The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.  (Read 22905 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
Re: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.
« Reply #600 on: July 13, 2020, 10:45:11 PM »
I think thats excellent. You know that has made a difference not breathing all that dust 👍👍👍

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #601 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:49 AM »
I see you have the cupcake, Magicman- happy birthday, friend!
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #602 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:49 AM »
Happy Birthday Magicman 🎂

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #603 on: July 14, 2020, 01:31:55 AM »
Happy birthday to you!  cha cha cha!   fiddle-smiley smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_old_guy

Happy birthday to you!  cha cha cha!   fiddle-smiley smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_old_guy

Happy birthday Dear @Magicman !   fiddle-smiley smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smile_banjoman smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_old_guy

Happy Birthday tooooooooo you!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Tacotodd

• Full Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #604 on: July 14, 2020, 06:01:02 AM »
 :D THAT is one HUGE megaditto!

Happy Birthday celebrations, and MANY MORE, as long as you are comfortable, able, & willing!!!

TA
Trying harder everyday.

Online Sedgehammer

• Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #605 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
Here about a tenth of the people wear a mask. We do not. I really don't go anywheres anyways. We do have friends over that aren't overly worried about it.
Wife wears one at her clinic. Patients are required. She's had 2 known exposures. One lady had gotten really close to my wife fir a lengthy time that came back positive. Her daughter was whom my wife was seeing. 
Gov has  no authority to require a face mask or stop your movement outside without one. A business has a right to deny you entry without one, same as no shoes, no shirt , no entry. 
I for one do NOT look to my governor or president for direction or as an example. Especially the presiden . He gets tested more than any human on the planet. If he's not worried about catching it, then he shouldn't wear a mask. 

Online Sedgehammer

• Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #606 on: July 14, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »
I'll add something really important. We did name our female Great Pyrenees Covi. She's expecting. I suppose we'll need to come up with appropriate puppy names. Problem is, since they'll be mostly all white, can't tell them apart. Anyways, I knew this wood help you with this crisis. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #607 on: July 14, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »
Happy birthday Magicman. Play safe out there. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline lazyflee

• \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #608 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
The virus has hit my restaurant. My wife and 1 employee tested positive. All others negative so far and a few waiting results. Tough to close my place for 2 weeks during July. Nurse says I most likely have it also even though I tested negative. 14 day isolation time. Good thing I recieved a logging truck load of Doug Fir a couple days ago, got something to do!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #609 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:29 PM »
Yep, Happy Birthday Lynn!

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #610 on: July 14, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
lazyflee, I anticipate you will all do well, and I hope you do!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline lazyflee

• \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #611 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:23 PM »
lazyflee, I anticipate you will all do well, and I hope you do!
Thanks Doc. Most all are asymptomatic, My wife and I have had some fatigue (hits pretty hard at times) I felt great today. My wife has basically allergy symptoms. She had slight fever last week but nothing too high 99ish. We will be fine...I hope!

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #612 on: July 15, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »
We will be fine...I hope!
Hope so too, odds are on your side. 

The majority of folks that catch it only get mild or "flu" symptoms, although they can hang around for a while. That's part of why it's so difficult to stamp out, some people can be carrying it and not even know. Then they go out for dinner and wham, 5 more cases. 

Self isolating out at the mill is a good plan.  ;)

It's the 5-10% that get it bad and end up in hospital that is the worrying part. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #613 on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
    My close friend and old hunting buddy I mentored down in N. Fla said his wife tested posited for it and he evidently has it. Described it as flu like symptoms. He is concerned his 80+ y/o mom may be showing symptoms too. He stepdad fell and broke his hip and neither of them could go help out so their son who tested negative is helping. Of course both of them are in self-quarantine for a couple weeks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
The virus has hit my restaurant. My wife and 1 employee tested positive. All others negative so far and a few waiting results. Tough to close my place for 2 weeks during July. Nurse says I most likely have it also even though I tested negative. 14 day isolation time. Good thing I recieved a logging truck load of Doug Fir a couple days ago, got something to do!
Since you said everyone was asymptomatic what was the impetus for testing? Routine or contact tracing?  I've been watching https://testandtrace.com/state-data/ and Montana usually scores well, recently the positive test rate jumped up which could be noisy data
As a follow up question if someone from Georgia happened to show up, would I need to be isolated for 14 days? Could I choose which river to spend my time fishing? Any suggestions on fly patterns? Lodging, etc?

