The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.  (Read 24479 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.
« Reply #660 on: November 21, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
do they have a caution for elderly retired machinists?   :)
Hey! I fit that description! Actually maybe I should have a caution sign. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #661 on: November 21, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
do they have a caution for elderly retired machinists?   :)
They probably need a bright flashing strobe light and siren for that one. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #662 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:29 PM »
Nah, machinists do everything with precision, we don't know any other way.

Today I took all the clamps off the cherry Bench and am pretty happy, the legs are dang square and there is no rock that I can see, so I avoided all that after glue adjustment. But as happens with epoxy, there are always gaps to fill and I want this perfect. 
 So I rough sanded all the corners to blend with each other and that looks pretty good, actually real good. Then I masked it and set it up on a 45 to allow the epoxy to lay in the crack and perk on down. Poured the first joint and went onto other stuff. 
 The maple test bench is looking pretty good and all I have on it is Danish Oil so far, which has now set, so I decided to go ahead and just wax it.

It's going to take a few sessions to get the wax right, I am not so good at it and I keep getting wax blobs here and there. It's either technique or the right buffing rag, I will figure it out eventually. That little bug defect came out fairly nice for bringing out the waterfall effect.

After that the Cherry bench epoxy was cured enough that I could flip and pour on the other inside corner joint.  Unfortunately, that one had a small leak and I tried too late, to *DanG it up. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see how bad it is, I might have to do it over after some cleanup sanding. Not a big deal, just lost time. Anything worth doing right is worth doing twice, right? I want this right, I think it is going to be a sweet piece. I spent a good chunk of time researching finishes for this bench today. I am figuring it is time to kick it up a notch and try something better. So I found that minwax makes a product called Grain Highlighting Finish Wax, which is used before their Soft Touch Finish Wax. This is supposed to make the grain pop. It is not cheap (by my reckoning) but it is not really expensive either, so I started looking for a distributer. Lowes carries it, but is out of stock locally. As I need to make a harbor freight run anyway, I will drive up to Catskill and do harbor freight then head to the lowes up there which has it in stock and pick up more epoxy too. Going to be an expensive day for me. So that's the plan for tomorrow morning anyway, but the wife wants to 'keep me company' for the drive, so it might take the better part of the day.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #663 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
after I put wax over Danish oil, I use 000 steel wool for a light rub and to make it all consistent.  It was the final step on my favorite walnut bench I ever made.  the grain wax I am not familiar with, and it may just have stain or color added, so do a test piece first I would say.  looking great.  

wedding bench for my cousin.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #664 on: November 22, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »
OH thanks for that Doc, great idea! I will give that a try this afternoon.
 If you search the name, you can find a video tutorial on its use from Minwax. I think it is worth a try because I have other projects I would like to use this on if it works. Besides, knowledge is power and even knowing what doesn't work has value.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #665 on: November 22, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
Well today was mostly a lost day, as planned we made to the drive to Harbor Freight and I stuck to all the stuff on my list and only made one extra purchase for an angle gauge I saw and needed (can't find either of the two I already have, for months now). I was tempted a few times to grab other stuff, but there is a budget. I could easily blow 500 bucks on general supplies in there. Then we went to Lowes and wow, that is a much bigger and nicer store than we have here, cleaner too with lots more stock and items. I got the two waxes I wanted and a new can of linseed oil (mine is 50 years old and a tad 'stiff'). The wife browsed and as if by magic, she 'found' some stuff. :D So between the 2 stores, our wallets are lighter by about 250 bucks. We got a cheap lunch at a drive through, don't do that often and did the hour drive home.  I unloaded and put stuff away and it disappeared into the woodwork, mostly I just got cheap throw-away supplies and some bar clamps which I never have enough of....ever, 6,12, and 24". Got a bunch of moving blankets to cover my finished projects, some chip brushes, carpenter pencils (they always disappear), that spray gun that Rob recommended, paint filters, rags, and some other stuff. By the way I have to check with @tule peak timber and pick a bone with him, He said "get the purple one for around 16 bucks", so I did, but there are 3 purple spray guns and 2 of them are 15 and 16 bucks. Hope I made the right choice. ;D
So when I finally got down to work I did some cleanup sanding on the Cherry bench and poured some more cracks and tiny holes in joint edges. Then I got the drops and started doing some finish samples. I tried the new wax treatments on bare sanded wood, and also on a sample that had Danish oil on it. I had already done one in plain wood with just paste wax. Photos don't work for squat with this stuff, but here are the samples:

