The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Norse 366 Logging Winch  (Read 1310 times)

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Norse 366 Logging Winch
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »
Listen to cfarm.His advice is right on the money.He is much better than me at managing the slash left behind.Yesterday I channeled my inner Ray and went back and cut up my slash to the Ray size.it makes a big difference.
The other tip that worked beyond great was to put a rolling hitch on to spin the log to limb the bottom branches.
Many thanks.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
@thecfarm 
@Hilltop366 

Got into bit of a bind with the new (to me) winch on saturday...hauling out my first twitch and the pull rope must have came loose and got caught on my studded chains and bent the engagement lever like it was a piece a piece of spaghetti.

those little pulleys that control the level are some frigging strong i would have thought the rope would break long before he steel would bend...but i guess thats the power of pulley ratio....

Needless to say a trip to the in-laws and some torch work got the lever back to a point that looks somewhat normal.  Also cleaned up the friction disc and plates on the chain sprocket and cable spool.

It seems to pull pretty well but the thickness of the friction material makes me wonder whether it needs a new piece (pictured to the right of the sprocket).  I was expecting a brake pad type of affair like newer winches...

Anyhow I got things back together sunday morning and pulled out several trees from around the house...no problems except coming up against rocks and stumps...the clutch just seems to slip and not try to pull the tractor any.  This picture is at the end of the day

Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Norse 366 / Stihl MS361

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
The slipping is normal, mine will slip too. Need something to give or something will break!!
I have seen my winch tip over rocks, dig up roots and still keep a coming!! Than sometimes I have a hard time moving the log.  ???  Just never know.
Sorry about the problems you had, just a learning now ain't ya.  ;)
There is a "L" welded on mine. Gives me a place to loop the rope onto.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »
I had to adjust the clutch mine this weekend, it was slipping a bit too easy.

At idle or just above I have to be careful no to stall the engine, if I do it just right I can make the tractor engine run backwards too!!

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
I can't tell for sure but to me it looks like with that size tractor and frozen ground the winch should pull the tractor around a bit before it slips. But you have to pull pretty hard on the clutch rope to get a good hard pull. How much does your tractor weigh ? Can you here the motor strain before it slips ?

gg 

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »
I can't tell for sure but to me it looks like with that size tractor and frozen ground the winch should pull the tractor around a bit before it slips. But you have to pull pretty hard on the clutch rope to get a good hard pull. How much does your tractor weigh ? Can you here the motor strain before it slips ?

gg
The winch will pull the tractor a bit with a good hard pull on the rope.  Tractor weighs roughly 6500lbs not including tire chains.  The engine will strain a bit while pulling but nothing major, I have opted to increase the RPM up a bit from idle since I seemed to get better results that way.   This past weekend I pulled out about 10 trees the small softwood pulls great its when i get to pulling in the hardwood they tended to plow snow up in front of the themselves and stop dead or get against the edge of the crusty snow and stop.

I've got the bug now though cutting and hauling out trees is addictive.  Good thing I have lots to clear out  :D  
Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Norse 366 / Stihl MS361

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
norse 450 logging winch

Started by hogs4hobby on For Sale

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 07:00:01 PM
by hogs4hobby
xx
Norse Logging winch question

Started by country on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2005, 09:04:46 PM
by country