The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: first upgrade needed on my woodmizer LT 35 Hydraulic  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: first upgrade needed on my woodmizer LT 35 Hydraulic
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:46 AM »
I wonder if I can cut off the bottom of the factory woodmizer jacks and weld it to the new jack leg to maintain the same angle..  I will have to check it out tomorrow. 

thanks for the heads up.. I was just gonna run the new jacks straight down and not worry about that offset.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
   Be sure to check the operator's manual regarding warnings about welding on the mill. You don't want to do anything to damage the electronics or void the warranty. JAFR.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »
I can remove the jacks and do the welding off the mill.  if you jack it up far enough you can just slide the stock outriggers out the bottom. 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
I wonder if I can cut off the bottom of the factory woodmizer jacks and weld it to the new jack leg to maintain the same angle..  I will have to check it out tomorrow.  

thanks for the heads up.. I was just gonna run the new jacks straight down and not worry about that offset.
It is tempting to use jacks as is, but DONT! Woodmizer know what they are doing!

The angle on those offset feet is 45. Buy a 6 inch construction triangular square at the lumber yard! You need one in you mill tool box anyway.
It is easier to build em from scratch.

The piece on the table is the new top sleeve of these 2 jacks. Estimated jack capacity after the mods for them is 10,000lbs.

Note the angle cut on the sleeve. It is important to get the jack raised up all the way for transport  

FYI
I actually replaced the entire top part of the jack sleeve with category III hitch grade receiver tube.  The angle piece is 45 and was 6.25" long if I remember right. I can measure it for you if you like.

YES! I do tend to "over kill" BUT there is no kill, like over kill! I have enough receiver tubing to rebuild the outer sleeve on all my jacks but haven't done it so far. Some day I'll get an itch to do some fab work when I'm bored and the jacks will all get new outer sleeve.

Just cause I can! 8)  And I do like the fit better as well. Necessary? NO! Just a project to get me out of the house (wife's hair) in the winter time.    

There are only 4 bolts holding each jack mount in place. REMOVE THE ENTIRE mount because it is the safe way to do it and it is easier anyway.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
It is tempting to use jacks as is, but DONT! Woodmizer know what they are doing! The angle on those offset feet is 45. Buy a 6 inch construction triangular square at the lumber yard! You need one in you mill tool box anyway. It is easier to build em from scratch.

I have the old style straight out riggers. I don't understand what this offset is for. Can you enlighten me?
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »
the offset legs are how the mills come now to make the mill more stable I assume. 

I received the rest of my jacks today!  so after work tomorrow I will install them except for the 2 that need the offset legs until I get a plate for the botom.  I already have 14" of 2.5" tube steel thats 1/4" thick for the off sets.  I might just use the bottom of 2 of the jacks that are stock on the mill. 

I will upload pics when I'm done. 

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 12:10:26 AM »
the offset legs are how the mills come now to make the mill more stable I assume.  

I received the rest of my jacks today!  so after work tomorrow I will install them except for the 2 that need the offset legs until I get a plate for the botom.  I already have 14" of 2.5" tube steel thats 1/4" thick for the off sets.  I might just use the bottom of 2 of the jacks that are stock on the mill.  

I will upload pics when I'm done.
Thanks for replying. It does look like they would add a bit of off set load and take out some slop in the assembly. Looks good.
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
is anybody running adjustable outriggers without the offset legs on the operator side?  just curious , if so does the mill feel stable? 

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
Stability should be the same whether adjustable or not. 

I ran my sawmill 10 years with the standard straight down outriggers.  My wheel is 18" wider than the outriggers and provides stability against any chance of tipping over.  It maybe could be "tippy" if the wheel was off of the ground but I always set up with the wheel in full contact with the ground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
Stability should be the same whether adjustable or not.  

I ran my sawmill 10 years with the standard straight down outriggers.  My wheel is 18" wider than the outriggers and provides stability against any chance of tipping over.  It maybe could be "tippy" if the wheel was off of the ground but I always set up with the wheel in full contact with the ground.

I was thinking the same.. it should be fine as long as your not high up in the air and the tire still has contact with the ground.  where I mill at my wood lot I set up pretty much on level ground within a few inches so the tire is not even off the ground.  I installed all my aftermarket adjustable outriggers tonight.  now I just need to pin or weld nuts on top of the jacks because the handles seem to want to hit things when adjusting the height of the jacks. I used my dewalt 20 volt drill to adjust my LT 15 jacks and it didnt seem to struggle.  hopefully it can raise up this mill also.  if not I will convert a tire iron 4 way like others have and use that vs the jack handles. all these jacks are at or above the bottom of the old jacks while in transport hole and should easilly give me more adjustment in height when lowered to milling height hole while milling.  thanks to everyone for the advise and references to get this done and saving me about 1200 dollars!

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »
I would suggest making a lock which drops over the adjustment nut and onto the frame of the jack.  Without it they will vibrate loose on you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
sounds good! I will come up with a way to lock them.

thanks

Offline Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
the fine adjust outriggers are so much easier!!!  I am very happy with how they came out!   I did drill and pin the nuts on top of the jacks as recommended vs welding them.  the only thing I need to remember is:  when done milling for the day, take pressure off the jack so its free and then pull the locking pin and raise up the jack to the transport height before using the drill to raise up the leg all the way.  if not the jack with unexpectedly stop raising when it hits the pin and make the drill come to a quick stop which spins it around...  some could get a tweaked wrist if not paying attention.  other than that they are awesome! 

didn't feel any loss in stability while milling at all.  but I will not set up on any slopes. 

so anyone wanting to convert....  for about 420 bucks you can get rid of the factory back breaking jacks!! 

thanks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
b20 hydraulic upgrade

Started by sandsawmill14 on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post November 07, 2016, 08:31:13 AM
by paul case
xx
hydraulic upgrade for 1982 lt30

Started by coronet1967 on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:46:17 PM
by pineywoods
xx
Upgrade current or move up to hydraulic. Your thoughts?

Started by JP135 on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 12:34:53 PM
by terrifictimbersllc
xx
CNC Digital Wood Carver got a much needed upgrade today

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber on General Woodworking

2 Replies
Last post December 24, 2016, 10:19:19 PM
by Kbeitz