The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: How much wood can you hand cut in a day?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Mdoeme

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
How much wood can you hand cut in a day?
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
I知 just curious how many cords per day per person can cut?   I知 working on a hardwood stand of pretty nice red oak with mixed hard maple, birch, ash.   Cutting tops down to 4 inches.  Just a rough guess is appreciated.

Offline Escavader

• Full Member x2
  • Sawmill/Planermill operator since1984
    • Share Post
Re: How much wood can you hand cut in a day?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
Too many varibles .how bigs the wood,how big is equipment,terrain,how big are tops hundreds of varibles
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
With a 40hp tractor, 3pt winch and being fussy, this is on my land, I use to cut a cord a day. This is with trees really no bigger than a foot across too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
8 hr days cut and skid with single bunk forwarder. 5-15 cord depending on size,sorts, skid length and terrain. That痴 cutting down to 4. 

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »
I've always found it easier if im pulling the top wood to cut the easy good wood off the top, pile them in 1 spot and pull the tops separate, then you can clean the tops off and not fight it. Should be able to cut 5-10+ cord ? Depends what your skidding with ? 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:20:28 PM »
Honestly 5 cord is just bad everything. But I致e had those days🤨

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
I知 just curious how many cords per day per person can cut?   I知 working on a hardwood stand of pretty nice red oak with mixed hard maple, birch, ash.   Cutting tops down to 4 inches.  Just a rough guess is appreciated.
In addition to the variables others have cited, define "cut". Are you just talking about getting trees on the ground, or limbing and bunching trailside, or hauling them home as well?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Mdoeme

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:41:53 AM »
I知 talking about just cutting. Limbing and bucking and letting it lay.   We池e going through spring break up and equipment will mostly make a mess.  I知 just going to cut it and forward it out when I can.  It痴 pretty flat ground.  It痴 a mix of 25 inch dbh oak down to 6-8 dbh hardwood.  The mixed hardwood is straight and clean.  Getting 4-6 sticks Pulp sticks per tree.  That痴 100 inch wood.  Cutting random logs 8-12 footers and cutting out boxwood

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 07:53:26 AM »
In the shortwood days (5 foot wood loaded on a single axle truck), the target was a load per day per man + one for the truck.  These were 5 cord loads.  This was usually plantation grown pine averaging about 7" DBH when thinned.

Wudman 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
10-30 cord just cutting. I only cut and dad skids and I can cut more than he can skid in most all types of wood. I averaged 15-20 per day for 2 months on a good hardwood clear cut. And I wasn稚 hitting it hard. Otherwise wood gets buried in the snow. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »
Im in feet and doyle scale , Already sent 3 loads this week and truck will be on my landing at 7 am tomorrow , not sure on total scale but first load had 11,195 feet on it so say 30,000 so far . So if no problems I would think I should hit 50,000 feet for the week pretty easy so that 10,000 feet a day , Im a one man show so that cut skid buck up and pile AND Im getting old and slow , sore and not a nice person to talk to most days LOL, just ask my wife

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 01:48:32 AM »
Ehp, I think you're nuts! Putting up that much wood in a week, I can see why you wouldn't be any fun to talk to😊
Too many irons in the fire

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 06:18:05 AM »
Barbender  you should see if I break something , then the stuff really hits the fan ;D. Im in good timber right now so makes cutting easier , trees are tall and hold their diameter pretty good so that helps a lot to . I have seen some days where Me, myself and I do not even talk to each other , it gets pretty bad

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 06:54:28 AM »
Im in feet and doyle scale , Already sent 3 loads this week and truck will be on my landing at 7 am tomorrow , not sure on total scale but first load had 11,195 feet on it so say 30,000 so far . So if no problems I would think I should hit 50,000 feet for the week pretty easy so that 10,000 feet a day , Im a one man show so that cut skid buck up and pile AND Im getting old and slow , sore and not a nice person to talk to most days LOL, just ask my wife
Logs only? Or whole tree? I cut 4 or more sorts per species and if it痴 straight enough down to 4 or smaller🤫 

