The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Cost of plywood jumped up  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
Re: Cost of plywood jumped up
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 08:09:29 AM »
If you are doing a staycation instead of a cruise, why not build a deck. I think a significant urban migration  will happen, driving up rural realestate prices and increasing demand on remodel materials.  I think the work from home model (my oldest son loves it) will downsize a bunch of commercial realestate/office buildings. No two hour commute twice a day, look at what you can do with that  new 4 hours..... (New she shed).....  Maybe this increase in raw material  prices will trim some of the oversized Mc mansion suburban sprawl, or will it escalate....?  Thanks for posting the article  Old Greenhorn.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
 This morning's price on the N.Y. merc exchange was $781.60 for 1k of SPF. This is the highest I've ever seen.
Ed K

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
We started a house build on April fools day... shoulda known better.  It is in the process of getting dried in as sheeting the roof just started.  We did a fixed cost contract but it does have a clause that an increase in prices of material over a certain percentage can cause a change.  So I wonder if the builder will need to exercise that clause.  

The other thing I noticed in the article spoke to the framing lumber for builder market being a bit different quality than say that to box stores.  I have noticed how poor some of the studs are on interior wall framing in the basement walls.  

OGH, thanks for that posting good info to explain the whys.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
The other thing I noticed in the article spoke to the framing lumber for builder market being a bit different quality than say that to box stores.  I have noticed how poor some of the studs are on interior wall framing in the basement walls.  

Given the poor quality of lumber I see at the box stores, this is really scary.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »
Ive seen completely powder rotted lumber on the shelf several times.  But hey as long as its stamped for grade, right?  

I could build a bunker with my chainsaw mill if not for the code man. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 08:24:04 PM »
I've already told the supplier on our project that any inferior lumber will be returned on their trucks. 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
Everyone that owns a hammer is a carpenter, everyone that has picked up a stick is a lumber grader :D

The difference is appearance rather than structural in those two markets. Harry Homeowner, well, and most contractors don't really understand the structural requirements of say a stud. If you stand in a big box and watch people sifting through the piles and watch what they take and what they reject it is very often hilarious to watch. The suits in those stores realized this because they were left with piles of "reject" lumber to unload. So they came up with another grade called "Prime". It isn't really a grade, it is a set of appearance criteria within a grade, and they charge for it. On the grading line the number 2's will be further sorted and the pretty stuff will get a #2 Prime stamp and go to Lowes and the straight #2 which is now uglier because of that sort will go to 84 lumber etc. If you sit there and roll through both stacks they are both #2, one is prettier. If you really want better lumber buy #1 or Select Structural, a true #2 is not a pretty piece of lumber. A stud, well, that's a #3 with #1 edge restrictions... gotta be able to stick drywall on the edges but strengthwise its just a column.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
When I run low on bunks, I'll often go buy 2x3's at the box store and screw two 4'ers together.  Last winter I was buying them for $1.77 ea at Menards.  Went to Lowes yesterday to get some and they were $2.93.  That's a 65% increase!!!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline RussMaGuss

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
I was thinking of adding a 2nd floor to my garage and shed, but with all this going on I think I'll wait.. Price of a 2x4x8 is almost $5 by me now!! Maybe I'll add the loft to my shed for now and do the garage in the new year when the dust settles

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:09 PM »
I just looked online at my Home Depot.  A 8' 2 X 6 is now selling for $2.32/bf including taxes. 

A few years ago departed member Kansas (RIP) ran a mill with several full time employees.  One of their big sellers was cottonwood construction lumber.  At the time DF lumber from the big yards was .60 cents/bf, yet they made money.

Cottonwood logs still cheap....I think money can be made....sounds way too much like work for me.  Cottonwood is heavy.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »
 1k bf of spf on the market yesterday was $841.60 it still going up.
Ed K

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
One of their big sellers was cottonwood construction lumber.  At the time DF lumber from the big yards was .60 cents/bf, yet they made money.

