iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 151

Started by Randy1949, July 26, 2020, 07:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy1949

I am trying to find a Stihl MS 151 after seeing the MS 150 had been upgraded to the MS 151.   Have they reached the US  or the hard to find or is the virus keeping them in short supply?   I am having a hard time finding one.  I am a 70 year old man, Stihl fanatic looking for a light saw for an occasional use saw around the house trimming small tree and plant limbs. 
Randy

gspren

For occasional use doing small stuff I'd consider getting a battery saw, they've come a long way in recent years. I have 3 Stihl gas saws plus a chainsaw attachment for my Stihl Combi unit but I often grab my cordless electric saw for small jobs.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

firefighter ontheside

I see a lot of small stihl saws on facebook marketplace that appear to have little use.  I've been tempted to grab a 170 for use that you describe.  I have an 025 with 18" bar and MS291 with 20" bar.  A shorter bar would be handy as you describe.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OddInTheForrest

I have a MS151 (At home in Norway), and its a fantastic saw ! 
I think most of my cutting so far this year has been done with this saw (90days or so in the woods). 
it was costly (around 550USD) bu worth every penny.

best regards 
Odd.

SpaceBus

If you can't find a regular 150 or 151, look for a top carry version. I have a 150-TC and love it. In fact it's my go to saw for anything under 10", which is all of my firewood pretty much. My next saw up is a Husqvarna 460 that is a boat anchor. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

OddInTheForrest

Same feeling I have, 151 is turning into my go-to for most things !

Randy1949

Some say it is underpowered but I'm only looking for one for small limbs,etc.  What length of bar do you recommend?
Randy

OddInTheForrest

I run mine with the stock 12" 1/4" 1,1mm chain. Dont think I would concider changing it out. Saw has enough power for that chain, why change it if it works ;)

SpaceBus

I run the factory chain just like OddInTheForrest. It's the same chain on my kombi-system pole pruner and I have four of them total. I cut through a 10" log with it today. It took much longer than my 460, but I didn't want to take two saws out in the bush on the tractor. The tiny saw gets a serious workout with the knotty spruce and fir trees I'm cutting. Batteries would be much heavier and I would have to carry several. I can fit my 1 gal gas can, 1 gal veggie oil can, and the saw behind the seat of my tractor. Perfect for getting already felled trees out of the bush, cleaned up, and cut to length. I've even felled a few 8-10" trees with it. Even though it is slower the absolute feather weight makes it totally worth it. With the top handle the saw is super versatile and compact as well. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Randy1949

Randy

OddInTheForrest

Same I use mine for. 
Been using it for 90% of all my felling this year, doing firewood. 
Think I`ve started and used my 660 once so far this year.
Have however gotten used too using the "swedish" method of felling, known as "the safe corner" here in scandinavia. Really practical in my opinion when working with larger trees. Largest I have managed with my 151 is 19", and its been fine, just requires a different teqnicue ;)

Thank You Sponsors!