iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric issue with winch on log arch

Started by Kwill, March 21, 2020, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I have continuity across these post. I'm thinking that would be a dead short wouldnt it?

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

btulloh

It's only going to be about 3 or 4 ohms when it's ok.  It would look like a dead short depending on how you're checking it.  You need a meter that will read low ohms (most will).
HM126

Kwill

Quote from: btulloh on March 21, 2020, 01:43:24 PM
It's only going to be about 3 or 4 ohms when it's ok.  It would look like a dead short depending on how you're checking it.  You need a meter that will read low ohms (most will).
I tested across the terminals. 1.2 ohms
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

What is the problem? What is happening when you connect 12VDC?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: Kwill on March 21, 2020, 01:52:36 PM
Quote from: btulloh on March 21, 2020, 01:43:24 PM
It's only going to be about 3 or 4 ohms when it's ok.  It would look like a dead short depending on how you're checking it.  You need a meter that will read low ohms (most will).
I tested across the terminals. 1.2 ohms
That could be correct depending on the rated power of the motor. MM's question is the next step. 
HM126

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2020, 01:55:12 PM
What is the problem? What is happening when you connect 12VDC?
It was making my lights come on on my tractor when I hit the switch. Like it was back feeding 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

donbj

What are you tied into on your tractor with your supply wires?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Kwill

Quote from: donbj on March 21, 2020, 02:57:49 PM
What are you tied into on your tractor with your supply wires?
Straight to the battery
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

Is your tractor positive or negative ground?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Also, assuming this is with the arch attached to the tractor.  Have you tried it with it not attached? Results?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

donbj

Are you fully hard wired to the battery or using the arch hitch as ground connection?

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Kwill

Turns out some cobbled up wiring that had something to do with the volt meter off the negative side of the battery was causing issues. Took that off and no volt meter now but the winch works fine. Always something. Wasted somr of this nice day jacking around when I should of had a trailer full of logs
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

might have been and amp meter if it had a flat bar "shunt"  for measuring current on the negative side of the battery.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

Quote from: Kwill on March 21, 2020, 04:42:52 PM
Turns out some cobbled up wiring that had something to do with the volt meter off the negative side of the battery was causing issues. Took that off and no volt meter now but the winch works fine. Always something. Wasted somr of this nice day jacking around when I should of had a trailer full of logs
Always Something is right. As long as we want to use equipment, new, old, home built, it will always be something. Some days it is better than others for sure.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

donbj

I'm still curious how it got the lights on but glad you're mobile.

Thank You Sponsors!