The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Advise on Wood Mizer LT70 with full line for high production milling  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Advise on Wood Mizer LT70 with full line for high production milling
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
Actually if you look at the right side of the photo you will notice that it's actually a few bundles shy of a double whack.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline jb14972

• Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
Automation is king, build a 3 way power conveyor with multiple kickoffs. Only way to run with 3 guys instead of 4. 4th guy eats into your profits. Your gonna have to sort cants 7x9 and 6x8 and scabs. All of those need to be sorted with automation or you will be paying a guy to do it. Equipment operator can and should be doing multiple jobs and still move 100 logs to the mill per day but thatís only if he isnít handling product by hand all day. Watch the baker video with all the kickoffs, thatís what you need or close to it but it will cost some money. 

Cutting 100 logs a day is a hard day on an lt70 but that has to be your target to end up averaging 5,000í per day.

We are about to list our two lt70ís and buy a circle mill to increase production. Iím looking at a hurdle. Also donít buy new, all the equipment depreciates way to fast from woodmizer. Go through your own bank and get good interest rates and go run the equipment first that your gonna buy. 

You need to account for productive hours vs working hours also. I would suggest finding some motivated individuals that wanted to work off of a production based pay. A small operation will depend on everyone there to be efficient and knowledgeable. If your hiring random people you will be kicking yourself trying to teach them to edge and stack lumber let alone maintain their equipment. 

We averaged 6,500í per day in February with one of our lt70ís. Cutting mostly ties

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2020, 07:53:54 AM »
I had a look over a  secondhand Mebor 1200SP today - part of my ever expanding quest to find a new headsaw. At todays exchange rate $45k USD... seemed reasonable to me but not suited to my logs so I'll pass.

Yeahhhhhhhhh.... it'll do your 5,000 a day if you can keep logs coming in and material flowing away. 
And after lunch you can go fishing ;D 

First time I've ever seen a bandmill (rather than a band headsaw or band resaw) that I thought was a genuine producer. Not too shabby at all.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wood-Mizer LT70 with 62 CAT review

Started by Bibbyman on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2003, 01:09:07 PM
by Bibbyman
smiley
Wood-Mizer LT70 Demo

Started by MartyParsons on Shows, Events and Places to meet

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2005, 08:54:05 PM
by MartyParsons