In the photo, the top sample is with the Minwax Grain Enhancer and it's associated wax, the middle sample is just minwax paste wax on bare sanded wood, and the bottom is Danish oil with the grain enhancer on top. I have discarded the Danish oil from consideration, don't like it. That leaves the top two and there is only a very subtle difference between the two, but even after laying out all that money for the 'grain enhancer' I think the plain paste wax looks better, but it's a toss up, they are so close. (The cost of education ain't always cheap.)
Unless something else comes along ( I have not tried the linseed oil yet, tonight or tomorrow) I will pick one of these. I am thinking simpler is better. My daughter is a kitchen designer and install project manager and she has done a lot of Cherry counters and cabinets and she tells me I have to be patient. Every cherry job they have done looks like this wood does when installed, then when she goes back in a year the deep dark cherry color is coming out and it looks totally different. The first time she saw that, she thought the client had new cabinets made because they looked so different and she had just reviewed the installation photos before her visit. So I guess this wood requires a little faith. ;D My daughter has never lied to me (that I know of). :D
I'll get back out for a little bit after dinner when I fill the stove.
Not much of a day, but progress continues.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #666 on: November 22, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
The difference in price is a meter and valve for pressure adjustment. Also they sell a little water inline desiccator which work pretty well a good idea.... I have no idea how they produce and market a gun that is at least as good as the big$$$ ones for 16 dollars ?? Cheers Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
Thanks Rob, I will check again and see what I bought. ;D I was just searching for where you recommended it to see what we are taking about so I could go find the finishes that would go through it, but I haven't found that yet. I have been reading the instructions on every can of finish I see in the stores now loooikng for spray application instructions and the all say 'brush or wipe', so it may be a while, but I have to find that section of the thread now that I think I have narrowed it down to the right thread.
 Thanks again, will let you know how badly I mess this up. ;D :D

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #668 on: November 22, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »
after I put wax over Danish oil, I use 000 steel wool for a light rub and to make it all consistent.  It was the final step on my favorite walnut bench I ever made.  the grain wax I am not familiar with, and it may just have stain or color added, so do a test piece first I would say.  looking great.  

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

wedding bench for my cousin.
Doc,  stick some scotchbrite fine or medium grade on an orbital sander,,,and start smiling. Nice looking project  :) Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #669 on: November 22, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
OGH,

Sounds like you had a good day. I like to go to our local HF and the moving blankets, magnets, 97 cent shop brushes (They may be more by now). 6 packs of work gloves and cheap nylon tarps are some common items I get there. One of the managers is a customer of mine. he repairs old spinning wheels and buys cherry slabs to use for that and last time he spotted a handful of cherry stickers I had saved when edging some boards and he bought several of them. If he is on the register I get employee discount although I never ask for it and have told him it is not necessary.

I made this as a prototype coat rack after seeing something @alan gage  made and showed on his retail store thread. I took an approximately 24" long live edge 4/4 black walnut "cookie" (?) with a lot of sapwood and marked and cut it roughly in half with a circle saw. I planed it to a consistent thickness between 5/8' &  3/4" I guess. I quartered a walnut cookie and in the end only used one quarter of it as a brace. I had extra length on the hanger screws so I screwed them on to the top half of an ash board I had ripped at a 45* angle to make my first ever French cleat. I hung it on the end of my barn as a test and realized I had the cleat hanger backwards so I removed the screws and rehung them. I wiped all exposed surfaces with tung oil.

I decided one brace was plenty and attached it with a long screw through the back. I did not attach to the top. I did have 2 exposed screws on the top and next time I may use a 1"X1" sticker on the back and attach to the top and back from both directions. Also cutting with a circle saw was a mistake - I need to make some kind of sled and cut my. next piece on a tablesaw for a more accurate cut so they fit better. I added a small spacer block so the rack mounts flush against the wall with the French cleat.

