The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Flat 16.9 x 30 Skidder/Forwarder Tire & Tube Install.  (Read 622 times)

Offline c greenham

• Share Post
Flat 16.9 x 30 Skidder/Forwarder Tire & Tube Install.
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:09:55 AM »
Good Day All,

Just wanted to share my experience on installing a tire tube in a skidder/forwarder tire, I had a flat a few weeks back I'm new to skidder operation and maintenance.  I wanted to try and fix myself, just to see if I could do it.  I will list my tire changing/repair experience in sequence (I could have brought to the tire shop but decided to try and fix myself).

1) Jack up machine block and remove the lug nuts, the tire have been on the machine for some time. I had to heat up nuts to get them to move plus had to use a 5ft piece of pipe on the power bar to get more leverage, basically had to jump on it to get the nuts to loosen.

2) Took tire to my shop, cleaned it up.

3) Used a ten pound mall and three inches pieces of two inch angle iron to break tire bead. Use lots of soap and water to help loosen the bead. 

4) Used a set of pry bars to lift tire over rim lip. I do not have the proper tire irons.

5) Removed old tire tube.

6) Place new tube on tire, inflate with air to determine which side goes down, there was a blue line on the new tube this blue line on the new tube faces down.  Its a good idea to inflate the new tube to determine which side goes down and determine if there are any holes in the new tube.  Maybe a defect in tube, good idea to check before install.

7) Lift tire up of floor blocking with six inch blocks this gives better access to tube install between tire and rim.

8 Fit tube in around rim and tire installing valve in valve hole and screw on valve retainer nut, finger tight.

9) Finishing pushing tube in around rim to ensure it is not pulled or twisted, try to install relatively evenly around tire and rim.

10) Inflate to ensure tube moves and is not pinched it will straighten out, only inflate to about 5psi.

11) Deflate air from tube, before trying to push tire back over rim lip.

12) Start on the opposite side of the rim from tire valve and work tire back over rim lip, the area of the valve should be the last area of the tire to be pushed back over the rim. Ensure if you use pry bars not to pinch the tube.

13) Inflate with air about 10 psi to let tube move in tire to remove any kinks and deflate.

14) Inflate tire as per normal to set bead, inflated this tire to 30psi.

This is the sequence which I ended up doing (after damaging two tubes), and finally getting the tire tube to hold air.  My issue was I was starting from the valve side working the tire over the rim and it ended up tearing the valve steam area of the tube.  I hope I can save someone else from making my mistake.  Mistakes are worth it if you learn from them LOL.  

If any one has anything to add to this process please do in hopes of helping out fellow loggers.

Hope you all have a good day.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Flat 16.9 x 30 Skidder/Forwarder Tire & Tube Install.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
Good job.  

I will add backhoe stabilizers and dozer blades are good bead breakers.  You can probably use the skidders blade with a block of firewood located in just the right spot to break the bead.  

I have also use the jack on my tag trailer in addition to a highlift jack to break the bead on lowboy tires.  Have changed many of those on the side of I-81. 

Vice grip on the rim to act as a helper in maintaining your start position, and lots of dish soap for walking the bead back into the rim, i squeeze it right on straight for tough tires.  Always force the sidewall down deep into the rim trough to allow enough slack so that youre bead can slide over without tearing.  Dont just get a longer cheater bar then rip the bead surface.  If you have to pile cinder blocks or something to do it alone.. Whatever.  The slack comes from squeezing the sidewall in on itself. 

Professional bead grease and levers just make it that much easier. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:07:36 AM »
 Bead grease covering the entire inside of the rim had helped me from putting tubes in more than once do to rusty rims. No way can you clean them up good enough. An don't let a service center sell you a radial tube, they don't work not for long anyway.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:48 PM »
Thanks i will be tackling a 23.1-26 in the ner future Im afraid. 

