The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Any registered dog breeders out there?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
Re: Any registered dog breeders out there?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
Also, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues. 

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup 
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of
 the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 10:59:01 AM »
Dogs know dog people, and gravitate to them.  Neighbor had a couple of dogs that at first would not come to me, over a couple of weeks they would come out and greet me on my walks.  Neighbor in the yard one day told me they don't like people, as both of them getting their ears scratched.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
I talked to a breeder thats fairly close to me about a possibility of buying a puppy from her, as she had one of the two breeds I was looking for.  She gave me the price, and then said that she would still retain all breeding rights.  Meaning I couldnt raise a litter of pups or use a male as stud an get them registered with akc.  Is this a standard practice? Tim
Might I suggest taking a look through petfinder?
Celebrating Over 20 Years of Pet Adoption | Petfinder   
They are a clearinghouse for almost all the humane society type rescue operations.  Funded by pet food companies, like Mars and others.  Anyway, a great site and you can search by breed and geography.  Perhaps there is a dog of the breed you want somewhere within a days drive?  This is how we came to adopt our latest rescue dog.

Liking Walnut

Offline Sedgehammer

• Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
We wanted an american shepard to play fetch and related with the kids. Plus they look cool. Had a blue meral female stolen. Found a toy, which we didn't really want, but wife liked as it could be a house dog. Great dog (for some reason has attached herself to me), doesn't play fetch...... ???
Once I get me entance gate doen and the rest of the fencing, will get an outside dog that can be in the yard. That dog will be the type that plays fetch and hoepfully can catch a frisby and like the water. Also thinkin of a new newfoundland for the water aspect. 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
Also, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.

X2 for me also. smiley_thumbsup
Ill disagree with that! Most problems in dogs are created by people breeding them foolishly! As for temperament. If mixed breeds have such a superior temperament why wouldnt the military just go to the pound and just randomly pick out some mixed breeds for various service work. I love all dogs mixed or specific. I think adopting and getting rescue dogs are fantastic👍👍👍. 

Offline Patrick NC

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »
We have 2 dogs that we rescued. Bocephus is an American Stratfordshire Terrier that we adopted from the pound when he was 9 weeks old and Bay is a Mountain Cur that was the runt of the litter. Cant see buying a dog when there so many in need of homes.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
Also, I'm a firm believer that a mix breed is an all around better dog.  Less joint/skin/temperament issues.

Ill disagree with that! Most problems in dogs are created by people breeding them foolishly! As for temperament. If mixed breeds have such a superior temperament why wouldnt the military just go to the pound and just randomly pick out some mixed breeds for various service work. I love all dogs mixed or specific. I think adopting and getting rescue dogs are fantastic👍👍👍.
What you just said supports my statement.  For a specific purpose, a pure bred is the ticket (guard dog, hunting dog, etc).  The problem is some breeders, and possibly a reduced gene pool in a local area, has brought out defects both physical and mental in some breeds.  Unless you really need a purebred, don't bother with them.  I see too many that have "the breed" for a status symbol, not for companionship.  For an all around (i.e. family) dog, you can't beat a mixed breed.  You just need to research what mixes have the qualities that you are looking for in your situation.  Like, don't get a cattle dog mix when living in a small apartment in the city.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
Well, in sort of a topical post, im sitting here with this guy. We have a 7am dropoff appointment at the vet for him to say goodbye to two  of his closest friends. He was a year old yesterday.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Beautiful boy

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
Our last dog, who we miss dearly, came from the wife's uncles farm. The mother was a stray that showed up and stayed and the father must have been a traveler because no one knew who the mother got bred with. Our dog Ginger who traveled to 43 states with us and never made a mess in the truck looked like a cross between a yellow lab and a ridgeback, I told people she was obviously an Egyptian because she built little pyramids in the field. Purebred American mutt! 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »
cross between a yellow lab and a ridgeback

That sounds like a good combo.  I've known a lot of yellow labs and a few ridgebacks.  They were all good dogs.
HM126

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »
Jeff,  :D   Took me minute.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »
Well, in sort of a topical post, im sitting here with this guy. We have a 7am dropoff appointment at the vet for him to say goodbye to two  of his closest friends. He was a year old yesterday.

I see I have created some confusion as to an email I got this morning causing me to come back and read any posts I had made lately.

Sawyer was neutered yesterday. Not euthanized. Although in human circles, that is sort of the same thing. :)

Sawyer is fine, doing well, and having a hard time paying attention to vets orders of "no fun stuff" for two weeks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 06:34:38 PM »
Glad you cleared that up Jeff.  I thought he was saying goodbye to you and wildflower.  I am in the running to get a terrier mix.  They have contacted one of our vets, and they will probably call the other tomorrow.  I am keeping my hopes up, just dont want to get them too high.  I told one of my vets that I think I could get on with the FBI with less investigation.  Thats a good thing though I recon.  They make sure the pups go to a good home.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 07:15:27 PM »

Pretty simple why the military doesn't.  Mixed dogs are all different.  The military is about having a repeatable process.  They looked at lots and lots of breeds and kept really good stats on what species for what purposes.  So, they have pretty much locked into a specific breed or two and that's what they use.  They have manuals and manuals and vet trainings, etc etc etc all on just a couple of very specific breeds.  So imagine what they would need to do if all there dogs were different.  In my experience the military is a terrible organization for the average joe to pay attention to, they have odd needs and often have congressional pressure they forces terrible buying decisions.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 09:25:25 PM »
Deb & I went to look at a terrier mix Saturday.  It was at a humane society.  Part AirDale & something else suppose to be about 26 lbs. at maturity.  I made the call to just be there with my mask on at 10:00 when they opened.  Drove 100 miles... got there a little after 10:00 (road work) delayed a few minutes.  They said you are supposed to have an appointment.  First available one was 1:00.  They said there were 6 people ahead of me for that dog.  Then the guy said the air dale was crossed with Irish Wolf hound.  I said forget it.  If the site had had the correct info I would not have bothered.  This is part of the reason folks just buy a registered animal.  If the adoption we are working on dont work out that is what I will probably do.  Another thing:  some of the so called rescues seem to be in it for the money.   They have connections at the humane societys and the desirable animals are picked up by them, before the general public has a chance to adopt.  Then they charge about 3 times what they gave for it.  I guess this was a rant.  I am getting to be an ole codger I guess.  Just say what I think.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
I would be hot to . Drove 100 miles and found out 6 people ahead of you 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
Hopefully you can give a home to some lucky little one

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 10:09:16 PM »
Here is the little guy we are wanting.

He is a loooong way away.Tim

Offline Nebraska

• Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 11:15:53 PM »
Well he's cute! 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »
Hopefully you can get him 👍

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Finally registered

Started by BW_Williams on Technical Support Topics

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2003, 12:52:02 PM
by Bibbyman
xx
finally registered

Started by saddletramp on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2006, 11:03:25 PM
by saddletramp