I started 2 walnut benches but will list that elsewhere.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #670 on: November 22, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Doc,  stick some scotchbrite fine or medium grade on an orbital sander,,,and start smiling. Nice looking project  :) Rob
ARRGH! Another neat trick from the master..... After my shopping trip. ;D I will have to look and see if I have some laying about, I should. I like scotch brite better than steel wool.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #671 on: November 22, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
ARRGHHH AGAIN!!!! I was just planning my week out and planning on finally getting to the county clerk now that things seemed calmed down. We have the boys tomorrow, so I figured Tuesday I would go down. As I am reading my email a few minutes ago and learned that just today they have closed the county offices again because of the spike in positive cases. ARRRRGGGHHH! I should never have delayed when it smoothed out. I confess it's hard to understand why the county offices deserve more protections than the cashier at any grocery store, but oh well. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if anything can be done. Otherwise, I wait some more. Geez this 'new normal' is getting old.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #672 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:55 PM »
Disclaimer: in the following post it should be clear that I am not boasting about this piece. There are so many others here on the forum whose skill and deftness far exceed what I can offer on my best day. By comparison I am but a bumbling hacker. I am simply tickled pink that I didn't screw this up too much. :)
 So this morning I sanded all the little tiny epoxy fills on the Cherry bench, then I worked my way through the grits down to 320. After that I hand sanded any larger epoxy areas (there are only a few), with 800 thru 3000 grit to make it as clear and smooth as possible. About that time as I was letting the blood back into my finger tips, @nybhh showed up for a visit. I walked him through all the finish samples I had done and got his opinion on a winner. He came down to the same 2 I picked and we settled on a final winner. Hand paste wax over linseed oil. I showed him the test bench too, and he didn't hate it. ;D
 He seemed to like how the Cherry came out, so while he was here, I laid down some linseed oil and we both like the way the grain started coming through. I think we both got a little excited to think how this will look when it ages a little and darkens up. After he was gone, I finished the first coat. It was warm in the shop, so it soaked in in short order. A while later I did a second coat. Of course, oil raises some grain and I found some spots that need re-sanding and of course the whole thing needs another fine sanding before another coat, but it is looking fairly good. In a NYC market, this would probably be a $750 bench or better. The joints were what I was sweating and I wanted to see what Brandon thought of them. He gave them an 8 out of 10. I had given them a 7. I'll work on that with the next one.
 This wood brought a lot of character to the table. Keep in mind that all the cracks you see have been filled with epoxy so it is glass smooth all over. That is not clear in the photos. So in no particular order:
One of the branch bumps, maybe I should have cut these back to the bench profile, but I left them as found and just smoothed them off.

The long view.

The other long view.

Bottom side.

Corner joint, pretty happy with the even epoxy line on this but I know it is not perfect.

The grain is starting to show and it is young yet.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with it. Looking forward to the final sanding, then getting some wax on it. This should be real pretty. Wish I had an NYC outlet for it, but we can work on that down the road. Now I am thinking about the next project, I will play some more with these blind spline joints until I get it right. Pretty soon I may be half competent at this.
 I may do another oil coat tonight, then tomorrow is another day.

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #673 on: November 24, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »
Here is one of the pics I took that shows the nice contrast between the heartwood and sapwood during that first oiling and as you mentioned, this should increase and become even stronger as it ages.

Seems like most projects that use cherry try and avoid this heartwood/sapwood contrast but I feel like this piece is really enhanced by it as it seems to reinforce the waterfall effect.  It really does look like its flowing over the edge.  Great job!  
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #674 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
   I did not mention it the first time but I really like those cut off limb stubs. I think they add a lot of character and I really like the way they finished in your photo. smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer thumbs-up
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #675 on: November 24, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »
Here is one of the pics I took that shows the nice contrast between the heartwood and sapwood during that first oiling and as you mentioned, this should increase and become even stronger as it ages.......
Seems like most projects that use cherry try and avoid this heartwood/sapwood contrast but I feel like this piece is really enhanced by it as it seems to reinforce the waterfall effect. ...
Well, right or wrong, my philosophy in this stuff is to keep it as natural as possible and show the beauty nature has taken years to present. Trying to hide the sapwood in this case would make it look like something it is not.  Likewise taking off the branch bumps. I figured if they presented problems or looked ugly during the finishing process, I could trim them back and blend the shape into the curve of the bench. I also think doing that might have presented a very cool looking effect and I still may try it on another slab. But keep in mind, as you take them back, the heart size decreases and will eventually disappear, so it becomes a gamble. (Do you feel lucky punk? Well .. do ya?) Howard, I figured I would finish them out as presented and it turned out to look appealing (to me) so I just smoothed and rounded them for effect and comfort on the eyes (and calves).
Maybe the next one will look better, maybe it won't. One day at a time, right? It's just another bench. :D
I just came back in from the shop and added another coat, colors are darkening and I am keeping the temp as warm as I can overnight to allow the wood to soak it up. (it's 72 out there now.) Did I mention I love the smell of linseed oil? It brings back my youngest memories. Pop used linseed oil often and in the last two days I began to appreciate why. He used it on gunstocks, ax handles and a lot of other stuff, actually any 'important' wood. I think I still have the last can he never emptied somewhere around here. I love the smell and the feel. (It makes my fingers and hands feel silky and smooth. :D) He used to wipe it on a gunstock all over and get it slick, then put down the rag and continue to rub it with his hand. Said said the warmth of your hand and the friction on the stock caused a localized heat that would hep the oil soak in and penetrate and keep the wood 'alive', that is, keep it from drying out. He would spend an hour massaging a new stock he was fitting to a rifle adding a few drops once in a while, then do it again the next night and repeat for a week or so. Linseed oil and Neatsfoot oil are two of the most powerful memory smells from my childhood.
But I digress.....and tomorrow is another day.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #676 on: November 24, 2020, 09:21:36 PM »
Looks great guys 👍

