The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.  (Read 11410 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
I look at it like it's a dance. If you don't start swinging your hips at some point and let your partner know which way you are going and what you can do, you will never get in that groove to really let it swing.
It is all about music with you!   8) 8) 8)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2020, 11:10:44 AM »

It is all about music with you!   8) 8) 8)
No Music, No Life
Know Music, Know Life.
:) 8)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
you should add philosophy to your list of services. ;)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
Take care of that back, so you feel like dancing to all that music. A little more philosophy a little less physical labor just for a few days won't put you that far behind.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
I have that on the tailgate of my Mule. Often thought it would make a great plaque someday.

As far as philosophizing goes, I don't know how much I could do of that in a straight run, but I am thinking anything over 15 minutes might sprain my brain given that my brain does not get near the amount of exercise and use that my back does (and look what kind of shape that is in!). After I rest up a bit I will have to think about that some. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »
Well, today I finally got my butt moving again. The back isn't perfect but I figured I would start using it again. I just put in 2 hard hours at the mill then had to drive the wife to pick up her sewing machine,pick up lunch on the way back, and do some writing for my FB page.
 I had put up a short 5' log about 20" diameter last night just to get a little exercise and see how I felt. Today the goal was to attack it but record all the steps and write up a 'notes' page for my FB business page. A lot of folks ask about how lumber is made. I figured if I documented it, that would provide a reference to send them to. It's also good PR and I discussed costs, how they are figured and how little is realized from a log when it is all added up. Kind of a customer education effort, I get a lot of questions.
The log I figured was a sticker log at best anyway.
 The neat thing was when I opened up this 'junk' 5' log I found it full of ambrosia.

It had a lot of defects but I could get some good boards and the rest was stickers. Some faces were better than others.

Another neat part was I didn't really care where the pith wound up because most of it was stickers anyway. But I did drive a wedge in for a toe board to take some of the taper but I didn't measure, I just did an eyeball job to get it a little better. When I was plain cutting boards off the cant, I didn't do the math to split the pith either. But when I got down to it and took out the center board, here is what I had.

I put that pith right smack in the middle of the board as if I planned it that way. Even better, the other end of this same board was the same way, so it was level all the way down. I amazed myself. It was an accident, of course.
 When all done I wound up with 5 fairly nice boards and about 65 stickers. Also the 4 slabs and I might keep one or two to see what they look like when the color fades and perhaps make a bench or two.

So not a bad day for a starter. But that FB page took way too long to write and the day was shot when I was done.
 I did get through the first session of Dr. Gene's drying seminar before I started work this morning. Pretty good stuff for sure.

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
No Music, No Life
Know Music, Know Life.
Music is my medication that overcomes the debilitating effects of reality. 
I fill my prescription every time I pick up my guitar. ;D smiley_guitarist
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
Well yesterday I did another short log just to get it out of the way. This one was better quality with ambrosia throughout.

I have been saving the clear boards (4/4) and stickering those, the rest gets milled into stickers because I always seem to be short on them. I get tired of it, so trying to build up that pile. I got 4 or 5 nice clear boards and another 90 or so stickers. I have one more of these short guys to do. Not sure how wewll the colors show up for y'all in these photos, but I am dying to plane them. :)

Today we had the boys for a few hours while Dad was finishing a house painting job, so it fell to me to find something 'interesting to do'. I had the rock that I yanked about an hour before I wrecked my back 8 days ago, so I decided we could move that close to where it will spend eternity holding down a culvert pipe. I had a spotter for the job and used the skidding arch. It worked better than I hoped.

It's tricky backing that thing up and over tree stumps, goes wherever it wants to, but I got it pretty close. After that 2 of the boys jumped in the mule with me and we went to skid a bunch of small trees a neighbor had cut to clear around his shop building. He don't want the wood, it's all small 3-6" x 12-16'. Fine firewood. So basically I was helping him clean around his shop and throwing it on the firewood pile. win-win. But after a few loads it was too hot, and it was lunch time for the boys. I am trying not to overdo it too soon. just half days for a few more until all the tweaks (not twerks Doc) are gone.
 That firewood log pile is getting messy and I am going to have to pick up the saw soon and the slabs have to be hacked up for firewood too. Gonna visit the neighbors for adult beverages and a fire after dinner tonight.
 Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
Get a piece of square tubing and just drill and unbolt your hitch and extend out 🤔

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2020, 05:51:41 PM »
Get a piece of square tubing and just drill and unbolt your hitch and extend out 🤔
Yeah, that's not a bad idea and I think about it EVERY time I try to back up with it on. :D But the truth is if I put a longer draw bar on it, then it becomes harder to handle by hand and it becomes tougher to maneuver in the woods. Right now it is real easy to unhook and place it right over the log, then back the mule up to it. I would have never backed that rock into where it had to go if the draw bar was 2' longer, I didn't have the turning space between trees.
 One of the 'things' on my longer list is to re-ignite my welding skills which were never very good. I have a stick machine that should get me by though. If I sell some stuff and can buy steel I will be building an arch to get stuff on my trailer first because that is a real need, plus a winch and mount for it on the trailer. Then I might build a complete log arch that will lift up an entire log so I don't have to drag it. Many of the guys here have done so and I am very envious of the work they do.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2020, 06:12:02 PM »
Well it's Monday, so back to work :). Mondays used to be SO different, I would start dreading it on Sunday afternoon, now, not so much. ;D Never thought I would look forward to a Monday, that is for sure. Things can change, and they have. We are starting to feel the pinch of a reduced income, but it is too soon the really know if that is going to hold. The first few months things are not stable. Time will tell.
 Anyway, after reviewing all the weather data last night I decided it was prudent to do some minor storm prep for that 'thing' coming up the right coast. We are looking to get 3-5" of rain and maybe some heavy wind.The wind concerns me. But I wanted to get some wood milled so I did the last of those 4' logs and put some more ambrosia maple on the rack plus another 50 or more stickers. I have started taking a hint from Dr. Gene and marking what I see on logs to help me in making milling decisions (I find it very useful). I like marking the pith, because I lose track of it as the log gets milled. It's a good learning tool for me and easy to do. It makes you think. This log had some really deep purple, but it was in a pithy area, so will go to stickers.

Then I grabbed another log (7' plus trim. I swear, I am going to buy a tape measure for EVERY arborist I know and teach him how to use it) and opened that up. More full ambrosia. This was a major leader off that tree and had some knots, but they are tight. So I milled it into 5/4 boards and got it on the rack.
I pulled the canopy down that was covering the mill. It might survive the heavy rain and wind, but why push it? It would cost me 90 bucks to replace and I ain't made of money, so I put it in the shed. I wanted to get the sawdust which was packed in the mill rails all cleaned up so I did that hoping the heavy rain will do the rest. The sawdust is building and I had been using a steel rake the spread it and cover the crushed stone, but it takes a while. So I had an idea and went and fetched one of the roof rakes and put that into service. WOW! that worked great! (for our deprived friends to the south, a roof rake is used to get heavy snow loads off our roofs in the winter time before the weight collapses the house (only in the winter, snows loads in the summer are much lighter).) Figured I might as well get 4 season use out of it, I have 4 of 'em. ;D

I am trying to 'grade' the loading area with sawdust to cover the crushed stone which gets picked up on some bark when I roll the logs up. The dust is forgiving and lets me align logs before I roll them on the bed and I would rather re-cut sawdust than sand or stone.
 Lastly for the 'official' workday, I tarped the mill as always but added a rope to keep the cover in place just in case it gets hairy.

