The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: NH 4200 Log Loader  (Read 639 times)

Offline jeepcj779

• "Watch this" - Famous last words
    • Share Post
NH 4200 Log Loader
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
Does anyone have experience with or know the specs on a NH 4200 log loader? A Google search yielded no results. Thanks.

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
Re: NH 4200 Log Loader
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »
I guess that is why they are no longer made...anyway, there is one for sale mounted on a trailer near me. Guy says it will lift 1000 lbs, 1500 lbs if you are especially skilled. I'm just trying to determine a reasonable price. Asking $6500. I still have to go look at it.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »
I don't know anything about that loader, but 1000 or 1500 lbs doesn't sound like much.  Very few good size logs will fit into that weight class.  1500 lbs starts to get you into some fair logs if they're 8 footers, I supposed.  But I would say those specs don't really sound like log loader specs.

The other side of that is that a small boom can be handy, but mainly for pretty light stuff.

More importantly, how did that barbecue work out?

Welcome back.  (I'm guessing you're back.)  Looks like we've got a little wind and rain to welcome you home.

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
I did get that BBQ, and fried chicken, hushpuppies, Brunswick stew, and some pig pickin cake. I failed to take pictures, however, so as far as anyone else knows, it didn't happen. Anyway, I checked a 9 ft, 24" yellow pine log on the saw log calculator, and it gave me 1350 lbs. Do you think that is inaccurate? I figured I can get that size log with the grapple loader and fab up a log loading arch to mount at the back of the trailer for loading bigger logs with a winch. I'm hoping I can use a hydraulic winch hooked up to the 8hp hydraulic unit on the loader. That way I can have continuous duty and no battery. Thanks for the welcome back. Still waiting on that wind and rain.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »
If anything that sounds light for a SYP log that size, but it's probably right.  For the money that does not sound like a very useful loader, I think you would be frustrated with it pretty quickly as logs will often weight more than that.  You also need to know if that's the max lift at the side of the loader or extended out.  If the former then yea, stay away.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
 To me the reach would be important. If it's got a reach of 15' and lift 1000# it could be worth the money. I bought a loader from Bailey's yrs ago that had a 9' reach an it didn't take long for me to add a section to the main boom and a section to the stick. It has a reach of 13' now and a bigger piston on the main to get it to lift 1000# at the side of the trailer and I'm still not happy with it.
Ed K

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
I would ask for a demo.  if it requires "skill" to reach the 1500 pound mark, not sure what that means in hillbilly, but prob. not going to work well.  It would work good for a firewood tree collector.  if you plan to make an arch anyway, go buy a new heavy tandem dump trailer, and put your winch and arch on it.  can just dump to unload.  put a nice sign on it to advertise, if this becomes a business.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
I mounted a standard garage truck service truck crane or welding service truck crane on my trailer.  These are the one you see mounted on flatbed 3500 pickups driving around town. I paid $2K used and it would deadlift 3500 lbs and had a hydraulic boom that would extend 15 feet.  With the crane cable I could snake logs out of the woods then boom them on the trailer. 

Just another option.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  Donít burn the cookies.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:45 AM »
Most likely the skill involved mean grab one end an pull up on front of trailer then grab the back end and lift the log into the trailer. When the log gets to the # 1k the grapple won't hold the log long enough to get it close to the trailer. Been known to run the cable from the winch to a tree an pulley and par buckle the log on at that point.
Ed K

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
 Doc henderson, skill in this case is probably exactly as Ed_k described. He has a point about not being able to hold on to a log - I mentioned a 24" 9' pine, but I don't know that the jaws would be big enough for that.
 Yellowhammer, I have been looking for one of those service cranes based on some of your previous posts. They are difficult to find not attached to a truck. The ones I have found are several thousand $. I'll keep looking.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
poulan 4200

Started by stan064 on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 01:59:50 PM
by stan064
xx
Kubota L 4200 clutch replacement

Started by Raider Bill on General Board

13 Replies
Last post November 25, 2014, 10:29:41 AM
by Raider Bill