iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse 290

Started by weekendlogger, February 07, 2020, 07:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

A nice picture of a tractor and winch. Yes, looks like a load on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Quote from: Stephen on October 29, 2020, 07:02:14 AM

My experience is the winch will pull more than the tractor has traction to pull - add a hill and some snow, this was all I wanted on 45hp.
That is my experience too.  The winch can bring you 2x more log than you can pull.  
If you can raise the butt up you have all the ballast weight for traction and now cant spin the back tires.  So instead you wheelie and cant steer.  Add weight to the front like a blade or loader or a grapple and some stubby logs, now you cant spin or wheelie.  So you pull wood until you snap something.  And this just scales up the whole way, from lawn tractors to 8x8s id bet.
Praise The Lord

dougtrr2

Quote from: mike_belben on October 29, 2020, 05:36:29 PM
Quote from: Stephen on October 29, 2020, 07:02:14 AM

My experience is the winch will pull more than the tractor has traction to pull - add a hill and some snow, this was all I wanted on 45hp.
That is my experience too.  The winch can bring you 2x more log than you can pull.  
If you can raise the butt up you have all the ballast weight for traction and now cant spin to back tires.  So instead you wheelie and cant steer.  Add weight to the front like a blade or loader or a grapple and some stubby logs, now you cant spin or wheelie.  So you pull wood until you snap something.  And this just scales up the whole way, from lawn tractors to 8x8s id bet.
I found that out also.  I had dropped a Red oak and cut it into 9' lengths.  It was 20-24" in diameter.  I could winch the log up to my little BX 24 but couldn't lift it to tow.  I didn't have far to go so I drove ahead to the limit of my cable (about 180') and winched the log to me.  Then I drove ahead and repeated the process.  About six or seven pulls later I had the 3 logs (one at a time) to the place where I was going to get them milled.  Then I felt like I had to chip all the bark off the trees so the dirt wouldn't tear up the sawmill blade.  I had hired a member here to do the job and knew that dirt was not a good mix with saw blades.
Doug in SW IA

thecfarm

Any brush that I leave in the woods I try to cut in pieces no longer then 2 feet. Yes, takes time!!!! But I have worked my tractor in the woods since 1993 and have no damage from limbs. This also allows the brush to get on the ground and rot quicker. A limb sticking up in the air 2 feet will dry out and be there for a while.
My land is hard to get around on and doing this I can drive through what I leave for limbs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kodiakmac

Quote from: thecfarm on February 12, 2020, 08:37:30 AM
g_man, you at the Master at a snatch block.
I rarely ever have to do that. If I did I would have a snatch block. Seems like 99% of the time I can get a straight pull to the winch.

And if the angle isn't too great, hooking a choker-chain around a tree and using the slider as snatch-block substitute makes a really quick way to get your skid around an obstacle. :)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

AndyVT

Not great pics but I was hauling smallish, 12 inch, tree length Hemlock maybe 60-70 feet and big pine 24 inch 30-40 feet. The M has no trouble moving that stuff with the Norse 450

Thank You Sponsors!