The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Equipment moving question  (Read 1389 times)

Offline 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Equipment moving question
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »
Bruno if you're working in the woods and your Bobcat is on 14 x 17.5 tires, I have a set of Grouser (brand) over the tire steel stacks that have plenty of life in them. They also add iirc 1500 pounds and provide incredible traction as compared to a rubber track machine. Flotation - just a little but they also will increase your tire wear. They are rebuildable and are my old set. I found a deal on a new set as I believe the dealer was stuck with them, only the biggest SS machines run that size tires.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »
711ac
I will check the tire size 
I'm interested 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
The tracks won't work   
The tire size is 15 x 19.5
That's a bummer
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Running a trip with a 50K load truck with 9K onboard makes no sense. (unless you are back hauling and would otherwise earn zero)

I know of a truck that runs a regular 7000 mile return trip from Nova Scotia to California (frozen lobster meat) and returns empty every trip, seems crazy with all the produce that comes from that way but they want their truck back asap with no delays.

Now think about the value of the load, a tractor trailer full of lobster meat, the wharf price of live lobster was a bit over $10 per pound until the covid19 thing started and the sale to China stopped. Live lobster is about 20% meat by weight.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »

The logistics of organising and combining those different loads is where the Internet comes in.
Ian, im driving and dispatching several trucks these days all east coast from the wheel.  I have DAT and ITS and am on a headset all day, i need a second phone really.
Trust me, the two lowbidders into VT are noobs going broke unless they actually live nearby and want a load home. Thats the only time to run cheap into a hole. Because the truck is gonna run there empty otherwise.  Or if youre barge you might run cheap chasin tail but thats another story.   :D

Theres only a trickle of flatbed freight into VT at all and partials are a trickle of all freight, so two partials into there isnt too likely.. And two bidders with two partials even less likely.  What youre really seeing is the pricing of new vs experienced bidders.  $3/mile is what it takes to have a nice car in the driveway.  $1.50 a mile is what it takes to live year round in a truck and send your check to the wife in pakistandiaxaco.

Remember the 2018 "OMG TRUCKER SHORTAGE!" hoax? There was never a shortage, its just that for a while, all carriers agreed to haul for rates that they could live well on and most drivers wouldnt stay out for weeks, for less tha  they could make at a home every night job.  The megas then need fools without a "other work" option, who will work for $4/hr or so.  So they start screaming driver shortage to recruit immigrants to america, put them in a truck and exploit them to run for half price.  A few break out and get their own trucks but still are accustomed to the half rates and running like a dog lifestyle. I meet them all the time since i live in a truck too now.  

Brokers are all too happy to say their only getting 50 bucks when theyre really getting 50%.  Truckin is a mess right now. 

Revelation 3:20

Offline 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
The tracks won't work  
The tire size is 15 x 19.5
That's a bummer
If you like, I can measure the actual track width where the tire sits. That is the only critical dimension as the length of the tracks is adjustable by using different holes in the links and adding or removing links. My wheelbase is very long at something like 63", so if your tire fits in the track well is all that really matters and I'd estimate that you would be removing a track segment or 2. The only other "thing" is clearance to the machine, some require a spacer (my Gehl did) and they were pretty salty at about $450 iirc. Here's a link.
bar-tracks From looking at their site, your 15 x 19.5 IS a different part # and no longer made. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Moving Logs without Equipment (pictures)

Started by Mark M on Sawmills and Milling

38 Replies
Last post May 04, 2004, 02:43:01 AM
by Swede
xx
Moving Logs & Beams w/o Equipment

Started by quadracutter222 on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 09:22:15 PM
by ScottCC
xx
Help moving mill equipment from TX to midwest