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:42:09 PM »
Where I have a loader on my landing I usually just squeeze them carefully  with the grapple to break them down then change the tube with the rim right on the skidder it has worked pretty good for me over the years
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:21:17 AM »
Breaking the bead. I have (carefully) used the grapple on my forwarder but some long seated beads will resist coming loose with the grapple or even jack or loader bucket. I bought a manual screw type bead breaker and now use that always. Always use tire bead lube generously. If you don't have any, get some.

Removing tire from rim. First determine which side of the rim has the drop center. The only reason to remove the rim from the machine is if the tire must come off on the inside. When the tire comes off on the outside of the rim, do not remove the rim from the machine and gravity will be on your side. After you break the beads on both sides, jack the tire off the ground and pry the outside bead off. Then lower the tire till it sits on the ground and slide the tire out till the other side is against the inside of the rim. Then you can do your inspection of tire, tube and rim without having to lift and block the tire.

One cold January I had a tire changed at home by a local tire man and he must have pinched the tube and though it held air for a while, as soon as I got to the job site up on the north west side of the highest hill in the area and with the temperature below zero and strong NW wind blowing, it went flat. I called a local tire service and he came out with a fancy tire truck with one of those mounted tire lift grapples and in spite of my objections he took the tire and rim off the forwarder so he could use that fancy grapple to pick up the tire and rim and flip it over to take the tire off the inside of the rim. He soon discovered the tire would not come off that side of the rim so he got to use that fancy grapple to flip the tire over and take it off the outside of the rim like I tried to tell him. 

So unless you have a tire truck with a grapple arm, always let gravity be your friend and leave the rim on the machine. And use lots of tire lube.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
I appreciate how hard all you guys work. I'm wore out just reading these posts. :P
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:09:19 AM »
I've had tractor tube trouble a few times. I call a tire service place. They show up in a beat up  ton truck, two guys that look like they have changed tire for a week without a shower, an air compressor in the back, a few hand tools and a jack and they go to work. Tire never comes off the tractor. The other ones knows what the other one wants. Each guy is busy all the time. An hour later things are being thrown back into the back of the beat up truck and off they go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 08:41:29 AM »
Professional big truck tire guys look to have a terrible life.  But MMAAANNNN are they fast. Three guys, 16 bigrig tires in like 2 hours with a line of trucks behind me.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
 I watched a guy from Mexico,from a tire co. change 2 back tires on a JD scraper in a couple hrs. He didn't even use the lift to turn them over,he wasn't tall but he sure was big :o. That was 40 yrs ago bet their glad to have all the new toys to do the work.

Offline treemuncher

• Committed vegetation terrorist since 1997
    • Share Post
    • TreeMuncher.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:16:51 AM »
I had to change a tube on my Barko 937. It has 28L-26 tires.

May I also suggest a bellows type air jack to help position the tires at the correct height. It makes fighting gravity while working alone much easier. One like this here:

I now have a couple of screw type bead breakers that work well. You need at least 2 for working big tires. The cheap ones from Ebay were good enough for me to get me through a few repairs over the next few years.

And the most important thing that I did not see mentioned was Baby Powder or basic Corn Starch Powder to act as a lubricant between the wheel and the tube, and the tire and the tube. Be very liberal with the powder and be sure to use it on dry components. It will allow the tube to slide about easier to find its best fit without sticking to any of the other components. Inflate and deflate a few cycles to let it find its happy space before final inflation.

When I was working my tire, I did cheat with the excavator some. I fashioned a J hook from an old broken bush hog blade (has smooth edges already - no tire damage) after heating it with a torch. I got the idea from watching some YouTube videos on skidder tire changes. Once the tire was broken down from the rim, I was able to insert the J hook and gently pull the tire off of the rim as I worked the tool around the bead. The bead breakers were great to help hold the tire in place when starting to put the tire back on the rim. That requires the long tire irons, patience and care.

I do NOT recommend doing this stuff in August in the South. *DanG it can get you hot.
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Skidder tire Flat?

Started by groundguy on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post January 02, 2010, 01:32:10 PM
by timberjack240
xx
flat tire and tire pressure for jd 440

Started by Frozendozer on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 08:02:20 AM
by Grandpa