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 07:05:56 AM »
Barbender  you should see if I break something , then the stuff really hits the fan ;D. Im in good timber right now so makes cutting easier , trees are tall and hold their diameter pretty good so that helps a lot to . I have seen some days where Me, myself and I do not even talk to each other , it gets pretty bad
Ed, You a funny guy.....
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:06 PM »
I cut whatever I can sell and that normally goes down to 8 inch top . I do very little firewood cause here you cannot give it away and I mean give it away free, no one wants it . Gas to heat your house runs about $80 to $100 a month so wood is a no go around here.

Online nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 07:05:54 PM »
Well I am the slow poke I guess.  We put out a trailer+ a day if lucky but not EHPs crazy trailers.  We are doing less than half of his numbers.  However it is all fiddly select cut and I don't take too many risk and we have streams and SMZs that are a real pain in the rear.  We have to pull all the tops out of streams and since about half the trees want to go there, and they really want to go there.  We let em fall in and drag them out.  Slows things.   Mostly I am not the feller some of the guys are.

In any case, we are slow.  We only cut trees that have a veneer or something like it in the butt.  We only cut to a 12" top as I don't even have a pallet wood market that is useful.  I lose money touching pallet or firewood sorts of stuff and even tie logs unless white oak.  I get 75% more for bridge timbers than tie logs and they also take to a 12" top so if at all possible it is bridge timbers for the knotty top stuff.  We got 3 forwarder loads out on Monday and that was a record for us on this job (Ponsse Elephant- 18 ton and we don't overload it..on purpose).  Today was  a good day, got a new buyer.  If we have a 12" tree that has bad form we drop it to make way for better timber.  Anyhow, I am adding detail so you'll see that production really varies depending on the type of harvest and equipment and experience.  Also we top down to knee height.

Rather than work on production I work on selling the good stuff.  Constantly on the phone looking for markets.  We are averaging very nice $ straight through which is good for this small WO we are fighting.  Too much taper...knots start too low, big branches too low too.   It will be nice to finish but the post harvest will look good with lots of sun for regrowth and shaded save trees (proper harvest is all) and that's what we really care about.  

Liking Walnut

Offline Tarm

• Full Member x2
  • White Pine Fever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
We only cut trees that have a veneer or something like it in the butt.  We only cut to a 12" top as I don't even have a pallet wood market that is useful.  I lose money touching pallet or firewood sorts of stuff and even tie logs unless white oak.  
I find a world with markets like that inconceivable. I had my 75 acre maple/oak stand thinned. The loggers took out 37 truck loads of product and not a single sawlog. You could count on one hand the number of sticks bigger than 12". It all went for pulp and pallet bolts. I guess I should be grateful for the markets I have.
How does anyone do forestry with markets like nativewolf has?

Online nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
Our average truck brings 5-6k, so 5 truck sent out last week and I am thrilled.  Just have to free yourself from a fiber production point of view, very liberating.  We are thinning in our own way.  I am very much looking forward to seeing @ehp area this summer, I believe it is the best managed uneven aged hardwood in NA, we will see.  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
NW, you better count on maybe next year coming up here. I do not think you can cross the border this year . Like I posted before their counting on this lasting 18 to 24 months unless they find something to stop this virus

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
wood spliting by hand

Started by bendjoseph on Firewood and Wood Heating

83 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 07:41:44 AM
by streem26
xx
Trying my hand at a Wood ID--SOLVED

Started by Mesquite Man on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

13 Replies
Last post November 22, 2002, 07:21:10 AM
by Texas Ranger
xx
Hand forged hand tools - chisels and slicks, looking for advice.

Started by nebruks on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 10:03:41 AM
by nebruks
xx
Mandrel Nut Right Hand or Left Hand Thread

Started by Corley5 on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post June 17, 2019, 06:09:07 PM
by dgdrls