Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Quote from: Roxie on November 25, 2020, 10:31:58 PM
All this negativity is making me cautiously optimistic.  :D
Yes, it's one test that you actually want to fail. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

Doc's situation & test result begs the question that some people might be resistant to the covid-19? Makes me wonder how many couples/families have had a resistant experience in home or co-workers inside a close space over time and no positives? 
Of course many positive tested people have no clue where they picked it up. 
I've failed the test twice to date, but in my case it's expected not unexpected. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Texas Ranger

My eldest works for a national company that places medical staff, they were one of the groups that came up with retired and military personnel as fillers where needed.  She had a trip to Maryland for a hospital client and reported that, while bad, did not meet her expectation gathered from the news media.  

We did not like the fact of her travel during all this nonsense but it is her job.  They use every practice to minimize exposure and test on a regular basis. 

She and her family will not be with us this Thanksgiving, nor will my youngest daughter, both have kids in school systems and wish to protect us old folks.

God bless American and her citizens, we will come through this.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

barbender

Doc, you tough ol' booger, those viruses must just bounce right off of you!😊
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

they take a taste, spit it out, and move on.     :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I believe in the strengthening of the immune system, but not being neurotic about cleanliness.  I don't use antimicrobial soap and hand sanitizer as a rule.  I believe some folks have healthier immune systems because of it.  That being said, I am very careful about exposure.  I wear N95 most of the time when at places like walmart.  I also believe that in general my exposure here at the FD helps me to have a strong immune system.  In spite of that, I believe that this being a novel corona virus my immune system as strong as it might be is ill equipped to fight off the virus.  I've not had an antibody test to see if I had it  earlier in the year.  I doubt that I was, but just like Doc, my exposure is high.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

in pediatric training, docs get lots of colds and stuff from all the kids.  we have to make sure we do not give something to a kid on chemo or getting a bone marrow transplant.  after a few years we mostly do not get sick often.  It is like getting a booster for all the stuff we had as kids ourselves.  I use the hand sanitizer in and out of rooms so I do not give it to the next person I see.  It has been a rule for a long time and promoted for years.  I had not drank the kool-aid in the past, but now I do it for this infection to slow the spread.   :)  be safe includes others.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

When I ran a juvy treatment program for ~14-16 yr old males, we got tuberculosis exposed kids far more than the general population contained. I had 3 such boys in the 4.5 yr's I did that job. It was recommended that staff all get the screening xrays which were read by a doc trained for that job. We all came up negative though. 

Gary_C

Quote from: Gary_C on October 17, 2020, 10:35:25 AM

Finally, Bertoletti's team looked for such T cells in blood samples from 37 healthy individuals with no history of either COVID-19 or SARS. To their surprise, more than half had T cells that recognize one or more of the SARS-CoV-2 proteins under study here. It's still not clear if this acquired immunity stems from previous infection with coronaviruses that cause the common cold or perhaps from exposure to other as-yet unknown coronaviruses.

Scientist have generally believed there was no cross immunity with virus  but that belief may be proved wrong. 
This is from a previous post I made about T cells which we do not know enough about right now. So it's entirely possible that some sort of T cell immunity can be gained from frequent exposure to colds. There is even some suspicion that frequent exposure to animals like cows may impart some very long lasting T cell immunity from Covid-19.  
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

nativewolf

Not medical facts but a fact:  my first subcontractor has come up positive. He and his wife had a baby and a day care worker got it and so now they are in quarantine.  They are in late 20s and very healthy, will be fine just lost taste and smell and energy.  First person that I work with that has had issues.  He is a great young forester that logs but he does some of our prescribed burning and herbicide work.  

Liking Walnut

Old saw fixer

I hope they all get better with no lasting results!  My oldest daughter felt punky with a 100° fever so she went to an urgent care and got tested- negative for flu, strep and Wuhan. Thank God.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

kantuckid

While trying to hide from the vacuum cleaner and taking a snack after the rugrats left I read the WSJ Travel section and an article on where people are going now. Mexico, PR, CR, Aruba and the Dominican Republic are mentioned but moist going to Mexico. 
This doc is quoted as saying, "it's not where you go so much as how you go" suggesting proper protocols for covid. Then in the exact same paragraph it says some airlines hold the middle seat and some say masking but no enforcement while others will ban you for not minding. 
Those countries allowing Americans in as mentioned above mostly have a 72 hour negative test requirement prior to boarding or entry. 
Hard for me to see the sense in the test overall as the next steps are to leave the safety net of home and begin using public transportation, esp. airplanes and roam airports, all not the best place to hang out now days besides hotels? 
Some travelers felt they were safer elsewhere than a hot spot home area and further justified travel by saying they be doing outdoor activities. maybe so to the extent they're not in all the other not outdoor places to get there. I'll pass on travel for now, as much as I'd like to do some. Our golden years are marching along during covid but guess it's a time to be glad I'm negative and have plenty of close by entertainment from my log pile. 

Don P

We'll know in a couple of weeks how bad Thanksgiving travel is going to beat us up.

A young very healthy couple I've worked for has it, he's pretty much over it, she is having a rough time.