Offline lazyflee

• \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #615 on: July 15, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »
Since you said everyone was asymptomatic what was the impetus for testing? Routine or contact tracing?  I've been watching What U.S. States Are Ready To Test & Trace? and Montana usually scores well, recently the positive test rate jumped up which could be noisy data
As a follow up question if someone from Georgia happened to show up, would I need to be isolated for 14 days? Could I choose which river to spend my time fishing? Any suggestions on fly patterns? Lodging, etc?
 I said "most" were. Since last post another tested positive. An employee called in last week not feeling well and was on way to get tested as he das a newborn son. We had decided this spring if anyone didn't feel good, we would close and get tested. Was a wise decision I think! No quarantine for tourists right now. And yes, our cases are spiking. Governor ordered mask mandate this afternoon. All rivers are good, water levels are good. Dry fly season right now, all the regulars (caddis, mayflies, stoneflies, and hoppers will be coming on).

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
« Reply #616 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the update. I've been on the Bitterroot when the stoneflies are hatching. Before "That Movie" came out. I've done some dumb things but I haven't done any lately. Not sure how accurate it is, but I found one source that ranked staying at a hotel is about the same risk as waiting in a Dr office. Figure by the time I finish my plans I'll know if this recent blip in Montana is noise, or significant. PPE mandates don't bother me. that's for the tin foil hat crowd that live in constant fear. 

With my poor casting skills most folks are going to keep pretty serious social distance. If needed I can always tie on a heavy weighted Clouser (barbless of course)

Offline SpaceBus

• Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #617 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:34 AM »
The complications from covid that don't result in death are most worrying for me. The military has said they won't take any recruits that have tested positive for Covid in the past, so it must be pretty bad. The numbers of folks who were "asymptomatic" that later show horrible lung damage, stroke, decreased organ function, and/or psychosis are staggering. 

Have the researchers managed to figure out how long the virus can live in our bodies? Another fear I have is that this will turn out to be more like Tuberculosis than the flu. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #618 on: July 16, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
too soon to tell.  many of the post infectious complications of dx. are inflammatory, meaning your own immune system takes out our tissue in the process of ridding our bodies of the foreign invader.  type one diabetes is often from an antibody against a virus that cross reacts with out pancreatic cells.  Most of the data that will inform us on long term complications will by definition take years to sort out.  I think these will be few.  I hope the corona is a one and done.  the flu virus can mutate each year and start over.  Or at least we get a handle on it, and it is never this bad again.  Things like small pox was horrible at one point, and now all but eradicated via vaccine.  Many of the deaths from covid were from other diseases, and some of these would have died anyway, like a heart attack person who happened to have covid.  It is reported as a covid death.  people who get retested, and are + have been counted twice.  usually a person clears the virus in a few weeks and shows antibodies, and are presumed immune.  for how long we do not know.  hard to tell if we will be immune for 10 years for a virus we have only known about for a year or less.  we have known about other common corona viruses for years.  Politics has tainted the reporting and treatment of this dx.  wear a mask if you are asked to by a business or in a crowd. help your elderly neighbors if you can.  be a good citizen.  keeps the first responders and hospitals from being overwhelmed.  thanks!

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
« Reply #619 on: July 16, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
too soon to tell.  many of the post infectious complications of dx. are inflammatory, meaning your own immune system takes out our tissue in the process of ridding our bodies of the foreign invader.  type one diabetes is often from an antibody against a virus that cross reacts with out pancreatic cells.  Most of the data that will inform us on long term complications will by definition take years to sort out.  I think these will be few.  I hope the corona is a one and done.  the flu virus can mutate each year and start over.  Or at least we get a handle on it, and it is never this bad again.  Things like small pox was horrible at one point, and now all but eradicated via vaccine.  Many of the deaths from covid were from other diseases, and some of these would have died anyway, like a heart attack person who happened to have covid.  It is reported as a covid death.  people who get retested, and are + have been counted twice.  usually a person clears the virus in a few weeks and shows antibodies, and are presumed immune.  for how long we do not know.  hard to tell if we will be immune for 10 years for a virus we have only known about for a year or less.  we have known about other common corona viruses for years.  Politics has tainted the reporting and treatment of this dx.  wear a mask if you are asked to by a business or in a crowd. help your elderly neighbors if you can.  be a good citizen.  keeps the first responders and hospitals from being overwhelmed.  thanks!
Thanks Doc. Somehow wearing PPE has become politicized. Nobody needs to tell me to wear safety glasses, kevlar chaps running a chainsaw, etc. Eyes and ears at the gun range. I do them willingly. My thinking is we'll need to deal with this situation for an indefinite period into the future. Whatever the new normal is.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Crown

Started by kenfrommaine on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 07:13:16 AM
by Czech_Made
xx
Crown or step

Started by Treehuggers on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 05:59:15 PM
by Treehuggers