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #677 on: Yesterday at 07:44:15 PM »
A very frustrating day today. I guess I was due. I got a text this morning from a previous customer. He is the one I gave a healthy discount to, threw in some extra wood, and he still chewed me down on the price crying poverty. Then I messed up my back putting my pile back together after he picked through every board. The resulting Chiro appointments were not even covered by the money I made for the sale. He promised me at least a half days work at the mill to make up for it, never heard a word, and he never checked to see how I was doing. All that kind of soured me on his business. He contacted me a week or so ago about needing more wood. I was direct and said "send me a specific list and I will work up the price". "OK" he says, " I will send it tonight"....nothing. This morning I get a text from him " Hey! Are you available at all today? I'd like to come pick out some maple both for dance boards and some home projects ... but I am getting kind of stumped without being able to see it in front of me. Maybe I can pick some stuff up and place the order for the rest since I might need some cuts made / prep work ". I sent him back a text and this time made myself clear, this is my exact text, name omitted "[Name] I really thought you were just going to send me a cut list. Going thru my piles was an exception last time. It made a mess and the Chiropractor visits cost me more than the lumber I sold. I gave you a great price with extra wood thrown in besides and then you 'offered' me even lower. You said you would come back and help me mill but I never heard a word. Yes, you can come look, but I am watching my Grandsons today so there may be some distractions.  The maple I have is mostly accessable, but we are not pulling piles apart so you can look at each board. I am not sure when I will have time to mill to order now and I do not believe I have any maple logs on hand. Let me know when you are coming. Around mid-day is best. "
The rest of the morning I am getting sporadic texts from him. First was the apology. Then stuff like this: " I'm not sure how the quarter system or pricing in boardfeet works, but I need the following in maple:

SHELVES
2 pieces; 6ft x 10" boards, any acceptable thickness for shelving

DANCE BOARDS
48 board feet; 3/4" thick by 3" wide
24 board feet; 1" thick by 3" wide.

The most important dimension for me is the thickness of the floorboards. If you have nothing at the 3/4" thickness, what could be done?

No Add'l planing.

If you have only "x6" width, that's fine. I have a cheap table saw that I can use to rip the pieces to be 3" width

What would be the total for the above? Can you break it out so I know how much for each item? "

I know what he is making and the numbers didn't sound right. There is no way this guy is gonna pay for 48 + 24 BF of maple, and it is WAY over what he needs for his little build project. Lots of texts back and forth with questions and confused responses separated by hours some times. Finally after a lot of teaching he seems to understand there is a big difference between Board feet and Linear Feet. He finally shows up at 5pm and buys 2 1x10x6' boards. Whoopie.

In the meantime I was trying to put some wax on that cherry bench and it is not just coming up the way I had hoped. Try as I might, it is still dull. I may be working at it too hard. So that put me in a foul mood. I will go give it another shot after this post.

It's smooth and flat with a very nice buttery look, but I just don't know. I had hoped for a little more shine.

I think I have 4 or 5 good coats on the top and it is improving slightly but still seems dull. Maybe I am just too picky, but I don't think so.
Yesterday I came across some roadkill firewood, nicely cut and stacked by the highway guys from a storm blow down. Took me about 2 minutes to fill the truck. Today I split and stacked it, about a half cord, and also discovered a flat tire on the splitter that I have to address on another day. First time the splitter every gave me a hard time starting. Don't know why.
We also had the 3 boys here today and they decided to play hide and seek in the shop this afternoon. Just about drove me crazy. By the time they got picked up I was just about out of patience.
Tomorrow is the holiday and we are not having the usual big family thing. Just the boys and their Dad are coming over. My Daughter and SIL will be staying at home, and my Sister will be with her 2 kids. Always next year.
Time for the evening chores.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #678 on: Yesterday at 07:54:56 PM »
Greenhorn sounds like you have definitely had some excitement 😂. Next time tell them you got a bad back and if there going to pick through they need to stack it back like it was since you got a bad back 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #679 on: Yesterday at 09:38:18 PM »
It looks good and has that natural look.  you can always go back to a lacquer or poly.  I have done the Danish oil and wax, but mostly on walnut.  as the wood darkens, it may look closer to what you have in your mind.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trouble staying on the forum

Started by LeeB on Technical Support Topics

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 07:34:09 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Not dead, just busy, very busy engineering and reengineering and rereengineering

Started by arnold113 on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 08:18:59 AM
by vfauto
laugh
Busy Busy Busy (Photos)

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2002, 08:50:50 AM
by Bibbyman
xx
Chain not staying wet