The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Walnut Log  (Read 962 times)

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Walnut Log
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »
17 inches od inside the bark on narrow end & 19 inches od inside the bark on large end, 14 foot long.  I have no way to load or haul. I am located in south central PA. Before I turn this in to firewood, does anyone know what this log may be worth, if anything? 
Thanks for looking.

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of posting an ad on the Forestry Forum

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
Re: Walnut Log
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:23:49 AM »
I see twist, crook, heavy sapwood and other defects. Although sapwood it not nessesarily a fedect. Not much.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
I see twist, crook, heavy sapwood and other defects. Although sapwood it not nessesarily a fedect. Not much.
Thanks Jeff. I didn't think it would be worth much. I have quite a few walnut trees on my property that were planted in the late 50's or early 60's by the previous owner. Some bigger than this one & some smaller. I am trying to thin them out as I am tired of cleaning up from them. I do use wood to heat with so I guess they will become firewood even though walnut is not the greatest at putting out btu's.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »
If I was closer I would give a hundred bucks or so, and pick it up.  could do a social media/craigs list ad.  but you may get lots of calls and potentially someone on your property that you and your family do not know.  or look up small mill owners and see if they are interested.  you have a nice yard, and some will be more careful than others in regards to collateral damage.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
Jump on it! Personally,  I'd never ever make an offer on a log without inspecting it in person. You can't know what is under that bark from your computer or phone. In person you can see the telltale swirls or disturbances in the grain where a knot fence limb may be.  Many sawyers do not get enough logs under their belt for many years to develop a sort of xray vision. It also encourages people into thinking you may be shady when you offer a price for a log, show up, look at it, and see what you didn't see before then offer much less as you pick it apart.

nope. Not me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
  If I had it I would cut it into 2" live edge slabs and save what I could from the outer slabswood for 2.5" thick leg stock then air dry it a year or so and make a dozen or so 2-4 ft long primitive benches similar to the one shown below.  

Too far for me to travel but if you can have it milled by a local portable miller you might do something like this with it. I think it would be a shame to make firewood from it. Good luck.

(BTW - I ran short on time and did not finish and apply as much tung oil as I'd like to in order to really make this one pop.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Lostinmn

• I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »
I've often purchases a log or part for making bowl blanks, to bad I'm not nearby.   Might try craigslist etc with bowl turning, wood turning and bowl blanks as keywords.  Especially if your willing to sell smaller sections, say 2 to 6 ft. as a turner will get quite a few bowls from a chunk.

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I didn't think it would be worth much. I have quite a few walnut trees on my property that were planted in the late 50's or early 60's by the previous owner. Some bigger than this one & some smaller. I am trying to thin them out as I am tired of cleaning up from them. I do use wood to heat with so I guess they will become firewood even though walnut is not the greatest at putting out btu's.

If I was closer I would give a hundred bucks or so, and pick it up.  could do a social media/craigs list ad.  but you may get lots of calls and potentially someone on your property that you and your family do not know.  or look up small mill owners and see if they are interested.  you have a nice yard, and some will be more careful than others in regards to collateral damage.
I thought about Craigs List but as you say, I really don't care to have someone on the property that are shady. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »
In this part of the country walnut is not as plentiful, and my favorite wood.  I am too far away but if closer would take a chance on it.  I get about 1 or 2 walnut logs a year.  I do not disagree with your assessment.  I could make something out of it.  I have had it go a little both ways, but never (yet) so bad that I wished I had not.  on one outing I broke the grapple cylinder attachment, then while partly disabled, had a log roll into my glass door.  that one was not worth it, but not the fault of my uncles friend or his log.  :) :) :)   I had a guy on craigs list with a walnut told me he had been offered 700 bucks, and I told him to take it!  maybe find a local sawyer, and see if he wants it, or will saw on shares.  If there is a ton of walnut around, it may not be worth anything.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:16 AM »
 br>  I think it would be a shame to make firewood from it. Good luck.

Yes, I hate to cut it for firewood because I know how pretty walnut is. I made my cabinets @ home in MD out of walnut & they are really pretty.

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
I've often purchases a log or part for making bowl blanks, to bad I'm not nearby.   Might try craigslist etc with bowl turning, wood turning and bowl blanks as keywords.  Especially if your willing to sell smaller sections, say 2 to 6 ft. as a turner will get quite a few bowls from a chunk.
Thanks. This may  be an idea. If I would cut it in 2 foot lengths I would be able to move it. 
Now if I can find someone that is interested. I'll do some searching on Google.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
  If you are going to cut it into short blocks I'd be sure to seal the ends to help retard checking. I'd recommend anchorseal, a specialty wax product for sealing logs, or paint if that is all you have. If you use a clear paint the customer can still see the end grain pattern and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 07:53:30 AM »
I agree with Jeff as to commercial value. For grade lumber the log would need to be cut back in length before the large knot at the concrete block maybe 12' and then in a tight market would probably still fall in grade 2 and not worth the cost to send a loader truck after it. Zero commercial value if you can't deliver it.

For a hobby/craft guy its actually not a bad log and I could easily see somebody giving a $100+ and picking it up but then your dealing with the public and most likely will have to put up with idiots before you luck into somebody like Doc. If it was mine and I wasn't a woodworker and had no means to haul .it would be firewood.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 09:33:21 AM »
Might see if there is a woodworkers guild around.  mostly a bunch of neat old guys usually (like us)  that would find a way to get it.  however, that is around here,  but if they grow there like cottonwood does here, maybe not so much.  around here as a hobby guy we try to do something with them.  A doc friend of mine called and wanted to bring me a walnut.  he is a wood worker and has had trees sawn for himself in the past.  I think he just wanted to see my mill run.  this tree was 15 feet long, 12 feet as the crow flies as it was very crooked.  It was like a test.  It overhung his hay bale truck bed and he had a special rope out to the back to keep it from turning and dragging on the road.  It took a turn at each 5 feet, so we bucked it small.  I put most of the wood on a pallet for him and loaded it on his truck.  I saved a few slabs and will make a curved bench like WV makes.  the wood was great.  @WV Sawmiller 

Offline Lostinmn

• I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
You might want to try the local American Association of Woodturners group.  I'm part of the local one and mostly made up of retired woodturners and a few young bloods, great group of guys always looking for decent wood sources.

The national site is:

https://www.woodturner.org/

Under chapters heading is a search for the local chapters.

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
You might want to try the local American Association of Woodturners group.  I'm part of the local one and mostly made up of retired woodturners and a few young bloods, great group of guys always looking for decent wood sources.

The national site is:

https://www.woodturner.org/

Under chapters heading is a search for the local chapters.

Thanks for the reply. I looked it up & found a chapter close to where I am at.  sent an email.

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 06:49:41 AM »
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I made contact with a member of the Woodturners Association & he came Saturday & got the log. Asked me what I wanted for it & I said to turn a bowl for me. We'll see. At least someone will get something more than BTU's out of it.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
thanks for the follow up and glad to hear one of the walnut tree threads had a happy ending!   :)

Offline samthesham

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
thanks for the follow up and glad to hear one of the walnut tree threads had a happy ending!   :)
Yeah i'm glad someone will do something with it. I still have more of these trees that I want to cut down. I guess most of them will be firewood.
Although I did this one, I am not giving them away. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter