The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Doyle scale over run  (Read 865 times)

Offline donbj

• Share Post
Re: Doyle scale over run
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 11:30:54 PM »
Yah, they're helping us transition to the plantation resource of the future. They haven't planted the trees yet up here but.... yanno they're the government it doesn't have to make sense. The big one in my block is pipe. a 25cm diameter log can carry a 4 cm pipe and be compulsory. A 40 cm diameter can carry 19cm of pipe. A 50cm diameter can carry 28cm of pipe. A 60 can carry 34.... and by the time you get up to a 90 you can stuff a small child up the hole to look around with a flashlight. In these species the wood outside the pipe is perfectly fine.... pipe in no way affects the strength or durability of the surrounding wood. But it's pretty hard to get recovery when half the log is just a gaping hole. The upside of learning to run a mill for profit cutting trash is that when I get good logs like my privately sourced ones I am just plain lethal... bad logs will surely teach you how to run a saw if you don't go broke first.

Ahh ok, I get you now, that certainly changes the game. Here the size of the rot/pipe in relation to the diameter can pretty quickly turn it to grade 4 especially on smaller wood. Lots(butt ends) gets trimmed off in the bush if rot is showing. The larger western red cedar can be bad for hollow and heart rot and if it grade 4's in the bush it can be left or sometimes a post and rail fellow would buy it.  
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
doyle log scale

Started by hilltop on Forestry and Logging

21 Replies
Last post January 21, 2002, 09:15:53 AM
by CHARLIE
xx
31% over Doyle scale

Started by Larry on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2003, 03:51:34 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Ton to Doyle Scale?

Started by dad2nine on Sawmills and Milling

31 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 10:45:00 PM
by Tom the Sawyer
xx
(3) Different Scale(s) ~ Doyle, Scribner and Intl. < Why & Which One to Use ?

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 04:25:40 PM
by Gary_C