The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Well, i went mad.  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
    • Share Post
Re: Well, i went mad.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »
I won't go hydraulic, to electric, then electric back to hydraulics. 

Hydraulic  to hydraulic is  far cleverer. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline Cruiser_79

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 04:27:16 AM »
I won't go hydraulic, to electric, then electric back to hydraulics.

Hydraulic  to hydraulic is  far cleverer.
That's certainly true! But depends on what you are going to do else with your truck. I would like to make my edger, sawmill and slabber mobile, and then it would be nice to have electric power on site. 
Do you have pictures of your palax? What diameter can you cut maximum? 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 06:36:51 AM »
I don't have a pic of it yet. It's on the trailer. In front of the house. 

Just check that.   https://www.palax.fi/sites/default/files/instruction-manual-palax-power-100-1-2017-EN.pdf

They say 40cm diameter.   Well, my sawmill will never be mobile. And adding electric gen set to the truck is too expensive. 2000 for a 540rpm second hand 50 kva gen set. Which i would have to adapt to the truck, which means, removing the multiplier, getting a ZF TO with an output flange. Finding what i need in terms of linkage. Support etc. Easier to just fit another hyd pump. If the worse comes. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline Cruiser_79

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
I don't have a pic of it yet. It's on the trailer. In front of the house.

Just check that.   https://www.palax.fi/sites/default/files/instruction-manual-palax-power-100-1-2017-EN.pdf

They say 40cm diameter.   Well, my sawmill will never be mobile. And adding electric gen set to the truck is too expensive. 2000 for a 540rpm second hand 50 kva gen set. Which i would have to adapt to the truck, which means, removing the multiplier, getting a ZF TO with an output flange. Finding what i need in terms of linkage. Support etc. Easier to just fit another hyd pump. If the worse comes.
Looks good in the brochure! I like the adjustable wedge height and the circular saw. But your processor is electric drive and you are going to convert it to hydraulic? Do you have that much discplacement and pressure on your Brimont truck? I really have no idea of the hydraulic capacity of that truck, I know the stock Unimogs don't have that much liters, about 50 liters/minute. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 05:07:29 AM »
Well, theoretically, i have 50 liters at 160 bars. Per the brimont brochure. But i'm not sure, i might have more. as it's a twin pump. Otherwise, i can always fit a hydraulic pump to the ZF gearbox. 

And about the palax, it's simple.

I have two numbers,15kw and 210 bars maximum.

15 x 600 = 9000  

9000/210 = 42.86 liter per minute.

Based on the hydraulic power formula.   https://www.berendsen.com.au/hydraulic-system-design/engineering-and-design/hydraulic-formulas/

I need to test my pressure on the brimont, and my flow.

But i think this could be doable.

Offline Cruiser_79

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 02:01:32 AM »
Well, theoretically, i have 50 liters at 160 bars. Per the brimont brochure. But i'm not sure, i might have more. as it's a twin pump. Otherwise, i can always fit a hydraulic pump to the ZF gearbox.

And about the palax, it's simple.

I have two numbers,15kw and 210 bars maximum.

15 x 600 = 9000  

9000/210 = 42.86 liter per minute.

Based on the hydraulic power formula.   https://www.berendsen.com.au/hydraulic-system-design/engineering-and-design/hydraulic-formulas/

I need to test my pressure on the brimont, and my flow.

But i think this could be doable.
The 600 is without losses, but indeed it should be doable. And probably the electric drive is a bit overkill so it won't exactly needs 15 kW. And not all the hydraulics work exactly at the same time I assume. 
Is there a oil cooler in your hydraulic circuit? 
Do you see those Brimonts more in france? I've never seen them before. There are some Bremachs around here but still very rare. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 03:20:08 AM »
Hi Cruiser. 

Well, the brimonts are rare as hen't teeth. Well, there is two like mine, and one of the newer model for sale on Leboncoin, a French equivalent of marktplaats or 2ememain.be. 

But they are old now, and rare.  It's far bigger than a Bremach. Bigger than a lot of unimogs. I don't have a cooling circuit on the hydraulics. Well, for the moment, i should make it function well. And i'll see what i can do for next year. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »
Well, all my plans were pipe dreams.

The saw is not hydraulically driven, but direct belt drive. So i need a new generator, if i want to use it off site.

Back to step one, PTO and PTO gen set  :-\   :(

Tried it last Friday, on the big generator. No prob, or nearly. We stuck the blade in a log. I think the length stop doesn't work well.  Tried it today, on the mains, 15kw for 15kw power supply. Ney working! Starts, and trips the main breaker, even with the soft starter (sikostart iirc) 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
So, my blade needs sharpening. 

The depth stop doesn't function, 

The log clamp hasn't got any strength. But i still can do my firewood. I might have half a cord, or a smidge less of already well dried logs, cut to length. Some 4" to 8" trunks which might dry fast enough. And some huge 15 to 18, some which are too big for the processor. Will cut in 1 meter, and split on the 32 tons table splitter of a friend, i think. Or chuck these on the saw, and split down the middle with it. 

Offline Cruiser_79

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 02:11:37 AM »
That looks good! Quite a nasty blade, what diameter is it? The log is transported by the belt isn't it? Does that work well or does it slip easily? 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 03:48:33 AM »
So far, it seems to function all right. It's all rubber.And doesn't slip much on  the bark anyway. But i haven't fed it long long pieces. They say 4 meters maximum. The blade is 100cm. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 05:53:22 PM »
I'm low tonight. 

The length stop doesn't work. I've known that since the first try. I have bought the machine sight unseen. On a gamble. 

Spoke with a local, ish business who used to sell those. And the workshop guy, told me to take appart the ball valve which gets touched by the saw's arm, when it gets back up. I did  clean it and repair it. Some idiot had "deactivated" the spring. By reversing the washer which actuates the rod. 

But that didn't fix the problem! :( 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 07:51:13 PM »
with your skills I am sure you will get it working, don't get discouraged.  

We had cleaned and painted our Ponsse Elephant, a few issues that require a service truck.  However in cleaning the serivce bay under the bunks we removed so much dirt and trash that a broken brace and bearing (bearing should have bolted to a brace that is welded to bunk) were free, we thought it an odd look when we were cleaning but what did we know.  Today we move it a couple of feet and here a slamming sound, the drive shaft was now free to whirl around, nothing holding it in place.  We have a welder coming in the morning and it will be ok by lunch.  Long story just to say these things happen, you'll get it fixed!
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
Im curious how they designed this thing now.  Whats the ball valve do?
Revelation 3:20

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2020, 02:39:32 AM »
Im curious how they designed this thing now.  Whats the ball valve do?
Thanks guys. 
Mike, i call that a ball valve, but what do i know. I'm an hydraulics novice. 
Basically, when the arm which bears the saw goes back up after the cut, there's another "thing" which starts the splitting. And there should be this one, which pushes the length stop back into position. I'm waiting for the hydraulic schematic. There is other things which don't work, that i don't care of.  But this one i'm fussy about. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2020, 02:41:28 AM »
The thing is visible on the video, on the first page, at around 30s. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
I dont see it. Link please.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
Here Mike

Palax Power 100s Firewood Processor cutting up logs - YouTube

At thirty seconds or thereabouts. 

I received the hydraulic manual. I wasn't touching the right valve. I'll see how it goes tonight. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
Sorry max, but all i see is a safety shield.  

Post up the schematics, pics, vids, horoscope, weather report and detailed gripe sheet when u can and lets get this thing fixed.  

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2020, 11:42:41 PM »
I dont see it. Link please.

At 0.30 you can get a quick glimpse of the log stop moving forward. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter