The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Kiln Rental?  (Read 263 times)

Offline gwisejr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Kiln Rental?
« on: July 09, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
Good morning,

My Wife and I are building a new home on 5 acres and in the process, I cut down a bunch of pine trees and hires a local sawyer to come and mill them into boards for fencing. While doing that, I bought a bunch of hickory logs and had those milled for flooring.

Long story short, I built a solar kiln to dry the wood out. I just finished building it and have the first load of air dried hickory in it. There will be three loads total and then I'm done. So My question is, is there a market for solar kiln rentals in the north Georgia area? 

So, Kinda overkill I know but I added some computer monitoring and controls. temp and humidity sensors, venting controls, etc. Once we move in and have internet connectivity, the control page will be remotely accessible. 

Anyways, is there a market for renting it out? The kiln is 8x20 and will fit up to ~19ft long boards. I calculate about 1700 board/feet of space using 1" think boards.

Thanks,

The kiln is 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: Kiln Rental?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
I'll tell you what, if you lived near me you would be my new best friend. ;D :) :D

Why not just do some local advertising, let folks bring and load their materials and you process it for them and they pick it up. No extra expense for trailer it until the 'right guy' comes along and makes you an offer you can't turn down. Just a thought.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline gwisejr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
HA... Old Greenhorn, thanks.. That is what I had in mind.. I don't have anything to haul that much weight around anyways. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
Just a word of caution with your proposal.  It's pretty DanG easy to saw poor lumber that looks great in a stack just off of the mill.  The hidden truth will reveal itself as the lumber dries, moves, tries to walk out the kiln door, etc.  Guess who will get the blame for "ruining" all of that "FAS", 24"  wide, 8/4, 16' long, cherry lumber?  You know - the really pretty stuff that has a nice, wide, white streak on one edge?  So fashionable!!   Yup - the guy running the kiln.  It's always the kiln operators fault - don't you know that?   ::)  Then of course there is the guy who drops said slab onto his foot loading your kiln and wants to know who your insurance company is so he can send them the hospital bill....

Lot to think about with your idea.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
Just a word of caution with your proposal. ....

Lot to think about with your idea.  
Southside is absolutely correct here and it blew right past me. I was only thinking about how you would move the kiln to locations for rentals. Indeed he has made this point a few times here on the forum and his point is indisputable. AT the very least, you need to have a written agreement of what constitutes acceptable results. Personally if I had a buddy with a kiln that would dry my stuff I would be tickled with any results, but I am painfully aware of the quality of the wood I mill. I spent a lot of time planing, edging, and re-sawing afterward. But a lot of other folks think they make perfect stuff and will look for a scapegoat. Heed Southside's warning, he speaks with wisdom hard won.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline gwisejr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »
Yeah, I did think about that. I've heard suggestions to have a liability waiver signed basically saying that i'm not responsible for how the wood turns out. On the loading issue, I would probably require that they  transport it ready to be loaded into the kiln by my tractor instead of hand loading into the kiln. 

Any other things to look out for or suggestions?

thanks.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but now you are asking folks to trailer stickered lumber.  Have you seen how folks secure loads onto their trailers?  One or two tiny ratchet straps and 7,000 lbs of cargo on a 5,000 lb GVW single axle trailer, is good to go for 1,000 miles, or until the trailer tire fails from being underinflated.  Of course that is assuming the hub does not fall off first from lack of grease.  Speaking of trailers, there is the constant issue of fenders being in the way of your forks as nobody pays extra for a deck over it seems.   

Just pointing out things I see all the time, and it's not just here.  Was at the sawing event in 2019 the night before when a customer pulled in for a stack of lumber.  The wheels on the trailer were angled out at probably 20 degrees and the tire was so low on air that the rim was about on the ground.  They are everywhere.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Skidder Rental

Started by Horselog on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2016, 07:29:39 PM
by coxy
xx
Bobcat T190 rental ?????

Started by bikedude73 on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 10:31:06 AM
by acl2
xx
Skid steer and forest mulcher rental near Rhode Island?

Started by logman81 on Forestry and Logging

39 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 04:59:49 PM
by logman81
xx
Need rental or services in Los Angeles area for Oak logs 10"-24" x10'

Started by dtmpadilla on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 08:12:17 PM
by WV Sawmiller