The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Best Canadian chainsaw parts and gear distributor  (Read 638 times)

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Best Canadian chainsaw parts and gear distributor
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »
I am wondering if there is a Canadian version of Baileys?    I am looking for a one stop shop for saw parts and tools/gear etc.

Thank you

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Best Canadian chainsaw parts and gear distributor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Princess Auto is kinda ish but not quite. They have quite a pit of help full stuff BUT you have to watch the quality. Lots of chinese knock off crap but good for hydraulics and fasteners average lubes etc.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/

I checked on line and what they have is mostly poulan parts and that is limited.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »
I am mostly looking for a few spare parts for my 395 xp as well as a tach to help me tune it. I would get it through the dealer I bought the saw from but after breaking it in I called them about fine tuning it and was told that it didn't need it because it has auto tune.  It certainly does not have auto tune and I now have zero confidence in them. 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
How old is the saw? Auto tune is a standard (crap) feature of pretty much every thing 2 cycle small engine on the market today. If you thinking you can fine tune your embarking a process that can get pricey and you got be good at reworking the system to back date to older parts to get rid of the auto tune junk.

To get a tool kit to work on them you need to know a dealer real well or be an authorized dealer or service tech. Technically they are not allowed to sell the tool kits to work on the saws and they are beyond pricey. The basic tool kit I have cost me $435 ish CND and that was dealer cost not including the ECM tuning tool. The universal tuner was another $260 ish. 

Can be as simple as a new (old) carb and may require new ECM ignition/CDI (old) parts. To do that you need the ECM tuning/diagnostic tools and basic ECM system knowledge. 

The new auto tune systems are quite tamper proof and are absolute junk.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »
I bought the saw brand new March 18th . There is no mention of auto tune in my manual or any site that sells the 395xp whereas the saws that have auto tune , have it listed as a feature. 

The L , T , and H screws do not have the plastic caps or movement limiters on them.They look like normal screws. My Stihl carb screw driver fits them.   
I would like to learn to do this myself as I hate relying on others and do not have the money to keep having to pay someone. Plus I really should know how to work on my own gear.  From what I can tell it seems to be running a little rich now , which IMHO is better then too lean. 

Thank you for the heads up on the tool costs. I am guessing there are special tools for engine work and such? They gave me the tools I need for taking most of the saw apart when I bought it.  

Sorry if I ask dumb questions. All of this is quite new to me. Other then bucking up 8 cords a year to burn for the past 20 years or so my experience is pretty limited.  

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »
No such thing as a DUMB question unless you don't ask the question. Send me your number in a PM. I can call you if you need me too. 

"L" should be the low screw
"H" should be High screw
"T" should be throttle/idle screw

If you have done this before and you can tune by ear,  basically you want to lean the low side and high side a bit at time till you got it singing. as you come down you will reach a point where its almost perfect, the low may need to go up a tad. 

Start with the high and then back and forth till it sounds good. as rulle once you got it running good you will need to drop the T screw bit to bring your idle RPM back down so the clutch is not engaged.

I am guessing your saw is new older stock to not have the limiters.      

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
I have tuned my other saws by ear before . I just figured for milling I should have it more precise.  I only even mentioned the tuning to the dealer because my manual says to get them to fine tune it after the run in period. 
 It is running great and sounds good to me in and out of the cut. 
  The plate on my saw says it was made in 2019 (I can't remember the month/day) in Brazil .

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »
To the best of my knowledge there are few if any one stop suppliers for chain saw parts and accessories in Canada, the market isn't big enough. By the time it comes in from the states, tax, freight and exhange rate makes a lot of it cost prohibitive. Then the label has to be bilingual to be sold in Canada which many suppliers don't want to bother with. Maybe @ehp has some sources.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
Yes run it a bit rich for milling, also don't let it run out of fuel, and let it run for a minute to cool after a cut don't make a cut and then shut it off right away.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »
Some guys think I'm nuts when I tell them this but there is a point at which the saw will sound like it is "4 cycling". You want to adjust so you are just barely out of that range and you will be bang on perfect fuel balance for general sawing milling. 

