The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Raccoons  (Read 3928 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Raccoons
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
   I just heard a "Clank" a few minutes ago and went out and "processed" another coon. I had separated my traps and left one on the porch and put the other one beside Sampson's dog house/food dish under the porch. The one under the porch had an occupant. It is reset and I could have another one or two in the morning. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 07:06:40 AM »
I think that Auburn needs another mascot.  They already have three or four, so another one won't hurt......Auburn Raccoons.  Hmmm, I like the sound of that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
Danny,

Maybe I could borrow War Eagle #75 for a while to help clear them out. I'd see if UGA #83 was available but he is probably the only dog on the planet who is more worthless at coon hunting than Sampson.

My trap on the porch was sprung but no occupant this morning. The one under the porch might have smelled a little suspicious and no second catch there last night.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 09:45:34 AM »
Raccoons learn those traps pretty quick and then it gets a lot harder to catch them. Ive even had them turn the trap on the side and then go in and get the bait without fear of the trap springing. After that I put a light on top of a 22 I use just for coons. Lead poisoning never fails, but you have to administer it personally. 

Good luck.  They can be real pests. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
   Yeah, I have found enclosing the trap where they can't get to the bait from the sides or end is sometimes necessary.

I used to hunt coons with a world class 17 lb squirrel dog. I have a little Ruger 10/22 with a 2.5X scope on it I used for hunting squirrels ans rabbits. For a long time I would take the scope off for coon hunting at night. That was dumb! I finally realized how much easier it was with the scope on to see and hit that one orange eye up in the tree which was all you would often see on an a wary old coon who would sit up in the top of a tree and cover one or both eyes. 

If I can ever get Sampson to bark at them we can solve the problem quick enough. My son has a dachshund mix that has a lot of potential and pretty fearless that I might should borrow but he is a house dog and the granddaughters would fire me if I got Teddy hurt in a coon fight.
Howard Green

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
I think you said your son had some coon cuffs.  They will get the job done.  Do you need a picture of one?   Most co ops have a few.  I have caught one that had both front feet in it.  If you are going to exterminate it any way.  Thats the way to go..  imo.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »
   I think I will hold off on the cuffs a while A couple years ago I had an albino coon raised on my place. I saw him a lot that year but none last year so he may be gone but if he is still in the area and one of the thieves if I catch him I have a local zoo who wanted him. I'd rather he ran free but if he is still alive and developed bad habits I'll compromise and re-home him.
Howard Green

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 10:52:21 PM »
I remember seeing the pictures you had of it, dont blame you for trying to use the live trap. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
   Wife heard noises on the porch last night and interrupted my reading to go check. I opened the door to find two young coons about 3-4 months old running around. The first got over the rail before I could grab him but the second hid behind the dog food sack with his tail sticking out so I caught him. I assume he was looking for his deceased mother and unfortunately he found her.
Howard Green

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »
Thats to bad!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
   In my younger days I'd likely have tried to keep and tame him although he was just a little older than ideal for that. :(
Howard Green

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
When I was a kid. Some relation ran a road grader for the county and during his lunch noticed a dead mother coon on the road. And under the big cottonwoods where he parked heard the little ones up in the tree. So he went back after work and got the little orphans. I remember we bottle fed the little guys, I came home from school and they had gotten out of the box and on the kitchen counters looking at me eating shortbread cookies when I came in. They all went to some various farmers after they got a little bigger and thats what I remembered 😊

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
   My son caught 3 one night on his way back from a fishing trip. They were about one lb each. Could eat solid food but could not break skin when they'd bite you. He gave 2 away and kept one. Got a permit from DNR, we had it neutered at WVU vet program (Daughter had a friend in the program at the time) and got its shots and such. It was litter box trained and had the run of his house he shared with a roommate at college. He had a blast with that thing and it was a chick magnet which is great for a teenage male. My wife made him a harness with 2 dog collars - small one around the neck, bigger one around the hips connected with a leather or nylon piece and a D ring on it to hook a leash. Sometimes a game warden or local cop would see him walking it and check his paperwork then no issues. Of course all the young women also saw him and wanted to come pet him. They'd take him fishing and he'd try to catch the minnows in the bait bucket. They'd catch a small crappie and toss it to him and he'd run under the bow of the boat and eat it and snarl and snap. You did not mess around with him when he had food. He was never gentle about that. 

That same year we got an orphan fawn from a road killed doe and raised her on goat mil. She ran wild and would play with the wild deer then come in for her bottle or a treat. She was friends with Morris our big yellow tom cat. They were same size when we got him and Morris would lick the milk foam off her face. When the got older Morris would see Spot out int he pasture and stalk and chase her like a leopard after an antelope and it was great fun to watch them at play. 
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
    I have an escape artist on my hands! I could not sleep last night so stepped out on the porch to check my traps (I have 2 set) and found a young coon in one but he had not tripped it so I walked over and flipped the door shut. I guess the young coon thought I could not see him n there. I left him planning to relocate him this morning only when i went out to see if he had company I found he had escaped. :(

I've been finding the trap shut but empty, now I know why. I can't find anything wrong with the trap so I don't know how he is getting free but I have plans to make an old style rabbit box that I suspect will work.
Howard Green

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
Smart rascals. Wife has a humingbird feeder on top of a 6ft metal T post. Every night, a half grown coon climbs the post, tips up the feeder and drains it. Sometimes he will unscrew the base of the feeder to extract every last drop. She feeds the songbirds, humingbirds, squirrels, deer, a pair of foxes, so why not feed the coon.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline straincm

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »
I found three in my apple trees last night. By the time I got the shotgun, one had escaped. The other two, they made a nice thud sound when they hit the ground.

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 02:42:35 PM »
Well that should make you feel good

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
A raccoon really doesn't "hunt " anything .They are opportunists and eat just about anything that doesn't eat them first .
I've got three young ones I set out table scraps for .Them or a couple of stray cats .The cats just eat the meat ,the 'coons eat it all but they aren't real fond of cucumbers .You have to keep them  out of your buildings though ,they can make a mess of things if given a chance .
It's kind of a zoo here with the raccoons,a zillion squirrels,ground hogs and 3 red fox kits and the vixen .Not to mention an occasional white tail deer and several bald eagles and heaven only knows how many red tail hawks and great horned owls .Even recently saw a variety of cardinals with no crests ,male had a black head .Not certain exactly what they are .

Offline KEC

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
Al, the Cardinals with black head may be molting its' feathers.

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
i dont blame them. How about creamy cucumbers 😂

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Raccoons

Started by Autocar on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 03:43:45 PM
by Autocar
xx
Don't you just love Raccoons?

Started by Ernie on General Board

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 12:03:53 AM
by Brucer
xx
raccoons in my bird feeder!

Started by Woodhauler on General Board

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 08:11:47 AM
by MikeON
xx
will opossums and raccoons ever stop coming?

Started by Compensation on The Outdoor Board

23 Replies
Last post August 10, 2020, 03:25:32 PM
by Texas Ranger