The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Anyone purposely blue stain pine logs?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Share Post
    • Hickoryandoak
Anyone purposely blue stain pine logs?
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »
I have a fairly large white pine log about 10'x30" that I've left out in a field for about 2 years. I put in on the slabber yesterday and sawed a few slabs but it all looked like clear pine with no blue stain. Just wondering how long it usually takes or if white pine doesn't stain very well?

Don't do a lot with pine so I have little experience doing this. I do spalt sycamore and maple which usually take a few years.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Anyone purposely blue stain pine logs?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
Singing The Blue Pine Blues in General Woodworking

If you don't want to read the entire thread, start at reply #32. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »
I have not had any luck with getting blue stain into white pine, does not seem to matter how long I let them sit.  Yellow pine on the other hand, especially this past year - not a problem to get stain.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:38:52 PM »
Only the sapwood will blue stain, and on a big log most of it is usually heartwood.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 07:01:08 AM »
I have a lot of dead standing white pine on my land. Well did have a lot, been using it for wood in my OWB. I have cut many, with no bark on them,small limbs have broken off, standing for I have no idea how many years, some only a foot across some more than 2 feet across. I have never seen any blue stain in them. There has been some on the ground for years, and still no blue stain. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:03:15 AM »
Iíve been hit and miss, mostly miss, on blue stain, but from what Iíve learned, itís best you have a younger log with lots of wet sapwood, dripping sap, a hot and humid climate, and lay it in the hot and humid shade, not the sun because that starts to dry it out, and go buy a few chickens and have them poop on it.  That seems to be critical.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
"Natural" blue comes from beetles introducing bacteria which travels horizontally through the tree which effectively shuts off the nutrient flow and kills the tree.  The beetles then feed off of whatever is produced during this bacteria activity.  It should be visible on the bucked end of the logs.

"Unnatural" blue is mildew and is completely different.  I have effectively produced it by dead stacking sawn lumber. 

I know nothing about White Pine nor now to introduce blue into an unsawn log.  I would think that dead stacking would work, but that is a guess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »
It is a struggle every year to have pine without blue stain. By late April any pine that is cut must be sprayed to prevent it. It is the sap wood that turns gray/blue and that is where the high grade is. Nobody really wants blue stain pine . Any clear is the first to be spoiled so any real profit is gone. There some years is a brown stain that doesn't look so bad although that is considered a defect also.

Online Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »
Blue stain in EWP comes in hot humid weather, 80+F and the log needs to be fresh sawn. It will go through the sap wood overnight. Fresh sawn Dead stacked lumber in the same heat will get the same results. Letting a log sit for months or years, as you do for maple will not get blue pine.
Since the pine bore attacks a fallen pine within hours, I wonder if they bring the bacteria or fungi for the blue stain?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
Since the pine bore attacks a fallen pine within hours, I wonder if they bring the bacteria or fungi for the blue stain?
I see no way for beetles to introduce bacteria into a downed tree/log.  Yes they quickly go to work, but sap/moisture movement ceases when the tree is felled.

"Sawyers" are interested in laying eggs to produce young.  They munch, crunch, and bore pencil sized holes but do not produce blue.

After the tree is dead, it takes mildew to make blue. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
Blue stain starts after the 'wood' reaches a certain temperature while at a certain moisture content. If the moisture content can be lowered before the 'wood' reaches, say, 50 degrees the stain will not happen. This is one of many reasons why the small time mill needs to saw as many logs in the fall and stick the lumber so that it will be too dry to stain when the temperature rises. Keeping logs cool gives more time to get them sawed but clean sawed boards can stain anyhow as they warm up if they are too wet inside. This one of the reasons to leave cut logs on the ground in the woods. The whole thing amounts to heat damage.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
Yes !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline oakiemac

• Senior Member x2
  • God bless the U.S.A!
    • Share Post
    • Hickoryandoak
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Someone said that no one wants blue stain pine but I beg to differ. Lots of people want blue stained pine slabs, not sure about dimensional lumber.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »
For wall paneling it is terrific...One of my kids in the pic. It is also number one for box beams and cabinet work.

I use a LOT of blued pine.We laugh at how much blued pine we blow through each year...... :D :D :D :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 07:00:23 PM »
I have an order in the kiln of it right now. It's like any other product, some love it, some hate it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Someone said that no one wants blue stain pine but I beg to differ. Lots of people want blue stained pine slabs, not sure about dimensional lumber.
In a pine mill it will go for pallet. Blue stained logs sell for 1/3 the price of fresh logs if they sell at all. If you saw much pine you will have blue stain weather you want it or not. I have never had anyone ask for it but they sure do refuse it.  Take a fresh log that has a white sap band and leave it in the sun and the ends will turn black. You can peel it and watch the stain grow. It may spiral crack with the bark off. After it all turns dark saw it.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
   I don't saw an awful lot of pine and it has nearly all been white pine. Around here I can't imagine getting blue stained pine without a 3/8" diameter hole every few inches due to the borers.

Does WP even blue stain or is that unique to yellow pine?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline bags

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 08:25:37 PM »
I make a lot of BS from Ponderosa and Doug-Fir and it stains well as long as moisture stays present in the log--- our White Fir (pine) up here will rot before it stains.

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 09:16:23 PM »
Another marketing name to steer away from the word stain, is denim pine. Seen it used up here.
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
Our commercial sawmills will not accept blue nor dead/bark slipped logs which is why I saw so much beetle killed SYP.  Landowners are trying so salvage some value from their dead/dying trees/logs.  The great majority is sawn into framing lumber.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
blue stain pine logs,aspen logs, Colorado

Started by logloper on Wanted

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 09:52:24 PM
by logloper
xx
blue stain on pine

Started by gtr on Ask The Forester

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 08:37:20 PM
by Pullinchips