I heard on "Science Friday" they did sequence the genes on a person that got it twice, they were different strains of the virus. I think everyone who has gotten it a second time has been asymptomatic. I assume they can spread it but apparently they don't get really sick the second time, sort of immune i guess.

QuoteThere is even some suspicion that frequent exposure to animals like cows may impart some very long lasting T cell immunity from Covid-19.  
That kicked off a memory of something I read one time. Apparently when Europeans first arrived here they remarked at the large stature and good health of the Native Americans compared to the smaller frame and general not so good health among their people. One thought was that the Europeans were basically living on top of domesticated livestock and had been for hundreds of years, passing disease back and forth. The flip side of that we know, the First People also had no immunity to those diseases. I'm not sure where we fit in with this current virus, I imagine it will be some time before we really know.

brianJ

Quote from: Don P on November 28, 2020, 03:08:53 PM

QuoteThere is even some suspicion that frequent exposure to animals like cows may impart some very long lasting T cell immunity from Covid-19.  

Well I take care of cattle on a daily basis and have not had a sick day in more than 15 years.    

Peter Drouin

I'm still waiting for my 19 test to come back. In the meantime, I'm going to get a cow. Then when the virus is over I'll fill the freezer. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ed_K

I guess Vt. just got locked down, on Fri. the news for western Ma. said that we can't go to Vt. Rita just bought a car up there and now she can't go back to have a check of all the operating electronics so we know how to drive the Dang thing ;D :(.
Ed K

kantuckid

Quote from: Ed_K on November 29, 2020, 08:00:00 AM
I guess Vt. just got locked down, on Fri. the news for western Ma. said that we can't go to Vt. Rita just bought a car up there and now she can't go back to have a check of all the operating electronics so we know how to drive the Dang thing ;D :(.
Thank God or AG for the internet! 
Seriously, don't you know a millennial or a GenX'er to line you out on yer cars gizmos? :D 
Our 2019 Lincoln still does door lock stuff we can't figure out and I fixed cars for a living! ;D

DbltreeBelgians

Well they sent my dad home yesterday. Really not sure why. We haven't even got our test results back yet and I've taken a turn for the worse. Having a rough time breathing and the coughing nearly takes me to my knees. 
I got the nebulizer and albuterol out but I have a hard time inhaling without coughing so bad I feel like I'm gonna shake the boys loose. 
I just hope dad is good enough to take care of himself because I'm spent.
I hope all of you stay safe as this really blows and I don't wish it on anyone.

Brent

doc henderson

if you breathing gets worse, go to ed and get and cxr, and it would have a certain look if it is covid, or other things like pneumonia can be picked up.  check your oxygen level if you can and be sure you do not need to be in the hospital.  If your dad is breathing ok, then there may be nothing they are doing for him in the hospital, and if like us, they need the bed.  

firefighter ontheside

Like doc said, don't wait too long to go to hospital.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Our DIL is a hospice nurse who works 3 days a week most weeks. She is now positive evidently from a co-worker. Their 3 girls have been with us since last Monday but neither they or we have shown any signs yet. We will go get them tested tomorrow. They were in contact with this lady (the co-worker) about 12 days ago (she brought them their Christmas gifts and they hugged and thanked her). Hopefully she was not contagious at that stage as now would be 12 days since exposure for them. In the mean time we have 3 refugees and will see in the morning if we have enough bandwidth for all three to do virtual classes at the same time. I suspect we will have them a couple more weeks till their mom gets over it and also to see if our son avoids it or he rides it out too. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Best of luck with this Howard. Mostly I hope the DIL comes through this OK, that is number one. As for the online school, we have been doing the '3 boy thing' here for a couple days a week for months now (feels like years). Neither the wife nor I can use any other devices while they are schooling and it gets really confusing and stressful with 3 different schedules to keep track of, plus some of the teachers schedule an 'event' but don't post a proper link. We do what we can but sometimes you just have to go for a walk. ;D
 Best of luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

That sounds like our situation. One 3rd grade (Elem), one 7th (Middle) & one 9th (HS) so all go to different schools and this is the first time our/their school system has tried this although they have done a good bit of training over the internet so far. They stressed no family members or pets in the room with the kids I guess to prevent distractions and echo/feedback during class. We will see if I can keep Sampson quiet that long, I think they start at 0900 and last one may end at 1400. We still have to get them in for covid testing so have to see what is available tomorrow. We will see how this works out. I may be spending all day in the deer blind or at the barn to stay off the internet and out of the way. Supposed to be raining so no sawing and limited woodworking.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

donbj

You guys looking after those kids like you do are a blessing in their lives far beyond what you know! It's hard, been down that road as well but hang in there.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Roxie

Things my grandparents taught me. Nanny said that "vultures and hummingbirds both fly over the same desert. The vulture is looking for dead and rotted meat while the hummingbird is looking for bright flowers. Both find what they are looking for."  

In a discussion with my grandfather about how to forget bad things, he replied that "you can't help the birds that fly over your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair."

Irreplaceable wisdom. Y'all are an inspiration and this is my way of being supportive since I can't give each of you a hug. 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!