The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: goose neck into logging trailer  (Read 6774 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: goose neck into logging trailer
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »
YH, this is your friendly reminder to oil that trailer deck soon.  Im a few years late on mine and wish i wasnt.
Yes, I agree.  I have been letting it go too long because I have some pretty big holes in the deck from where big butt flair logs have punched through the boards.  Ive got some work to do already.  I have been meaning to to replace the decking, but I have until next inspection, in August, to deal with it.  

I am almost thinking of removing the decking altogether and leaving it off.  But Im worried that without the shock absorbing layer of wood, my steel would get damaged.  Any thoughts?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline Tacotodd

• To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2021, 11:43:03 AM »
YH, steel is pretty tuff stuff,, so I hope/know youre just yanking our chain!
Trying harder everyday.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »
Well.. With just crossmembers itll become just a two trick pony (logs or lumber only) but if you only need your pony to do two tricks...

How will you keep the rusty steel from staining your lumber packs?  You truly dont need it for anything else? Moving tractor or cars ever?
Revelation 3:20

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2021, 04:15:41 AM »
anyone have tips on the oil bath hubs?
Have a Diamond C trailer with the standard plastic caps and want to upgrade to Valcrums premium aluminum alloy oil hubcaps? Select your compatible Lippert/Dexter axle here to order the correct Valcrum hubcap for your trailer for an easy upgrade.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:54 AM »

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2021, 04:08:47 PM »
found some great test "logs" with almost no taper to test out my bunks.  a little heart rot all the way through,  and it is a "black" something.  came from a grain elevator.  My buddy Dallas, did not want to see them go to waste.   no leaves or bark, but some wheat ran out of the center.  had linear rings, not concentric.

it was an hour drive.  the uprights pulled off nice.  we had 3 sold before we got home to friends we thought might need them.  hundred bucks a piece.  a day later Dallas's wife got 200$ each for 3 more on Craig's list, but they have not been picked up yet.  got some dirt on the paint, and they worked well.  will prob. sell as is, although @YellowHammer would prob. quarter saw, and @Southside would house chickens in them.   :D :D :D

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2021, 04:13:39 PM »
Seems to be ring diffuse? Probably very rot resistant
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2021, 06:10:47 PM »
I would love to get my hands on that score. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:33 PM »
all i see is a trailer full of cash. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2021, 11:02:15 PM »
All I see are some well made and very sturdy metal bunks!
YellowHammerisms:

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2021, 03:45:00 AM »
Looks great Doc!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
the same culvert pipe is 540 bucks at a farm store each.  good deal at 200 bucks, and not buried for a thousand years.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline JuanChair

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »
Ive hauled many million pounds of logs and lumber in my PJ Gooseneck setup, for several years, maybe 400 miles a week on a DOT inspected truck and trailer.  This is a very safe and extremely strong setup, with 4 inch heavy wall tubing for bunks, and removable side supports for hauling packs of lumber.  The bunks slip on heavy stubs.  The whole thing sits in the stakes pockets and can removed if desired.  When hauling lumber, just slip the bunks off the studs and leave the main assembly on the trailer to allow forklifts to get their forks under the pallet.  

I have many pictures with measurements in my galley, and several people have reproduced this design with success.  

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5893

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

The side supports slip over stubs.  

The studs are through welded and inset Inyo the 4x4, it is not just fillet welded to the top.  In order for the stud to come off, it would literally have to rip itself through the steel square tubing.  

Great Idea and thank you for sharing it with us.   I'm  researching all the equipment and "things" I will need to get started and this helps a lot. 

Offline Biocmp

• Taking steps on the path
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
Ive hauled many million pounds of logs and lumber in my PJ Gooseneck setup, for several years, maybe 400 miles a week on a DOT inspected truck and trailer.  This is a very safe and extremely strong setup, with 4 inch heavy wall tubing for bunks, and removable side supports for hauling packs of lumber.  The bunks slip on heavy stubs.  The whole thing sits in the stakes pockets and can removed if desired.  When hauling lumber, just slip the bunks off the studs and leave the main assembly on the trailer to allow forklifts to get their forks under the pallet.  

I have many pictures with measurements in my galley, and several people have reproduced this design with success.  

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5893

The side supports slip over stubs.  

The studs are through welded and inset Inyo the 4x4, it is not just fillet welded to the top.  In order for the stud to come off, it would literally have to rip itself through the steel square tubing.  

How tall are your stubs? Side supports?  I ask because you mentioned when you have a really big log that is too heavy to lift over the supports, you remove them and roll it off.  I'm curious about how you roll over the rather sizable stubs?  They look like they stick up at least 6-8+ inches from the cross members

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »
It's easy.  If you have a log on the trailer heavier than your loader can deadlift, using the forks on the loader or tractor, push and slide the log against the far side of the trailer against the stubs.

Then ease the forks under the log, and have the tips extend slightly outboard of the trailer frame.  Gently pry the log over the stubs using the forks as a huge crowbar, and gently roll it over the stubs, and have it thump to the ground.  You can get huge leverage like this to pry off all even the biggest logs.  Also, use the heel of the loader forks to contain the trailer from trying to flip over, if the log weighs more than the trailer.

Otherwise, if the logs are extremely huge, cut a piece of railroad crosstie into the shape of a wedge taller than the stubs, then simply roll the log off on the wedge ramp, over the tops of the stubs.

This is why I'm not a big fan of grapples for unloading logs, the grapples are heavy so reduce the lifting capacity of the loader, and they also attach the tractor or loader directly to the log, if they are used to actually grapple the log.  If the log is grappled off its center of gravity, it can roll the tractor.  Using forks, if the logs isn't being lifted in its CG, the forks can be rapidly dropped and moved to the side.  No big deal.      

Heres are some pics of some of the logs I've unloaded.

A load of big sycamore:

Here's a very heavy oak log I rolled off the trailer with wooden wedges.

YellowHammerisms:

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »
Love seeing those pictures YH. How long is your trailer?

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2021, 10:53:51 PM »
Its a 25 foot PJ.

For reference, Im 65 and you can see how big the oak logs is.  For unloading it, I placed a few cut off stumps under the trailer frame so that when all the weight was to one side of the trailer, the frame would rest on the stumps.  That way I wouldnt risk bending the frame or flipping the trailer. I then put the wedges on, and crowbarred it right off the trailer with the forks.  

Later, I found out that the guys at the local mega mill were taking bets if I would buy it, if I could get it home, if I could unload it, and if I would damage anything in the process.  Only one fellow bet all in on me, and when I showed back for another load of logs later in the day, he was a happy guy. :D

YellowHammerisms:

Offline Biocmp

• Taking steps on the path
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
Thanks Yellowhammer, that is incredibly helpful and makes perfect sense. I'm new to this world and it's easy to get caught up in trying to buy equipment big enough to lift these 1-off logs but there's a lot of value in ingenuity with leverage/mechanical advantage. 

So much to learn....

Appreciate you sharing all this information.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
ATV Logging trailer

Started by jerry sundberg on General Board

49 Replies
Last post January 20, 2019, 06:32:31 AM
by jerry sundberg
xx
logging/forwarding trailer

Started by sawmillsi on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 04:56:15 PM
by Stephen Alford