Then it was suddenly beer-thirty before I knew it. Man, Mondays go by fast now! ;D I am searching around for water collection devices so that I can fill all my gallon jugs for blade lube and be set for a week or two. I have a plan to make something self sustaining down the road, but for now, just doing ti the manual way. Filling with the garden hose is slow and a bit of a walk. I want to put in a 275 gallon tank at the back corner of the shop, fill by the roof gutters and able to water the garden and supply the mill. On the list for next year, first we need to get the gutters up there.
 I guess I have shop work tomorrow, some storage stuff to work on, saws to sharpen, etc. and I have not been upstairs on projects in a couple of weeks now. I guess I can stay busy. :D
 Tomorrow is another day.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »
OGH,

Depending on the species when you see pith that much off-center you might also automatically start to think "Quartersaw candidate". 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
Then I grabbed another log (7' plus trim. I swear, I am going to buy a tape measure for EVERY arborist I know and teach him how to use it)
It is a losing proposition.  I don't think that the ones down here are capable of doing that.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2020, 08:10:51 PM »
It is a losing proposition.  I don't think that the ones down here are capable of doing that.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. 
I believe you are correct, not sure they could read it anyway. :)
Howard, good point. I should look at that as I go on. Still trying to develop 'sawyers eyes', it takes time. That log I had the shot of was only 4' and not worth the effort. The next one I did was really off center but too small to get any boards of decent width. Keep in mind, these are logs that were going to be firewood until I found the ambrosia through them. Figured I would mill and air dry in hopes of finding the right client. Just clearing out the logs, y'know? I took these as junk for firewood, then I thought 'hey, some of these logs are mighty sound and might have a few boards'. So I whacked up one and found the ambrosia and the next thing you know I am milling them all for the color. Not gonna see that on my mill again anytime soon, so might as well. ;D  still have a couple of logs from this bunch, but only have 1 4 blade left. Gotta put in the order, but parting with that much cash it hard. ;D I have a bunch of 10, but I just don't want to go back to them.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:22 AM »
Well, it's been a few days since I updated. The storm came through on Tuesday and as storms go, it wasn't a big deal. But around 2pm on Tuesday the power went out and we were without for a bit over 30 hours. I rode the line on Wednesday and found the pole with the tripped breakers about 2 miles away. Easy fix, likely tripped by a short somewhere else. But with all the real damage in other areas it took a while for them to get to our area, a few hundred thousand people were out, that's a lot of work to repair. SO when it wasn't back by Wednesday morning I got the generator out just to run the freezer and fridge and get them back down to temp. Used the camp stove to make coffee, the usual stuff. Life in the country, no big deal. I still wonder about all these folks that are screaming mad and want to know exactly when the power will be back, as if it is a human right and somebody needs to fix it for them, NOW. :D Spoiled children. I did miss Dr. Gene's live webinar on milling and was bummed about that. I will have to watch the replay, maybe today if it keeps raining. I am also trying to do the pre-reading for the Kiln Workshop next week. That should also be a very good one. Beginning to work on a site plan and prep for a small solar kiln. Mostly at this point trying to wrap my brain around the task and figuring out how to make some usable space in my swampy area. That is a project in itself that may cost more then the kiln, trucking in fill and grading it. Then I need a solid path to it. Sure wish I could do that before winter so it can settle through the frost season. I also need to get some power out to it and I want that line to be buried, not overhead.

Anyway, yesterday I got to cutting up slabs from the mill and stacking it on the wood pile. Then I started in on the big pile of small stuff, mostly cut and throw in the trailer as is for stacking, and I bucked up the rest of the stuff that needs splitting. I have one trailer load 3/4 full and planned on splitting today, but it's raining now and the wife and I have a chiro appointment this morning. We'll see what the afternoon brings. I need about 2 trailer loads to finish the house wood, then time to focus on the shop wood, and getting that chimney started.

I got taken to task on another thread on Tuesday for what I do with my sawdust. I felt pretty stupid in the eyes of my peers. I just wanted to point out that I am a small guy and try to do the best with what I have. What works for one, does not work for all. Just as some say 'You must have something with forks to move timbers', I can tell you I move everything by hand. Yes, it's hard, and risky, and slow, but it is all I have for now, so that's how I do it, and as yet, I have not died in the attempt. I don't enjoy using sawdust to cover up all the sharp stone that surrounds my mill, but it's what I have short of buying fill and then I have mud anyway and dirt in my logs just as they go on the mill. Yeah, there is always a better way. When I can afford that, I will do it, but not just yet. Putting money into tools, a small kiln, and other infrastructure is a priority for me. Once I have something better available, the sawdust will get piled for compost or buried under the fill in the swamp. That's just me.

So today is another day and it is time to get at it and squeeze out what I can from it. I need to drain the gas out of the generator and get that put away for the next event, then move some wood.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2020, 08:44:02 AM »
OGH,

Sorry about the power loss. Its a pain but part of life. I put in a backup genset several years back. We had a Derecho 8 years ago and it ran for 11 days. Then again we have natural gas here so that made things easier.

As to the sawdust if you have plenty of gravel/rock under it I predict you will not have any major issues with it. I dump a wheelbarrow or two full around my game cleaning station where I clean fish and deer and such where it used to get wet and muddy and it works fine for my purposes.

I can sure sympathize with the manual labor around the mill because I have to do a lot of the same and know the feeling and frustrations but you work with what you have and add labor saving devices as time and money permit. Its amazing what you can do with an ATV winch and such sometimes.

Stay safe and keep on posting. I'm off to my chiro visit in a few minutes for my hand and hope and expect he will release me today. I'll know in a couple of hours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
 I'm off to my chiro visit in a few minutes for my hand and hope and expect he will release me today. I'll know in a couple of hours.
Yeah, you work with what you've got. I have always found that easier than trying to work with what I don't have. :D
 Glad to hear that hand is coming along, wonder how it's feeling? I hope things go well and he is 'done with you'. ;D
 Our visit is a regular monthly tune up, but for me it's follow up on the last injury which is nearly all gone. Just need to get one muscle moved over to make it right. I cut wood for a few hours yesterday with no bad results.

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
I think(know) you are getting more done with your mill with less support equipment than I have, and I admire that. Granted you did change careers lately ;). Glad the storm didn't do much to your set up.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
I like your attitude Greenhorn. There is nothing wrong with working with what you got. The guy that has 200k in equipment is no better than you. Keep your head high and be proud of what you have and strive for more if you choose 👍

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
Well I ran out of sweat around 5 today. After the chiro visit it was raining lightly so I drained and stored the generator and it cleared up, so I split some more wood to fill the trailer, moeved and stacked it under the porch, then split another load and stacked that too., I figure about 2/3's of a cord today. The pile is nearly done. I need one, maybe 2 loads to pack it up tight. Then I will measure to see what I have, usually about 5 cord. 
Looks pretty good from this angle, but...

When you look inside, you see I still have a hole to fill. I don't know if I can fit 2 loads, but I will give it a good try, just about out of wood now.

I have some green RO, but I will put that on the bottom of the shop pile so it gets used at the end of the season. The shop pile is the next task. I have never needed wood for the shop because I still don't have a stove in there (yet), but that will change in the next 2-3 months and I am guessing I will need another 5 cord for that. Fortunately NYBHH has all the firewood he needs but he has a lot of dead ash to clear out, so I am going to help him with that. ;D In another week or so it should be maintaining a little cooler and if it fits his schedule, we will have at it and I can just do shuttle runs with logs. That will be a huge help until I have a season under my belt and can figure what I really need to make it work. Before any of that starts, I need to prep and area for stacking that wood, which means removing a LOT of JUNK from the side of the shop, raking it out, discarding the crap and re-stacking the good junk to take less room. I am figuring 2 days for that project and hopefully I can get my son to make a scrap run as most of the junk in there is his. ;D
 Anyway, I am pooped. I am going to start reading through the Kiln drying stuff and begin my dreaming on how I am going to make a small solar kiln so that when the class begins next week I have a better idea of my goals. It's nice that the 90 days seem to be done and I can work in pants again. Still went through 2 shirts and 2 hats today. :D
 Tomorrow is another day.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trouble staying on the forum

Started by LeeB on Technical Support Topics

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 07:34:09 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Not dead, just busy, very busy engineering and reengineering and rereengineering

Started by arnold113 on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 08:18:59 AM
by vfauto
laugh
Busy Busy Busy (Photos)

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2002, 08:50:50 AM
by Bibbyman
xx
Chain not staying wet