iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing my drying services using vacuum kiln

Started by TCove, May 09, 2020, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

Wow, so many answers.  So what is a good price to pay per board foot for vacuum kiln dried services?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Stephen1

Quote from: Cs logrescue on April 23, 2021, 07:56:22 AM
Hello, looking at all kiln options, idry still performing well? Do you have to hand stack loads?
I have no problems with the IDRY kiln. 
Yes some one has to hand stack loads, customer, you, employees, unless the wood fairy stacks it for you.  :laugh: 
You will need a forklift to be efficient  in kiln drying for customers.
I have yet to have a load for the kiln show up stacked and stickered that I can just fork in. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mesquite cutter

I was quoted $3 per board foot for services using a vacuum kiln.  Would that be a reasonable amount to pay?   
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Stephen1

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on April 28, 2021, 06:55:52 PM
I was quoted $3 per board foot for services using a vacuum kiln.  Would that be a reasonable 
My question is What moisture content will they bring it down to?
What type of moisture meter are they using? Surface or probe or both .
No sense paying to have partially dry, make sure they will dry to 6-8% in the core if it is 6/4 and larger. 
What is the moisture content of the wood now?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 29, 2021, 08:13:18 AM
Quote from: Mesquite cutter on April 28, 2021, 06:55:52 PM
I was quoted $3 per board foot for services using a vacuum kiln.  Would that be a reasonable
My question is What moisture content will they bring it down to?
What type of moisture meter are they using? Surface or probe or both .
No sense paying to have partially dry, make sure they will dry to 6-8% in the core if it is 6/4 and larger.
What is the moisture content of the wood now?
The MC varies on different slabs.  The slabs are Mesquite, Pecan, Live Oak and Texas Ebony.  My Live Oak slabs have been slabbed for about two years now.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

boonesyard

Price/bf will vary depending on your moisture, species and thickness. Most kiln operators would not charge the same bf price if they were drying 4/4 pine at 20% starting moisture vs 8/4 white oak at 20% starting moisture. The oak would take 3-4 times as long. There are too many variables to quote a hard $/bf. 

As an example of a variable rate, we charge $.10/bf/day, so depending on all the above variables it might end up being $.40 to $2.50/bf. If it is all the same species, thickness, has been air dried to 20% and is all about the same moisture, we can usually estimate what it is going to take. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Stephen1

I tell wood workers to bring the wood 3 months before you need it. If you showed up with all that wood at one time you would be coming back to get it at different times. I store like species of wood until I get enough to make a bundle to go in the kiln. IE:walnut, oak, 1 group. 
Maple, birch, ash , 1 group, soft wood another group. 
I might have it wrong, here as I am not looking at my charts 
Certain woods dry similar and as such I can dry them at the same speeds. 

Thank You Sponsors!