The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Steep learning curve... anyone out there running a double-ended chainsaw mill?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline shelby78

• Share Post

Offline Wal Nut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
So take this for what its worth but I believe there is ton of misinformation in this thread. I own a tree service and Chainsaw mill tons of  big logs with twin Stihl 660's and a Cannon double ended bar.

I have been too busy to reply to this thread until now. I don't know how to make this fancy with quoting the right people so I will cut and paste....

T A Derrickson said....No difference in time/ease in running two  powerheads vs one with a helper handle on the far end.

My Findings....I Believe this to be completely wrong. How can double the HP not have any effect on cut speed? The truth is it does speed up the cut. More power means faster cutting assuming all other variable are the same.....

offrink Said.The biggest problem I see with the csms running a double power head is what if you dont make it through on a single tank of fuel.

My findings..Both saw face up... There is no issue....

Wal Nut heard......What I'm finding out is that the double powerheads really don't offer much in the way of additional power, the second powerhead only takes up the slack. This is right from Granberg, and it really changes my thoughts on this setup as I did want to run 2 powerheads, hoping to drastically reduce my time per cut in longer/wider logs

My finding....Back to HP again... This statement is completely wrong and I have no idea why a big company would tell you this... Its like saying a car with half the hp will run the same quarter mile time as one with double.  The second saw isn't just taking up the slack...It is working just as hard as the other...

I video my cuts so I can check times so I know what cuts fast and what doesn't. I would only use one head if it was just as fast but it is not!

There is other things in this thread that I have not tested personally so I will not comment on.
Shelby, thank you. I'm not here to post misinformation as I'm sure you're aware, just passing along what the mfg's are telling me. I have zero real-world experience with the double powerheads, and it's disheartening to hear you say you've got plenty of experience showing otherwise, as I just ordered my setup yesterday. I CAN run double heads on it but will lose more capacity with 2 vs 1 head which isn't what I wanted to do, and ordered the bar length based on 1 powerhead. 
Thanks for contributing to this thread. If you have any videos showing the 2 vs 1 head, it would be nice to see. 

Offline offrink

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thanks! How much bar length are you losing running a double power head? 

Offline shelby78

• Share Post
You are not going to loose bar length with twin heads. Just take the dogs off the saw.... I wonder why my Helper handle looks brand new...

This is assuming a stihl 660/066 or smaller is being used. You may loose bar length with 880's..

Offline BLink

• Share Post
i thought about both saws being right side up.

It makes sense that both would be right side up. One faces the direction you are going and the other faces the direction you came from.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Double ended chop saw

Started by Stuart Caruk on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post August 29, 2017, 10:48:52 PM
by Trapper John
xx
double ended automatic tennoner

Started by Sec on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 10:19:22 PM
by Sec