Set low side just rich enough so you don't bog out when you hit the throttle. Its the balance between the 2 to that get you there and there is no meters or RPM tool that really will help much better than your ear. 

Since you are use to that stick with it. I have those tools and rarely use them. 

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 02:04:34 PM »
Yes run it a bit rich for milling, also don't let it run out of fuel, and let it run for a minute to cool after a cut don't make a cut and then shut it off right away.
I have been keeping a close eye on the fuel and I let it idle after a cut while I readjust the log on the mill. 
To the best of my knowledge there are few if any one stop suppliers for chain saw parts and accessories in Canada, the market isn't big enough. By the time it comes in from the states, tax, freight and exhange rate makes a lot of it cost prohibitive. Then the label has to be bilingual to be sold in Canada which many suppliers don't want to bother with. Maybe @ehp has some sources.

Ya I guess they have to deal with what I am also trying to avoid .
I guess I should just get the dealer to order me in what I need. I have to admit I am a little sour with them right now. I expected to be told to bring the saw in , not to be told that it had auto tune.  Great way to get me to burn up my saw listening to that nonsense 

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
Some guys think I'm nuts when I tell them this but there is a point at which the saw will sound like it is "4 cycling". You want to adjust so you are just barely out of that range and you will be bang on perfect fuel balance for general sawing milling.

Set low side just rich enough so you don't bog out when you hit the throttle. Its the balance between the 2 to that get you there and there is no meters or RPM tool that really will help much better than your ear.

Since you are use to that stick with it. I have those tools and rarely use them.
That is how it sounds to me atm.   Maybe I am just over thinking it  .  

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »
Just lean it back a little bit and you should have it singing. If it 4 cycles a bit when cold you'll be, as close to perfect as you can get. 

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »
Like Bandmill Bandit says "4 cycling".

If you can make that adjustment safely in the cut under load even better/easier, so it 4 cycles with no load but as soon as the chain starts cutting it clears up.

I have wondered if it would be beneficial to install a temperature sensor on the cylinder head or near the exhaust and learn the normal operating temperature, then you could monitor the saw  when cutting and be alerted to any overheating.

Overheating can come from different causes like carb jet restriction, air leak (carb, intake manifold or gasket, crank seals), dirty cooling fins, muffler restriction or just plain old exceeding duty cycle.

I figure if accidentally straight gassing it the damage would be done before the temperature gauge had a chance to show you anything.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
A temp gauge is a *DanG good idea BUT I have yet to find one that would fit nicley on a chain saw. A sender under the plug in place of the washer would be ideal. 

Offline Greenhighlander

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
I am pretty sure I know the 4 cycle you guys are referring to.  That is how it sounds when I am warming it up and out of the cut. As soon as it is warm and under load she roars to life.  

Thank you folks for all your help.  Still sour even after another hour of milling, at a shop taking my 2k and seeming to leave me on my own. In a way I guess it is a good thing because it is forcing me to learn for myself and if the guy doesn't know the saw he sold me does not have auto tune I don't know how much I trust his knowledge.  
Live and learn. I love the saw and the mill and now just need to take care of them like my other 3 saws.

Cheers  8)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »
Think Id be hard pressed to get ti running better than you have it running by the sounds of it. Good for you.

FYI A great owner can help a good dealer to be a great dealer And great dealer can help good owner become a great owner.

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
BB, google search "spark plug temperature gauge", apparently made for trail bike riders.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
Yes can get them for most air cooled engines but what do you do with 3 or 4 feet of cable on a chain saw? I have  an old snow mobile one some where but its half the size of the saw.

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
Greenhighlander don't be too sour on that shop. The mechanic may be very good at what he does but forgot your saw didn't have autotune, I wouldn't base my faith in their mechanical abilities on a little slip-up like that. If you know anyone else that brings their gear there for repair check with them to see if they were satisfied.

Stay safe up there at the other end of NS.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Searching reliable distributor of 48" .404" pitch chainsaw bar!

Started by Dan Wilson on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2019, 11:01:39 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Canadian diesel Echo chainsaw

Started by Clam77 on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 12:47:00 AM
by CTYank
xx
Electric B&D chainsaw Rotor Gear Replacement Help