Cottonwood logs still cheap....I think money can be made....sounds way too much like work for me.  Cottonwood is heavy.
That's what I use it for here. Unfortunately it's not easy to come by good logs that haven't already been pushed in a pile and burned. I am very happy to have about 1 MBF of Cottonwood 2x lumber on sticks and as well as a couple thousand feet of select structural 2x8 and 2x10 I got super cheap at an auction a couple years ago. Of course by the time I get to the projects that wood is intended for prices will probably be back to normal....
Our local lumber yard is out of OSB and doesn't know when they'll get more. Their supplier of OSB just signed a contract to supply exclusively to Menards (midwest based big box store) so they're suddenly left without a supplier. One of their sister stores bought a few loads from Menards and then marked them up and sold them but Menards won't sell to them anymore. They're understandably a bit worried.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 07:20:56 AM »
i was told yesterday by a mill owner so he knows. one of the larger stud mills was getting as much as 1300 m for spruce lumber. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 01:00:42 PM »
Well, they aren't paying any premium at the mill gate for logs. This is today's prices at all their mills. We also have a competition law here that keeps an eye on wild west style price fixing.

https://irvingwoodlands.com/jdi-woodlands-wood-producers-wood-prices.aspx

Back in the day when Juniper lumber was still around (before the market collapse) , they paid $460/th delivered for logs. Stumpage was as high as $2000/acre. No prices anywhere near that yet. Ivings mill was 10 miles away in Deersdale, they never got much private wood.
Move'n on.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2020, 05:20:50 AM »
Related to all this, two more articles form the working forest news regarding the duty dispute on softwoods:
First the article on the WTO finding for Canada.
And second, The US response to the ruling.

Looks like it will get argued for a good while longer. On  personal note, my SIL is working on some porch repairs for us and he went and got a sheet of T-111 yesterday (which was not cheap, BTW). He said they had many skids of the stuff, but NO plywood at all. cleaned out. I think much of it could have been re-routed to southern states in response to the hurricane, but I know the market is just nuts right now.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:54 AM »
You think plywood is high now, let a cat 4 storm hit one of the gulf states.   Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »
Our local lumber yard is out of OSB and doesn't know when they'll get more. Their supplier of OSB just signed a contract to supply exclusively to Menards (midwest based big box store) so they're suddenly left without a supplier. One of their sister stores bought a few loads from Menards and then marked them up and sold them but Menards won't sell to them anymore.
Selling OSB at retailers other than the original big box store buyer is a no-no. The OSB mill will mark the ends of each bunk (stack) of sheets with a pattern of stripes, these designate that the plywood can only be sold by that particular big box store chain. (HD, Lowes, etc. will each get a different pattern). That way if someone buys it from one big box chain, they can't try to return it to a competitor. Often the loads will not even got through a distribution center, but go direct from the mill to the store. I know from hauling them in the past, and purchasing sheets that so fresh they were still warm to the touch and the paint on the edges was tacky. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
16' 2"x4" SPF is $11 a piece at Homedepot.ca It's by CANFOR.

A 16' 2"x6" is $17. So a little over a buck a foot CDN$.

Their 3/4" maple plywood is $75.50.
Move'n on.

Online tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2020, 06:53:07 PM »
Had a partial truck load of Baltic birch and apple ply delivered today. 165$ for 1 inch material, 4X8 sheets.Very expensive.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 04:24:39 AM »
Even 3/4" Russian birch is expensive, and selling in quarter sized sheets at $38 CDN. DOH!!! The last time I bought some birch was over 10 years ago and when I sawed it I could tell that the middle layers was all aspen, the smell of aspirin. That's was too much back then at $75 a sheet. They use aspen here to make berry boxes, the least expensive wood on the continent and all kinds of it. We have lots of birch, just not a lot of veneer size and nowhere near as abundant as maple wood. Maple grows like weeds up here. Not fast growing by any means, but you don't have to search for it, it's right there in your face. :D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The real cost of bands? Swing mill have lower cost?

Started by Doug_D on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
by ARKANSAWYER
xx
A LT-15 jumped in the truck!

Started by Crazy Rusyn on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 06:23:34 AM
by Don K
xx
Finally jumped in, head first !!

Started by SawDust_Studios on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2006, 08:09:46 AM
by SawDust_Studios
xx
I am A newbe that has jumped in with both feet.

Started by Mt406 on General Board

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
by drobertson