The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.  (Read 15782 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2020, 09:48:06 PM »
    We heat with wood and have a natural gas furnace with baseboard radiators as a back up. We throw our wood in through a coal chute into the basement below which used to be a major chore requiring coordinated help from several people at the same time. I was studying the arrangement one day and a kid who lived with us the last half of the school year asked what I was doing. I told him I was trying figure some way to pass the wood through then lower it by myself. He said "Why don't you just make a raised wood box?" It was a genius idea. I immediately built a box out of old barn siding and scrap 2X4's. the box is about 6' long and 30" wide and 3' deep. I can throw in nearly a week's worth of wood at a time then when I go down in the basement I raise the bar and the wood is ready at chest height so I don't even have to bend over to pick it up. I bought a little 2-wheeled firewood dolly from TSC that lets me stack a 1'X 3' tall stack of wood then roll it into the den where the wood rack and heater are located. You may want to consider a similar or modified arrangement for your needs. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #421 on: September 16, 2020, 05:31:45 AM »
When I use to burn wood in the basement I made a box about 4 feet square to keep the wood contained when I threw the wood in though the window. I made a slot to put boards into on the front. I would remove the boards as I used the wood. Kept the wood and mess in one place instead of all over the basement floor.
Could always put a box fan behind the stove. I have one in my basement, I hung it upside down, so I could reach the controls, it has been there for years, maybe 3-4 years. It runs steady, I never shut it off. I told the wife, be lucky if it last six months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »
Yeah, work flow is important. I need to see how my day to day works out. The woodpile is just on the outside of the wall from the stove, you can see it through the window. SO no matter how I do it, it is only 4 to 10 steps from the pile to the stove. Floor space int he shop is a premium, so I would prefer to minimize the amount of wood in the shop. On the other hand a series of blizzards, broken equipment, or other issues can change one's priorities pretty quick. ;D Sometimes the work stops in winter in order to battle the weather. Howard, the cart I refereed to that I use in the house looks like this:

Is that what you have? I love that little thing and want to get one for the shop. The tires work great in snow and ice and it holds more than a days wood in it. I just park it by the stove. Easy.

I just went out to the shop a few minutes ago to check the stove and I guess I choked it down too far, the chimney cooled down and I had a dribble of creosote juice running off the top of the stove. It will take a while to figure out the airflow I guess. There was still a good bed of coals, so I think I choked it way too much. Also wondering why that gasket leaked. It is supposed to warm up for a few days now, so maybe I'll let it cool off and do a little remedial work. I'll have to pull the chimney to do that. Oh well.
 The shop floor was 62 and the loft was 64, so my airflow in the building seems good and without much layering.  (It was 46 in the attic.) Balancing all this will take a little while. It's a process.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
Similar cart to what I use to bring firewood into the  basement.  Much better than the arm load at a time method. Do you use a chimney thermometer?

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »
Similar cart to what I use to bring firewood into the  basement.  Much better than the arm load at a time method. Do you use a chimney thermometer?
Yeah, I love the thing. Used to be that by March, my left arm didn't work too good. ;D
 Yes, I use those magnetic stove thermometers to monitor. Was running the stack at about 225 when I left the shop last might, but I guess that dropped off quick when I choked it too much. It's a dance.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
OGH,

That cart looks like mine only yours looks like it has Pneumatic tires and would would work better on dirt or such than mine. The tires on mine are solid and work fine on our concrete/tile floor inside but probably not on dirt. It is a very simple but very practical design.

Instead of a slot with removable boards like cfarm describes I put about a 6' long 2X4 on the front to raise the height. I just drove a nail or put a long screw through the upright one one end and made a cradle on the upright on the other end out of a couple of short pieces of 2x4 for the floating end to rest in. Now I can just rotate/pivot the front 2x4/bar up and rest it on the other upright while I unload wood. This gives me and extra foot of storage height. I just have to be careful not to bump the floating end of the bar when I prop it on the upright or it will rotate down and fall down on my noggin.

