The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Value add project  (Read 6400 times)

mapleack, Weekend_Sawyer and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Value add project
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 08:40:55 PM »
   It wasn't complicated but I did learn several things and will do some the same and some different on the next one. I made mine 48" long X 24" wide, 13" deep (I used a 1X10 and a 1X3 but normally one 1X12 or 2-2X6's is more likely) and 36" legs. Final inside dimensions were 48" Long X 22" wide X 12" deep in this case (Normally would be 11" deep).

1. I will put the widest board on the bottom if different widths are used - it has more fasteners connected to the legs to hold the weight (I used a 1X3 and a 1X10 - the 1X3 only had one screw in it but being on the bottom it holds the weight. I did add small cut-off 2X4 blocks underneath as a ledge for extra support)

2. The sides and ends are not flush with the legs and I need to add one inch on each side/end to attach the legs to. (I just used a 1X1 sticker as a spacer when pre-drilling my holes and the legs hold the sides and ends together. If I were flat packing I would have 2 ends, 2 sides w/ledges, floor pieces 22" X 4' total out of whatever floor material I had handy, 2 more 48" stickers to hold the floor pieces down.  )

3. I used a 1"X 1"X 4' sticker as a ledge on the bottom running the length on each side as a pair of ledges of the planter to hold the bottom boards - that worked okay and I'll do the same next time but I will tack a second 1"X 1"X 4' sticker on top of the floor boards to keep them from bouncing out once placed.

4. I used 1-5/8" screws where 2-1X pieces met and connected the legs with 3" screws. Next time I will use full 2" screws for most and continue with the 3" for leg connections.

5. I did not include any drains - I will continue with that with the opinion there is enough gaps between the boards and connections for excess water to drain. The planter is to hold dirt not liquid. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it if the customer asks :D.)

I can see where making a bunch would be much faster as you can pre-cut all the parts and drill the pilot holes the set up a jig arrangement and connect the pieces really fast.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »
Looking good guys. I have been on a 2 week road trip so had to stop my sales.
I sold my 30 as a kit, we included instructions and screws. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »
I have been following this thread since @Bruno of NH started it. Even asked the wife if she had an interest, she was lukewarm. But since I am home now, I have been thinking of my own favorite plants (beefsteak tomatoes!). I can see I am falling into the void and will wind up making one of these for a test or fun, or both.
 Besides cherry >:( what are you guys using for materials on these. I would think pine, with a limited lifetime would be the common choice. I am seeing a lot that are pretty deep and I am thinking 10" is enough. Any opinions on that?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2020, 10:16:17 PM »
OGH,

I used what was handy. A poplar 1X10 and a leftover 3" wide batten for the sides and ends and 1X4's out of poplar for the legs and ash 1X8 for the floor crosspieces. Yes, it would have a limited life expectancy but I'd be surprised if the customer could not get 3 years or of it, more if they empty it and store it over the winter months. I used X head dry wall screws. I bought some more today@$3.99/lb. I am confident it will not need 1/2 lb of screws per planter and I calculated about 26 bf for the rest of the materials. It was very stable when assembled.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:42 AM »
potatoes and carrots might need more, tomatoes will be ok. you can prune the secondary leaves and train them up a string/pole 8 feet tall, and get perfect tomatoes.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2020, 07:06:56 AM »
On the ones that I made, I allowed for bottom slats to be covered with a piece of metal hardware cloth and screen wire for drainage.  I believe that board bottoms will rot too fast.  I made some out of pine, but the best ones I suspect will be the ones that I made out of red cedar.  This one was made to sit flat on the ground or on a patio.  You could also put some paver blocks under the corners. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline stanwelch

• Share Post
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2020, 07:23:16 AM »
Very nice, Danny !!
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
Very impressive WDH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
WDH, that would sell like hotcakes where I'm at.  Nice....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »
So I was doing more market research this morning and came to find that I believe we are all doing this wrong. I found this little 'money maker' priced just right.

I am thinking the 'builder' does not have a lot invested in their equipment, so they can afford these 'give-away' prices. :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:16 PM »
I saw a craigslist add the other day where the guy added even more value. He had made a similar raised bed and would deliver it, dump in a couple bags of dirt, plant a half dozen seedlings for $400.00 😲.  I bet you could sell bags of compost easily to those picking up beds. Millions of new gardeners this year looking to get started. I wonder if a frame that held 5 gallon buckets that are deep enough for tomato plant roots would sell.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
21",

That may not be as out of line as many of us think. smiley_smug01 Many folks don't have a truck or trailer, which lots of us take for granted, so the extra value of the set up and delivery is significant to them. Good catch.
Howard Green

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
hmmm, I have an old 1980 C30 camper special with a dump box on it. I wonder if ppl be willing to pay $150 per truckload of manure for those raised beds?

I can haul about a ton of manure. That goes a pretty long ways.

Online RichTired

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »
More inventory of SYP raised planter boxes.

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
I made one for myself out of 2" red cedar. It will outlast me. Built from Pine..they will be needing more lol

Online RichTired

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:19 PM »
That's the goal.  :)

But, it is the material I have on hand.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
I still think the 'birch logs in a vase' has the better margin. :D

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2020, 11:07:41 PM »
OGH,

Yeah and I bet you also sell dry corn stalks around Halloween for more than the corn they grew. :D Who'd have even thought the stalk would sell for more for decoration than the crop for food. I think my first money earned was when an old neighbor paid me a dime to stack up the old corn stalks to burn

Now if you can just come up with a market for my sawdust you will be my hero for life. :D :D :D
Howard Green

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2020, 11:49:10 PM »
WV, you need to market it to the hippies for their composting toilets😁
Too many irons in the fire

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
I hate burning slabs of cedar and cypress especially.  Today, instead of running the mill and being productive and giving the hog another day or two on this planet, I cut some cypress slabs into 10 1/2" lengths and made a couple of planters for the entrance of our driveway.  

My ulterior motive is to sell some stuff.  What used to be a relatively large cattle ranch across the road from my place is now a county owned equestrian park.  With the shutdown there have been a lot of horse folks going in and out lately.  My hope is some will recognize that useful things can be made out of the slabs.  I intend to put a few up by my fence with an honor pay bucket.  If they take them, I don't have to get rid of them.  If they pay, good for us.  My slab pile is significant since we have had a burn ban for over a month.

My youngest daughter and I planted a couple of vinka in the planters.  She will need to make some cutting and start some more.  I told her she could start rooting herbs this summer and by August she could be making and selling herb gardens.
Cabbage palm, live oak and southern redcedar in the background.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My new project!

Started by etroup10 on Sawmills and Milling

29 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 01:15:35 PM
by etroup10
xx
Like I need another project, but....

Started by Dave Shepard on General Board

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 01:30:18 PM
by Corley5