The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Rib metel roofing  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Rib metel roofing
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 01:14:23 AM »
In my area 
I never put metal roofing directly over the ice and water shield without another slip sheet over the membrane.
The membrane will stick to the metal and cause many problems. 
That's on screw down and standing seam.
There are lot of dyi standing seam on the market now.
That would be my choice. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 09:17:06 AM »
 My metal roof is 22 yrs old now an starting to rust all over. Have any of you repainted one? I had a repair around the chimney and used oil base paint and in less than a yr it peeled off. We bought some stuff that was supposed to clean the pitch off and it didn't do any good at all. That's when I discovered all the rust.
Ed K

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
My metal roof is 22 yrs old now an starting to rust all over. Have any of you repainted one? I had a repair around the chimney and used oil base paint and in less than a yr it peeled off. We bought some stuff that was supposed to clean the pitch off and it didn't do any good at all. That's when I discovered all the rust.
Whoa!, been there, done that. Don't use oil paint as it lifts the flexible stuff they used. Try to find some quality water based enamel.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
Depends on if you have colored (painted ) or just galvanized. Years ago I had a cabin with corrugated galvanized siding which I wanted to paint. Was told  (paint store) to clean (pressure wash ) and then rinse down with Vinegar.  don't recall if I then rinsed the vinegar,  then painted and the paint was still good about 20 years later when cabin sold. 

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
Why anyone would screw in the flat part of the sheet I never could figure out. Screwing on the ridge is the most likely place to keep a roof from leaking. every building and house roof is on the ridge without any problem at our home stead.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »
 It's hunter green painted at the factory. It snowed yesterday got 4" the north side that hasn't rusted the snow was sliding off as soon as there was 2" built up the south rusted side never moved had to melt off when it warmed up in the afternoon.
Ed K

Offline Don V

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 11:03:39 PM »
Why anyone would screw in the flat part of the sheet I never could figure out. Screwing on the ridge is the most likely place to keep a roof from leaking. every building and house roof is on the ridge without any problem at our home stead.
Because if the manufacturer requires it and you don't, the warranty is voided.  I have a small quest room that have screws in the flats, 23 years now, not one leak.  Just don't over, or under tighten the screws.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 12:05:49 AM »
Because if the manufacturer requires it and you don't, the warranty is voided.  I have a small quest room that have screws in the flats, 23 years now, not one leak.  Just don't over, or under tighten the screws.
If screwing in the flats was so good I would think premium buildings like Morton that do lots of agricultural and commercial buildings would be doing it

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 12:32:04 AM »
On my cabin I used pro panel sheets.  They spec out large diameter screws in the flats and a stitcher screw on the ridge overlaps.   The stitcher screw did not go into the roof, it just kept the seam together.   

Its in deep snow country,  so far it's held up great.  

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »
I used rib metal roofing with the screws in the flats when I built my barn over 20 years ago. Under it is 5/8 plywood with roofing paper. I drove the screws in with a cordless drill. So far, so good (as I am knocking on my wood desk). The color has faded quite a bit but it sees a ton of sun. 

3 years ago I built our sugar shack. Used the same roofing; screws in the flats. Under it is 3/4" T&G pine with roofing paper. Used a cordless impact driver but was very careful. It's still "new" but hoping it lasts!

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 08:18:52 AM »
I used rib metal roofing with the screws in the flats when I built my barn over 20 years ago. Under it is 5/8 plywood with roofing paper. I drove the screws in with a cordless drill. So far, so good (as I am knocking on my wood desk). The color has faded quite a bit but it sees a ton of sun.

3 years ago I built our sugar shack. Used the same roofing; screws in the flats. Under it is 3/4" T&G pine with roofing paper. Used a cordless impact driver but was very careful. It's still "new" but hoping it lasts!
about time you replace those screws then. the rubber is dried out and will start leaking.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-13 still feel OK and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 08:40:47 AM »
28 yrs now on my shop, Fabral painted roofing dont know the brand of screw, placed on the flats with cordless drill into 2x4 purlins, no impacts were common back then.
no leaks.
The only issue is the paint has weathered and the snow no longer comes off with a resounding wump.
Had rust below my chimney, had grandson wire brush and paint with good old rustoleum about 10 yrs ago paint still looks good.
Adirondack camp built in '87 was roofed with galv. and nailed on the ridges, some nails have backed out a bit no major leaks.
No tape on the ridges back then, had a little water once in a driving rain storm, came in on wife and I when we were in bed.
I think screws were just coming into vogue back then.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 08:46:51 AM »
Read the directions?  :D 
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
Here is where the pro panels want you to screw...

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
The reason they don't recommend screwing via the ribs is that area isn't flat, it's rounded depending on your panel type, so the rubbers aren't fully compressed. therefore more prone to leaks.

Offline tawilson

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Read the directions?  :D
Yeah back before the internet, that's about all we had to go by.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725 ordered

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
It's one of them chicken and egg stories as far as I can see. :D They are all screwed down up here on the ribs. We can go to 1000 buildings if you want to, going back over 40 years and your not going to see any screwed on the flats. Most all the houses around here have steel roofing, except a couple prefabs down the road that shingles didn't last as advertised. I remember talking to one of them guys with a prefab and he was not pleased. I told him what my experience was, that they never hardly last 20 years. One exception though, mom's uncle's, been on there since the 50's, never replaced. That was when stuff was made to last to. ;D

I've got 26 gauge Galvalum on the house and garage. I have no worries. :)

No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 01:34:53 PM »
The reason they don't recommend screwing via the ribs is that area isn't flat, it's rounded depending on your panel type, so the rubbers aren't fully compressed. therefore more prone to leaks.
Not so because it won't leak anyhow unless flat and flooded.

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »
I think one of the reasons my supplier does not recommend just screwing in the ribs is that is only holding the panel on in sheer.  Screwing on the flats holds in compression.  

The space under the ribs creates a sheer force on the screw, where this same force is not happening on the flats.  

Like the saying always goes, build in compression, not sheer.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 01:45:12 PM »

Thats one of the main reasons you dont see any leaking. You have plywood and tarpaper. If you had shingles blow off a house and the tarpaper was exposed , put on right  and it doesnt tear it wont leak 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rib metel roofing

Started by moodnacreek on General Board

37 Replies
Last post January 30, 2021, 08:56:18 AM
by rjwoelk
xx
? About Roofing

Started by Peter Drouin on General Board

19 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 10:44:21 PM
by Chuck White