Before I built the box it was a 3 person job to bring wood in. I'd be outside passing wood through the opening, my daughter would be standing on a wobbly chair taking the wood and handing it to her brother who would carry an armload at a time to the next room and stack it while both bickered about the bark or dirt or such falling off on them. The raised box is much faster and simpler and a one man affair. The raised box means I don't even bend over to pick up the wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
I am a little confused by your description. A photo would help a lot. Maybe I should just re-read it slower ;D
 As I said, I don't really want to store more than a says wood in the shop and the pile is so close. That hand truck with the pneumatic tires is the best ticket I think I could have. Bit cash is very right right now, so I will hold off for a bit.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:42 AM »

Closed position. See coal chute above where wood is tossed in from outside. The top 2X4/bar rotates. Lower bar is just for extra height in the box.

Open position with the top bar resting on the upright for access to the wood box.

Pivot arrangement. Just a horizontal 2X4 wedged between 2 vertical 2X4s and a carriage bolt holding them together allowing the horizontal piece to rotate up and down.

This whole box arrangement was made from leftover scrap with no money expended except maybe 50-60 cents for a bolt, nut and a couple of washers.
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
I get it now, perfect setup. Cheap and simple and efficient!

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »
need someone's old treadmill setting outside so you can drop it on the conveyor belt and it will zip inside.  a little less effort and  a lot more fun.  might even save your back.
wv I was imagining you box out side.  that makes sense the way you are doing it..
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
   Yeah, i can't believe we struggled to get firewood in for all those years till finally a 16 y/o boy casually suggested the solution like it was so obvious which it was when he said it. The uprights are just 8' untreated pine 2X4s that were laying around. The bottom was a scrap of leftover heavy barn siding. The box is the size it is because that was the size of the scrap barn siding. The uprights are nailed to the floor joists above for stability. Absolutely no extra cost and probably took less than 30 minutes to slap together but we have used it for over 20 years. 
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »
Its funny how those simple things can provide such a huge solution. I have a few things around there that I suffered through for years until I finally made myself re-think it through and realize I could have made it better years ago, if I had just thought it through.

Well, today I was distracted by the stove, I am just so tickled to have it done. Even though it was not cold out today, cool, not cold, but I did want to start testing the waters to see how this would effect the building heat in general. So, I stoked it just a little this morning with junk pieces.
 The stove is kind of close to stuff and I wanted to get that cleaned up, so I swung the parts cabinet around. There is a white board, 4x5' I got from a company throwing it out over 15 years ago that I had behind that cabinet. It is too big for me to find any place to hang it, but I like white boards for working out ideas. It is of no use getting shuffled around, so I decided to take it apart and cut it down to a size I could hang and use. I am tired of moving it. While I was working I stuck a somewhat stale buttered roll in that little oven to try it out and it toasted up really nice. Dad would have gotten a kick out of that. The white board. took way too long and killed half the day but I got it hung and then hung the scrap piece up high where I have no idea what good it will do, but it is out of the way. Then I swept and vacuumed up the dust and junk that just seems to appear all the time and wound up with this.

While I was working and watching the stove I happened to notice that the catalytic combustor finally kicked in and cleared the little window so I could see that lovely glow. It's been a long time.

The photo doesn't show it well, but it was beautiful. I checked the chimney output and you could not even tell the stove was working, nothing visible coming out.
 I guess I got in the cleaning up and organizing mood a little bit because working and sitting near the stove was kind of nice. I went through a bunch of stuff and papers in the stuff I brought home from work when I left. Most of it was junk and past priorities that mean nothing now. Fire starters now. ;D I did a little cleaning upstairs but didn't make a dent. I sat and looked at that firdge my son brought over last week that is sitting on the bench and took a fair amount of time trying to find a less intrusive home for it, but could not come up with a good idea. I will think on it some more. I don't really like having it on the bench.

