The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Explosion at jay me mill  (Read 6156 times)

Offline jdatwood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Explosion at jay me mill
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »
I used to deal with NCGs at a nearby mill in a past career. NCGs are nasty stuff but tend to have low flame speed. Unless they had a gas receiver with a very large volume of gas it would be hard to envision a real explosion, the NCGs probably contributed to the problem but probably did not set it off.

The difference with southern kraft mills and northern kraft mills is pine. Unless Jay changed their procurement practices in the last 10 years to bring in pine, I think they were buying spruce and fir. The difference between the pine and spruce/fir is turpentine. Pine has it spruce/fir doesnt. Turpentine is "rocket fuel" compared to NCGs. Its a major PITA to deal with it. The vapor will travel all through the process and condense out in the strangest places. When it condenses, separates out and floats on water. It can in the right conditions create sparks while flowing as liquid. We had a 300 foot high stack hooked up indirectly to the sewer and it blew a couple of smoke rings on occasion. If they had switched to pine recently and didnt have the right systems in place, then yes that could be a big problem.

My pure speculation is still a pressure part failure, but expect the gang of federal, state, insurance and third party folks that went through the place (and may still be) and the records with a fine tooth comb will look at every thing.    
Itll certainly be interesting, my understanding of the IP Cantonment mill in Florida is the NCGs built up after an outage and caused the explosion. The vapor phase of the digester is essentially a large gas receiver so itll hold a charge of explosive gases should the scrubber system not be clearing out out to the collection system or venting to atmosphere. It sounds as though the Jay digester was down for a bit that morning making it even more plausible. NCGs and HVLCs are a great alternative free fuel source To incinerate in the kiln or power boiler. Weve had a few digester overpressure events at work and the safeties pop off and burp the vessel, make a big mess and we move on. I just sure hope for the community they rebuild. In Lincoln they put on a good show until the insurance check was cut then they walked away from that dump with a check much bigger than anything that place was worth. My fear is thatll happen there, but well see. Im with you on the turpentine being nasty stuff, my least favorite area to work in as an E/I guy 🤢🤢🤢

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Explosion!

Started by DanG on Health and Safety

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 08:42:24 PM
by beenthere
xx
Explosion at G.P. plant

Started by Jeff on General Board

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2001, 02:28:53 PM
by Jeff