iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on June 20, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
I cut some 2x cottonwood for a low boy about 6 years ago.  they are doing great.  sprayed with some boiled linseed oil.  does not crack as the softer wild fibers crush a little and then come back.  it hauls a bull dozer.
Hey Doc,
Can you buy linseed oil already boiled, or do you have to boil it?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Bruno of NH

You can buy boiled linseed oil at most hardware and building supply stores 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

they call it boiled, but now that means it has toxic chemical in it to help it dry.  confusing.  good luck.  even wally mart should carry it in the paint section by the gallon.  used in some paint applications, to add and help flow.  the drying agents are metals and toxic so not to use on "food safe" applications. "unboiled" linseed oil is safe but may remain tacky for some time.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Curlybirtch

Sliced up this beauty this weekend...too hot out for my northern blood, not sure how you guys south do it all the time, day 4 above 90 with high humidity, give me the snow and cold over this any day. Pretty wild grain, drying slow inside, will see if she holds up. Poplar
>

WV Sawmiller

I went ahead and cut my hickory strips from yesterday into tomato stakes. I got 249 tomato stake. 16 dozen 5' stakes, 2 dozen 4' stakes and 2 dozen 6' stakes (That's what happens when you mis- measure when cutting 10' strips in half :D.)

While I was doing this an old repeat customer came by and bought about 40 bf of mostly 4/4 ash. He wanted 4- 6' 2X2 strips for corners on a pie safe he is making for his daughter so I  cut 6' off a 12' LE 8/4 ash slab and resawed it into the 4 strips he wanted. He seemed happy with the order.

This guy often comes by and buys 20-30 bf assorted lumber. I know that would be a piddling nuisance for you big full time sawyers but it works fine for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

The first cedar truss today.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LeeB

Sawed about 120 bf of cedar and oak, all 4/4. Just cleaning up a couple of logs that were laying in front of the mill. I'll use it to  build more hutches.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 22, 2020, 05:26:19 PM(That's what happens when you mis- measure when cutting 10' strips in half :D.)
You only missed it by a foot :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Fortunately there is a market periodically for both of them so I will still be able to sell them. I have found the 5' ones seem more popular. I had sold all I cut last winter except 4-5 dozen still in the back of my truck. This should see me through the rest of the season unless I get an unexpected big order from someone.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

cutterboy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 22, 2020, 05:26:19 PM

This guy often comes by and buys 20-30 bf assorted lumber. I know that would be a piddling nuisance for you big full time sawyers but it works fine for me.
I'm happy with small time buyers. It gives me a few dollars and a chance to chat. ;D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Banjo picker

Working on these:

Took three down for a local vet.  One was dead and leaning towards his shed.  The other two were in decline and possibly would get his fence.  Used my winch to change their direction.  The one that was starting to spalt made some beautiful boards.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

firefighter ontheside

I had a big, gnarly looking walnut with crotch at both ends.  My buddy who makes projects with poured epoxy asked for two 2 1/2" slabs out of it to make a dining table.  He will dry them.  They turned out pretty neat with some neat figure.  Looks like hearts at one end.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Today it was northern poplar for trailer decking orders 2x8x14 and 2x8x10. 
Some was clear grade
Smiley likes listening to the Highway Men while sawing  :D

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

That is quite an operation.  Sawmill extraordinaire !!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 24, 2020, 11:48:46 AM
Working on these:

Took three down for a local vet.  One was dead and leaning towards his shed.  The other two were in decline and possibly would get his fence.  Used my winch to change their direction.  The one that was starting to spalt made some beautiful boards.  Banjo
Hey Banjo,
     I like your setup.  I will be building a saw shed for my LT40, then install my bed extension.  I notice you have your tires off the mill.  Do you suppose to remove them with a bed extension?
Can you post another photo of your mill setup?  Please?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

farmfromkansas

Doc Henderson, what would you think of cottonwood for deck flooring?  I have a neighbor who has an old building built entirely of cottonwood, framing, boxing, siding.  Who knows how old? 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

I think if you avoid direct soil contact, it should do well.  but add a water repellant finish or sealant.  It can be beautiful.  someone here finished the inside of their shop with CW as a utility grade covering, but put finish on it and gets all kinds of oos and ahs!  I will take a pic of the 18 foot slab I have out in the weather for 6 years with no finish.  I am sure it is plentiful.  the question may be weather to dry it first or just put it on wet.  I would build the framing with pressure treated I think.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Banjo picker

Here you go Brandi:

It's 17 foot tall at the eaves.  Don't really need that mush height.  Shed runs north an d south long side like you are looking.

Mill sets on the west side of the shed.  On the north end.

I have three of these roller tables with a rack by each one coming off the south end.  Slabs on on this first one ... product goes on the other two.  Mill has drag back feature, so I can an do run it by myself most of the time.

Here is some boards waiting to get put on the racks.  Setup works for me.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Resonator

Are those Willys Jeeps for hauling lumber?  ???
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

TimW

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 25, 2020, 08:39:10 AM
Here you go Brandi:

It's 17 foot tall at the eaves.  Don't really need that mush height.  Shed runs north an d south long side like you are looking.

Mill sets on the west side of the shed.  On the north end.

I have three of these roller tables with a rack by each one coming off the south end.  Slabs on on this first one ... product goes on the other two.  Mill has drag back feature, so I can an do run it by myself most of the time.

Here is some boards waiting to get put on the racks.  Setup works for me.  Banjo
Thanks Banjo.
hugs,  Brandi

caveman

I thought I spied a couple of Willys.  Thanks for  the tour.
Caveman

Banjo picker

I have 5 total.  4 wagons and 1 pickup.  Sawing lumber keeps getting in the way of restoring them. One is a doner that I take arts off.  Always wanted one when I was growing up.  Banjo

Larry

Natural edge slabs of course.

I had a couple of short cherry crotch logs to do first.  The owner was hoping for a bigger void for resin art.

The owner of this log told me it was an extremely rare "quad crotch walnut".

My partner said he could trade it for lots of dog bones!

I called it just another "pita" walnut.  I found two concrete screws and the blade found another four.  The owner got off lucky, one blade charge and he didn't loose much wood.  The figure was pretty.

Got another coming in soon (I hope).  866 board foot and 6,333 pounds.  I need a bigger mill!!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

I like those alien faces and eyes in those crotch slabs?
Howard Green

TimW

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 25, 2020, 10:28:25 PM
I have 5 total.  4 wagons and 1 pickup.  Sawing lumber keeps getting in the way of restoring them. One is a doner that I take arts off.  Always wanted one when I was growing up.  Banjo
Banjo,
     What are the dimensions of your roller tables.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!