iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer BMS250 Tips and Tricks

Started by Unclefish, June 28, 2020, 05:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Did you glue the magnets on, or are they stuck to the steel underneath the pan?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

They will stick to the filings in the pan, even through they are placed underneath.  If there aren't enough filings, then I will stick then where they will hold temporarily, next to the steel in the frame.  I use some I got somewhere, they are round, about the size of a silver dollar, and they work fine.  I put all the magnets that are in the oil, wrapped up inside a ziplock bag, so all I have to do to clean the filings off is pull the magnets out of the bag and drop it in the garbage.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

When I was running the planners at the CLT plant and grinding the 26 blade heads. I used the magnetic pads like what they make the car door signs with. They stuck to the bottom of the pan on the inside and I pulled them out and used a putty knife to scrap them off in a garbage can. That may not work very well with 100% oil. We used a mixture of Aceco cutting fluid and water. I don't remember what the ratio was. Also, the pan drained into a tank , so the pad and filings were pretty dry when I cleaned them. Does the BMS250 have a separate tank for the oil to drain into? 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

No. The pan slides out, but do you have the little pump barricaded behind an L-shaped magnet dam in the front right corner. So to pull out the drawer one needs to either set the pump up on the deck, or lift it up so you can slide the drawer/magnet assembly underneath it. But sliding it out has to be done really evenly if you have oil an inch from the top.

i usually just pop on nitrile gloves and lift the magnets out, wiping them off in a cut off oil container. Helps to slide the tray out though because a lot of filings accumulate way in the back I'm going to try adding some other magnets underneath and see if maybe you can keep them in the front easily.

Overall its pretty quick to clean out the drawer with gloves on. just need to get the hang of building that little L-shaped dam back quickly because the magnets have polarity don't like to go where you put them if theyre not oriented right.

Like putting a cat in a cat carrier box.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PAmizerman

Put a good exhaust fan on it. I just upgraded from what I was originally using. I'll have to get pics
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

boonesyard

Just getting ours set up, sharpened up 5, we'll see how they cut. A lot of great hacks and info here, thanks.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

tawilson

I would like to mount a desetter somewhere in the operation but haven't come up with anything. Anyone done this?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Southside

I am actually testing one out now that attaches to the WM setter, de-sets and sets in one pass. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

boonesyard

Quote from: Southside on January 17, 2022, 10:46:39 PM
I am actually testing one out now that attaches to the WM setter, de-sets and sets in one pass.
I would really like to see that setup.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

sweetfarm

Great tips in here!
I just picked ours up. I am looking foreword to getting ours set up and working.

jimbarry

I installed brushes to sweep oil off the blades and to aid in containing the airborne mist. Both sides.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

I bought a pack of none adhesive sheet magnets. There are a couple laying in the bottom of the pan to help pick up filings. I found that they work well on the blade entrance and exit to help reduce the oil from splashing out. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

I go out to my neighbours cardboard bin, It gets filled every week,  bring in cardboard that I put under where the oil drips. I replace it when it when it gets a little messy. 
I like the brush idea.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Fern Wood

Probably have around 800 sharpenings on my wheel. Can't seem to adjust it for a light face grind and heavier back grind anymore. I am assuming the wheel is getting wore. So I have been doing a light face grind with one pass and adjusting for the back grind on another pass. They are getting really sharp but I assume I will be losing the blade profile.

MattM

Quote from: Unclefish on June 28, 2020, 06:01:04 PM
I will be first heres my extra parts pile.
Anyone know where they go.

Finally got my bms250 (after a 7.5 month wait) and I just thought I'd answer this question seen as how nobody else seemed to and it might help someone in the future.
The three little blocks with a smooth hole and a threaded hole get bolted to the sharpener body and then the blade support arms attach to them. This lets you adjust the height of the arms.
The big bracket thing is an adjustment bracket that attaches to where the CBN wheel is mounted so that you can set the blade clamp position.
The plastic pieces are meant to attach to the arms so that the blade will run on them.
And the big spacer that looks like a skinny washer is for 2in blades.
All of this is in the manual that comes with the machine but for some reason is hard to find when your actually putting everything together   :P . Pretty sure I looked through that thing ten times trying to figure out what those three blocks were for and it wasn't till after I figured it out myself and was flipping through the manual that I found it  8)
LT35HDG25

jimbarry

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 15, 2022, 09:59:26 PM
I like the brush idea.  
Update on the brush idea. Over time, the small metal fines do collect in the brushes. Sufficient enough to pull the small magnet off of the blade. In essence, the blade continues to sharpen beyond the full cycle.  Problem can be resolved by dragging the magnet through the bristles on the brushes. Using a stronger magnet would also work I guess. I run two sharpeners and it only happens on the newer machine with the small magnets that came with it. The older machine I've lost one of the magnets and have replaced it with a larger one, no issues with it.

Stephen1

Quote from: jimbarry on October 27, 2022, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on June 15, 2022, 09:59:26 PM
I like the brush idea.  
Update on the brush idea. Over time, the small metal fines do collect in the brushes. Sufficient enough to pull the small magnet off of the blade. In essence, the blade continues to sharpen beyond the full cycle.  Problem can be resolved by dragging the magnet through the bristles on the brushes. Using a stronger magnet would also work I guess. I run two sharpeners and it only happens on the newer machine with the small magnets that came with it. The older machine I've lost one of the magnets and have replaced it with a larger one, no issues with it.
Jim, I loose the orange magnets all the time. What other magnets do you use?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jimbarry

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 30, 2022, 07:41:29 PMJim, I loose the orange magnets all the time. What other magnets do you use?
Whatever I can find. Best ones are out of old computers. Otherwise, a bag of magnets off the internet will do.

jimbarry

On the newer BMS250 I have here, I discovered that one of the 3 jets was not drilled through, only about half way. I couldn't figure out why there was a build up occurring on the CBN wheels. Drilled it out and problem fixed.

Cedarman

Do all have 3 holes or do some have 2?
I only have 2 in mine.
One clogs once in a while and I have to clean it out.  But I don't see sparks when both are shooting oil.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MattM

@Stephen1 princess auto sells them in a bag of 40 for 16$ they're item #8712747
LT35HDG25

jimbarry

TimW

Jim,
     If the end game is increasing flow, did you consider running straight back and through the wall?  Instead of ducting it down to the window?
            hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

jimbarry

Quote from: Bindian on August 09, 2023, 06:56:23 PM
Jim,
    If the end game is increasing flow, did you consider running straight back and through the wall?  Instead of ducting it down to the window?
           hugs,  Brandi

That certainly would work but I'm not looking to poke holes in the wall at this time. We're planning on putting up a dedicated building for the sharpening, so everything will get moved into it.

Thank You Sponsors!