The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Question for the portable sawyers.  (Read 1192 times)

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Question for the portable sawyers.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »
I take checks and have only had one issue, so far.  The customer didn't have enough cash for the whole order.  He paid the difference by check.  Two days later I got a frantic call from him.  He pleaded for me not to deposit the check if I hadn't.  I had not. I usually make deposits on Mondays.  I told him he could have the check back if he brought cash.  He did and he got his check back.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »
You reminded me of what has happened a few times with me.  I have been asked if I could hold the check until whatever day then next week.  I always have and they have always been good.  These instances have been with businesses who transfer money into a different account to pay labor, etc.

Another instance but this time with cash.  Since very early on I carry a "till" which is ~$200 in 20's, 10's, 5's, & 1's.  More than once I have presented a sawing bill for a bit over $300, $400, etc.  The customer pulled out only hundreds indicating that he did not have smaller bills maybe thinking that I would round it down to the even hundred.  I reach for the till telling him that I can make change and amazingly they all of a sudden have smaller bills in their wallet.  Maybe trying to pull a slick one, maybe not.  Gotta always cover all of the bases.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »
   I would agree with Lynn on that - if the guy calls and says hold it then it will likely be good on the day he promised. The guy who plans to cheat you will never call and will avoid you like the dickens after you find the check has bounced. I only had one customer who split a payment after I finished sawing. He then told me he did not have all the pay but paid part and said he'd send the rest next week when his check came and he did. I was a little miffed about that one and would have greatly preferred he had just told me up front but it all worked out in the end.

I tell my customers I expect payment at the end of the job or weekly, whichever comes first. I often have customers offer to pay at the end of every day if we don't finish in one day. I usually tell them just wait but likely should take what is offered when offered. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 05:20:14 PM »
For the past three years when sawing my "sand box" job, I have regularly waited for funds to transfer before I could deposit checks.  Sometime they were for two weeks sawing and in the $3,000 to $8,000+ range.  No argument from me.  ;D

My sawing contract states when the payment is due and is agreed to by my customer before sawing begins.  As I previously stated, I have never had a payment issue with a customer.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
Another instance but this time with cash.  Since very early on I carry a "till" which is ~$200 in 20's, 10's, 5's, & 1's.  More than once I have presented a sawing bill for a bit over $300, $400, etc.  The customer pulled out only hundreds indicating that he did not have smaller bills maybe thinking that I would round it down to the even hundred.  I reach for the till telling him that I can make change and amazingly they all of a sudden have smaller bills in their wallet.  Maybe trying to pull a slick one, maybe not.  Gotta always cover all of the bases.
:D :D :D In your case Lynn I usually offer to round up to his nearest $100.00. As you indicated the client often suddenly finds the ten or twenty dollar bill he needed to make the correct payment. I always try to have some cash on hand to make change with, but its not usually needed. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline Dustin

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
Magicman I have read about your till in several threads. I am already planning to get one to keep in the truck. 

The information you guys share is invaluable to newbies such as myself. Thanks for taking time out of your day to help me. 
Richardson Sawmill
 20 Wood-Mizer LT50HD Wide
Husqvarna 390XP and 450 chainsaws

Just getting started but already know I have an addiction problem.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 06:51:12 PM »
In your case Lynn I usually offer to round up to his nearest $100.00.
;D

This would bring us to another subject; Tip.  I have never asked for nor encouraged getting a tip but I will always enthusiastically accept a tip.  I say enthusiastically because I want to accept a tip in the spirit in which it was given.  Declining a gift would be very bad manners.  The largest tip that I have ever gotten was $180.00.  :)   Most of my tips fall into the $25-$50 range.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:29 PM »
Yes a tip is a customer's way of recognizing professionalism, quality and effort.  Tips are more frequent now than early on and often it is the customer "rounding up" even though I am prepared to make change as well.  

It takes a few portable jobs to settle into a business routine and fee structure that you will be comfortable with.  I also provide a written invoice to my customer including the board feet sawn even if it is an hourly job.  I don't provide a copy of the tally sheet but am happy to review it with a customer.  I usually record the number of logs and board feet (lumber dimensions and qty) sawn as I go. 

I did wait in a guy's yard for a little over an hour once to get paid.  He went into the house "to get his money".  Went he came back he started trying to negotiate my price (I'm thinking his wife put him up to it).  I told him to pay what he thought was fair based on our agreement before I started sawing but if what he paid didn't cover the invoice, I had a crew on the way to load enough lumber to make up the difference.  He paid in full.  He won't be a future customer.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:29 PM »
  I show and will send, by e-mail or snail mail, a copy of my tally sheet if requested since I can't currently print on site. I have no problem with the client double checking the math and confirming our numbers. Usually he measured and counted and I recorded his figures and my spreadsheet with formulas does the math. Once I shorted myself and sent a corrected copy to the customer and he sent me a check for the difference. Another time a customer realized he had double counted several rows on a stack from the day before and I computed the overpayment he had already made and sent him a check the same day. I am confident both will call me again if they need more sawing.

The best tip I have gotten so far was $70 for a walnut tree I cut Thanksgiving week. The customer and his BIL unloaded the 3 logs off his trailer and we cut the butt log which was about 60% of the order on Tuesday, they could not return the next day so I finished the rest alone Wednesday based on his instructions and my experience and they picked it up Thanksgiving Day and he took it all back to Texas Sunday. We all had a lot of fun, he had some real pretty wood and was very happy with the results.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Question for portable sawyers

Started by VA-Sawyer on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post January 15, 2004, 05:19:00 PM
by oakiemac
xx
Portable Sawyers -- How far do/will you go to do a job?

Started by DR_Buck on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 07:45:16 AM
by Stephen1
xx
To the portable sawyers......

Started by hunz on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post December 15, 2014, 01:08:19 AM
by JustinW_NZ
xx
Portable sawyers gadgets