I really have to get that bench cleaned up in general, it's a mess, can't stand it. I think though that tomorrow I need to get outside and get back to work. More firewood yet, and I need to get going on the 'water tower'. I feel like I am running out of steam a little.
 Been watching the attic temps and today, even though the outside temp never hit 70, the attic hit 90. Of course the shop was at around 75  ;D. I have high hopes this will be a better winter int eh shop than past years.
 Tomorrow is another day.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
Looks nice but I  wanted  to share a issue that I  had with installing a woodstove  in the shop at my last house (Dutchess county) . To get a certificate  of compliance so my insurance  company  wouldn't drop me the stove needed to be 18 inches off the floor.  Apparently shop fumes stay low and the 18 inches was in the code to avoid  problems.  Not sure what code you're location  goes by but most insurance  companies  require a COC if you install a solid  fuel appliance and the inspection  doesn't  cost much to avoid future problems. They just need the UL listing tag and model number / serial number of the stove for the paperwork that the town files after they look at the installation then they provide copy for your insurance company.  From the picture  it looks  like yours is just  sitting on the floor but I can't tell for sure and am not sure if you did this already and your code is different.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #433 on: Yesterday at 06:27:23 AM »
My stove sits about 12" off the floor. I have no fumes in my shop beyond common gastric issues. ;D Dutchess county is filled with panty waist bureaucrats looking for money any place they can squeeze it. They are over taxed and over regulated (and overrun with city folk).
 But your advice is sound and I will look into it. Since they have come out with the EPA stoves I don't know if they are permitting new installations to use the older stoves, regardless of efficiency.
Thanks.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #434 on: Yesterday at 09:57:06 AM »
My stove sits about 12" off the floor. I have no fumes in my shop beyond common gastric issues. ;D Dutchess county is filled with panty waist bureaucrats looking for money any place they can squeeze it. They are over taxed and over regulated (and overrun with city folk).
 But your advice is sound and I will look into it. Since they have come out with the EPA stoves I don't know if they are permitting new installations to use the older stoves, regardless of efficiency.
Thanks.

That's why I  left there. After 911 the whole area changed.  It wasn't  the town that was the issue though.  It was my insurance company being  able to deny claims  because of changes to the underwritten insurance policy without proper paperwork. I had the same issue up here in Wayne county when I  installed  a woodstove.  Insurance required a certificate of compliance to keep my policy in effect. Insurance  companies are always  looking for a out.  Taxes up here in Wayne  county are even worse.  It's a good idea to run something  like a woodstove install through your insurance agent to be safe. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #435 on: Yesterday at 07:30:30 PM »
Well this wasn't such a great day. Normal start, I got out in the shop and started a small fire in the stove just to see what the shop response time would be and to keep my coffee cup warm. I didn't fees it and let it go out by around noon. I did a little more cleaning up and putting away, then around 9 I opened the door and took the mule out to load up with some wood. Came back to close the door and it was stuck, so began 3 hours of misery. The cable came off the spool on one side. It should be well known that I hate garage doors. I messed with this, tore my hands up, skinned knuckles, took stuff apart and put it back together, finally got the door to close, and open again, and close. 3 wasted hours and it is still not really right. I know I am gonna have more trouble with it. Disgusted. I had lunch.
 After lunch I bucked up a few logs, split and over filled the mule and brought that over to the house pile. It was enough, I am calling it done, at just about 5 cord.

I had one log left, so I bucked and split that and put it on the shop pile not there yet, but close enough. I am about a half cord (or less) short of the 5 cord goal for the shop but Brandon and I have a few cutting sessions scheduled in a few weeks and he needs my splitter. I also have slabs to cut and split and more coming when I get back to milling, so that half cord will happen without really trying. Calling it good for now.

One thing I realized, you know how the mind drifts off when you are splitting?  Well more than once I found myself boxing the pith on a few pieces for no apparent reason at all.

So not a great day, hopefully tomorrow is a better one.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #436 on: Yesterday at 10:28:45 PM »
Looks like you did fine. Some days are going to be better than others 👍

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trouble staying on the forum

Started by LeeB on Technical Support Topics

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 07:34:09 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Not dead, just busy, very busy engineering and reengineering and rereengineering

Started by arnold113 on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 08:18:59 AM
by vfauto
laugh
Busy Busy Busy (Photos)

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2002, 08:50:50 AM
by Bibbyman
xx
Staying Fixed