The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: 570 hydro ax turn slow!  (Read 345 times)

Offline Emptypockets

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
570 hydro ax turn slow!
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
I have a 570 hydro ax joystick steering. All of a sudden it wonít turn left or right. I cleaned out the pilot valve under the battery box and it worked great. Cut all day no issues. Got to work yesterday and wonít turn again. Cleaned valve again nothing. I donít have a pressure gauge to check my pressures so Iím hoping that someone can say hereís your problem or check here. Iíve got a mechanic coming tomorrow evening but I need to fix it in the morning if at all possible. Any help is appreciated 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: 570 hydro ax turn slow!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 11:33:23 PM »
Did you remove the relief cartridge in the pilot control valve?  My expectation is that its hanging open.  A temp gun will read a bit hotter right at the valve cartridge if it is.  And you may hear a funny sound thru a stethoscope or long screwdriver while listening at the cartridge.  If so its fluid flowing over the relief instead of doing work in the steer rams.

Cant hurt to give it a few love taps right there on the cartridge.

Was there any trash in the valve?  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Emptypockets

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
Iíve cleaned the valve multiple times I went and bought a new valve and just put on it. Also all filters. Same thing. It starts out turning slow and the longer it runs itíll get to where it wonít turn at all. Also all my hydraulic functions get slower along with the steering. At first everything works fine except steering then it goes down hill. Nothing will work even cold unless itís almost full throttle. It started all of a sudden. Itís not been a long drawn out deal. It was performing excellent then this started. Could it be a pump maybe and if so any way of determining which one without gauges? My mechanic is dragging his feet about getting here and I canít buy the stuff I need for my own gauges. Thanks

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »
Yes, a pump with excess clearance between gears or vanes and pump housing will put out less flow volume which will reduce the pressure and probably the operating speed.   But a main system relief valve that is hanging open some or has a pitted or cracked seat will also allow a percentage of fluid to bypass the work cylinders and go back to tank.  This will cause low force and speed also.  But it will generate heat at the relief valve that can be located with an infrared heat gun. Its a very important hydraulic troubleshooting tool. 

Before spending any more on parts i would take the relief valve and/or pump apart and verify it is the issue.  The pump suction hose could also be collapsed inside if its black rubber.. Or there may be a clogged sump screen or filter in the system on the suction side.  

Does the engine load down and/or smoke like it used to when worked hard?  Still seen to have power?  Is there a torque convertor between the engine and the pump that could be low on fluid?

Offline Emptypockets

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:27:08 PM »
Iím not thinking itís a pump issue due to the fact that it gave me problems all of a sudden and then I cleaned a valve and it run like a singer sewing machine until the next morning. Now itís back in limp mode and the longer you run it the worse it gets. Are you familiar with a priority valve located under the cab right above the driveshaft? I was told this afternoon that could cause my problems. Thanks

Offline Emptypockets

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
Also I found the stuff I need to make up a pressure gauge so first thing in the morning Iíll be checking pressures 

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
It is a piston pump and they will go out in an instant.  Pressure should be around 3000psi at stall.  There is also a priority valve that could be causing your issue. The pressure hose from the pump willl  go straight to the priority valve.

Offline Emptypockets

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
Which pump will be my main pump? Thereís two or three on it

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »
I have never touched one of those machines and only have general industrial hydraulic knowledge, kiko is definitely the man i hoped would answer. 

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »
Sitting in seat, right hand side lower pump. The one on the top of the triangle pump box is the drive pump. Left side bottom pump is the saw pump.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hydro Ax 311 C????

Started by redprospector on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 03:38:56 PM
by redprospector
xx
Lt 35 hydro

Started by rwepinetree on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post July 07, 2016, 01:02:43 PM
by Weekend_Sawyer