The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Loctite?  (Read 784 times)

Offline luap

• Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
Re: Loctite?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Does the original manufacture have a torque spec for these bolts? I am guilty of ignoring torque specs and saying "that feels tight enough". Also many factory repair procedures state to use new hardware as threaded components become stretched but is another instruction I frequently ignore.

Offline Tacotodd

• Full Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
Quite often the fastener doesnít have the same elasticity that it had prior to use. Usually, from the heat that itís exposed to. Some are more resistant than others, some less. Think of how an improperly ground chain cutter tooth is. It tends to change the Rockwell hardness. 
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 01:36:16 PM »
Well if you're talking about spark plug inserts that's  a horse of a different color.The best ones are made by "Time Serts " .Fact Roush racing uses them exclusively on every Ford Racing engine they build .However I do have one somebody screwed a straight threaded insert in that does back out.It's of little concern as it's a shelf queen .Not a pretty one either .
As far as torque specs on fasteners ,they can be found with a Google search .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
Time Serts are great and so are their prices(high). They use really obscure taps that you can hardly find and a special tool to install. No thanks unless I'm building racing engines. The insert I used came from a NAPA set. Can't really blame the insert if it comes back out with the plug....other than there was no mechanical provision to 'lock' the insert in place like some other inserts have.

Fasteners do stretch and if Stihl says to replace them with new, you should heed that. That's especially critical on head bolts for large engines.

Kevin 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
Although I've never done it there might be a method to crank in a straight thread insert to work .Firstly there isn't much "meat" to thread on a chainsaw cylinder .However if you could cut the hole and use perhaps a spiral point tap but don't run it clear through you might get a wedging action on the partially finished threads on the base .
In one of my tool boxes,which ever one it is have some inserts that Ford once used on cast iron V8 engines .They required a tool to screw them in and the install tap was real odd ball super fine thread much like a spiral point tap .These were discarded when the big iron engines went the way of the passenger pigeon into history as well as infamy .

Online Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
Went through the hardware store washer assortment, holes in the muffler were to small diameter to use them, too much fiddling FWIW and I haven't been anywhere to get the correct loctite product.
 I went ahead and put it together  with the new screws snugged up as much as I dared and the muffler loosened up after about ten minutes, brightside is I only sent one screw to never never land in the grass ::)....Have a spare, but not going to try again without  loctite. Next time I get to town, unless I get lucky with the local mechanic who might haved some on the shelf.

Offline Real1shepherd

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »
You're not gonna get those special Stihl spring washers at a hardware store. I think it's worth the wait to order and try.

I know the Loctite product I recommended earlier will work...but in desperation for not finding it, using another red Loctite product you find at a local hardware/box auto parts store won't work either for long.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
I've found serrated spring washers on E-bay but they want a kings ransom for them .The Amazon deal for 14 bucks for an assortment of 200 in varied sizes doesn't seem too bad .I have no idea how much they would be from a Stihl dealer .I know often a dealers prices is less then the flim flam flea bay sellers .
As far as a 5 mm spring washer those are easy to find but are  not serrated .Better than nothing I suppose .
I suppose you could put a star washer over the spring washer and get close to the holding power with a large headed Torx screw .BTW not all Stihls show a spring washer,just a Torx head screw .Wow lots of options  just to hold a muffler on . 

Online Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 04:59:00 PM »
Local mechanic had a little loctite peg board display so I've got the red stuff. I still might wait til I get to the city to see if the stihl shop has those washers might be better to use both.  On a plus I did get my 7900 out of the shop so I have another saw running  that runs a 24 inch bar. So the Husquvarna can sit a while, and maybe get the slab rack cleaned up.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter