iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feller buncher saw disk cracks

Started by air1514, March 20, 2020, 11:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

I have a timber king feller buncher with a hydro axe hot saw head on it. The disc is cracked about 3 in from the edge towards the center at every tooth.  Can I just weld those cracks up ? Thanks 

timbco68

no , your disk is shot. That is where they crack

sawguy21

Replace it! If it comes apart you don't want to be anywhere near the vicinity.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I'm pretty sure once it cracks, you need to replace it. When those discs come apart, you could kill someone on the landing 1/4 mile away!
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

air1514

Bigtree1986

I have a hydro ax 470 blades been cracked welded it 5 years ago still going 

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Bigtree1986 on December 11, 2022, 04:14:33 PM
I have a hydro ax 470 blades been cracked welded it 5 years ago still going
I'm sure your insurance underwriter has no problem with that.

Bigtree1986

Well when your stuffs paid off and only family  me and my dad work and only do private  sales no need for insurance  

timbco68

Bigtree1986

I can understand  if someone  is out in woods while your cutting when cutter going slasher going so no slider out there to get hit plus if u did a shity job ya wouldn't trust it I know  a lot of people  that have done this you have the same chance of losing a tooth or a new blade breaking  as a welded one 

moodnacreek

Although I have no experience with logging equipment, saws get welded all the time by saw 'filers'. Saws need to be inspected often for plate cracks and when found drilled at the very end [of crack]. Sometimes that is all that is needed but always inspect to make sure the crack is not walking. On a high speed cut off saw a crack will often scream as it vibrates. This is a warning. Any crack that can not be controlled means that saw is junk.

kiko

Yea you need a new disk.  You can't take the disc off and set it on some jack stands and put a steel plate over the center.  And you can't  GRIND the cracks out completely for 100 percent weld , no torch cuts.  And you can't put a fish cooker under the middle and heat the whole disc.  And you can't weld it with mild steel mig or tig while hot. And you can't bury the hot disc in sand to cool to cool slowly. It just can't be done , don't even try it!

Thank You Sponsors!