The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: the weather 2020  (Read 9428 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: the weather 2020
« Reply #440 on: March 24, 2020, 04:38:04 AM »
Are these down at your driveway crossing? DOT don't install?

Yep snowing here to, but not much out there yet. Inch maybe.
Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #441 on: March 24, 2020, 06:09:55 AM »
That culvert order is at the hardware store I work at. We get a trailer truck full. We also get drainage pipe that comes in a coil, 6-8 inch stuff. I have no idea how many culverts we get,50? than about 20 rolls of pipe.
I just came in from doing a quick job on the driveway, about 6-8 inches of snow. It was not a real wet snow either. Have to go to work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline cutterboy

• Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #442 on: March 24, 2020, 07:25:55 AM »
I got my wish! The snow changed to rain and sleet last night. There's about 2" of icy snow on the ground. The clouds are breaking up and it's supposed to get warm 48F. Should get some good melting today. The driveway won't need to be plowed.

cfarm, I know what you mean about March storms. Some people take them as a personal insult. Some of the worst storms I can remember came in March.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Yeah, just an inch here, was over by daylight. Sun out now and pavement is bare and dry and my driveway is bare where I shovelled that inch off. I think it is near 40F here now, but that north wind has started to. Sitting in the direct sun feels like 70F. ;D Windows are certainly up in the house. :D
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #444 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
Nice day here now, 40F and climbing. No wind. Sap should move. :)

Move'n on.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #445 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
Lost quite a bit of snow overnight with the temp hanging around 40 and a steady south wind and now UP to 43. Luckily its overcast so that will hold back the melting some.

Offline 51cub

• Share Post
« Reply #446 on: March 25, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
About 5 inches of new snow yesterday morning. Alot of it had melted by the end of the day. There's still some clouds today but much more sun than yesterday. High 40s today then low to mid 50s through Saturday
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:32 PM »
58F here today and mostly sunny, but I could see cloud to the south of us. I see sugar shacks being fired up here this evening. :)

View from the porch. Just started a fire, so I'm sure some boiling will be taking place tonight. A very small family operation, I don't think they sell any. They have 5 kids in the family. They just put this together a week ago from an old truck body, put a roof on, flu and baffles. Looks like the ends are not closed in. Hillbilly style. :D

Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
At least they have a roof over it. ;D  This is what I did a few years ago.

I've been talking about building a sugar shack for a few years too. But it works. 
I saw 50 on the car thermometer. Sap should be going good. Below freezing at night, above freezing high noon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
Saves the wife's burners on the electric stove at the very least. Well the coil ones. :D

I've used them glass top stoves, it's on or off. Made sure I had a coil one in the new house. :D More efficient to.

I'm seeing steam at the neighbor's now. Syrup for pancakes in the morning. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »
Been rough the last few days just getting through the day with the new normal, but I had to take time to mark the event. It is officially spring here: We have peepers! 8) 8) 8)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:46 PM »
Mother couldn't resist and called the neighbors, they are eating the syrup on pancakes for supper. :D

Here is the moon, but I have a second shot which is of the moon and a celestial body above near the top edge of photo. I think it is a planet, which does not fit any path and rise time for the local area. But it could be a satellite, I know the weather man one time talked of one in the west in the evening, not the IST. I know E. Musk put a whole army a satellites up some time ago for communication. I seen video of them during deployment, looked like some of them videos from the UFO theorists. :D

Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »
Well we have robins here in the crab apples. :D Yes, I seen 3. We have total snow, but we have robins. :D
Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #453 on: March 28, 2020, 06:16:38 AM »
The geese are back. We have a pair that I think nest down by the brook and than they come up to the field to eat. We will see the youngsters when they want something to eat. :D
Been warm here,but the wind has been blowing. One day the wind is cold, next day the wind is warm. 
More snow coming in for the ones that thinks winter is over.  ;D
Maybe low 50's today!!! 
Still have snow on the edges of the fields. Melts the same every year.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #454 on: March 28, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
Nice and sunny here this morning. Was 30F before daylight so I suspect 50'ish sometime today. Lots of snow here, a bare patch here and there on some knolls where the wind blew it off. Lots of melting to do yet. Cool north wind today.  We had a little snow yesterday morning but it was all gone by days end. More on the way Monday I think. A lot of ice layers here in the old snow, so takes awhile to melt. Lots of robins singing, but they are not all here yet. Or I hope not, or else the population had a crash. The head pond is still ice here, so no geese unless they found a corn patch. Possible because some farmers here these days seem to leave a lot of corn for spring to plow up. That must be a real money maker. :D
Move'n on.

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #455 on: March 28, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
A wood chuck got run over. Poor thing was so cold and hungry it could not move.  :D  
Geese are on the outlet of the pond, kinda the start of a brook. Right on the edge of a bog, so really does not freeze over all winter. I use mulch on my garden. It's bare, but a frozen hunk of ground. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #456 on: March 28, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
Here at this farm 1/4 mile from the lakeshore the fields are about bare and only the 6 foot tall drifts remain. The new farm is ~5 miles as the crow flies inland from here and there is still 30" of snow on the ground and only the tops of the hills are bare. 

The lake being open keeps our temps warmer at night and there is almost always wind by the lake so things melt quicker.

The geese have been coming across the big lake steady the last couple days.

Raining now but the temp is supposed to drop and 3-6" of snow by morning. Temps next week look to cool back into the 30s.

Offline curdog

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #457 on: Yesterday at 07:05:54 AM »
Going to be around 85 today with accumulations of 1-2".... of pollen :snowball:

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #458 on: Yesterday at 09:36:50 AM »
I saw them geese here this morning down by the big lake (Williamstown L.). I also seen a coyote after two turkeys in the corn field up by the woodlot. I also heard another bunch of turkeys in my woods making a bunch of noise. Seen moose sign all along the road where I cut firewood last spring. A lot more robins here today, they are everywhere.
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2020 7.3 ford

Started by snowstorm on Forestry and Logging

99 Replies
Last post February 22, 2019, 06:13:41 AM
by snowstorm
xx
2020 ford f....

Started by snowstorm on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 06:48:22 AM
by snowstorm