iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Alternator

Started by barbender, August 09, 2020, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm on my way to investigate this, but I figured I'd seek some for some tips here while I do so. I have a 97 LT40 Super, Diesel if it matters. I'm pretty sure my alternator just gave up the ghost, and I'm pretty sure it's an off the shelf Delco unit. I would just order it from WM but their parts have been slow the last few times I've ordered, and I kinda need it now. I know I've seen some of you in the same predicament before, did you find one at the auto parts store?
Too many irons in the fire

KenMac

I don't own a Wood Mizer, but if you take it to a reputable parts store, they can tell you all about it and should be able to provide a replacement that is acceptable.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Tom King

There are Lot fewer models of alternators (and starters) than there are makes, models, and sizes of motors they go on.

Magicman

I have gone the "other" route before when in a pinch, but I don't recommend it.  I would order the correct alternator from Wood-Mizer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Agree, Give them a call tomorrow see when they can send it. Not everything is delayed. If it is, maybe they can tell you an equivalent. Although I think you'll find that there's no generic  swap.

If you know a good motor repair shop those places can be good and pretty fast.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

10Si and 12Si are your most common GM alternators.  

Before you buy anything have you verified with key on engine off that you have 12v going in to the field wire on the regulator or case lug?  If theres a charge light in that circuit the bulb MUST work as it is in series.  No bulb, no field excitation voltage.  

If you have 12v to the field then youll feel magnetism around the case when its running.  
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

My LT70 had 2 alternators. A small one on the Yanmar engine and a high output that Wood-Mizer put on. I fried a bunch over the years and tried to keep a rebuilt one on hand because a bunch of guys doing busy work gets expensive. I have found replacements at the parts house and also had them rebuilt while I waited. The factory units seemed to hold up longer and yes they were quite a bit higher in cost. I am thinking the larger high output from WM was close to $500 for that mill a few years back.

Magicman

I had my original 15 year old alternator rebuilt which did not last, but this new replacement 140 amp alternator is over 4 years old and is going strong.  It cost $188.38.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Well, what I learned is that my alternator is an AC Delco CS130D, 105 amp. Now, I can't guarantee that the internals are the same, but my mill is currently working great. However, my 01 Chevy Duramax isn't going anywhere until I get done sawing😁 Same alternator😊

terrifictimbersllc

Same price now, or $30 less without the pulley on it. From the WM parts finder for 2001 lt40 super Kubota 42hp just now.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Mostly what I was looking for was something I could get at a parts store, today, as I had an order I needed to fill. The solution ended up being 20' from my mill 😊

The main drawback here is I have to put it back on my truck before I can go to work in the morning😂

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

terrifictimbersllc

Hope it works. It's a 140A alternator on your mill, hydraulics run  100A or more out of your battery when  active. And starting the diesel too.

barbender

Thanks 47, sometimes you make do or do without, right?😁
Terrific, it's 105 amp stamped right on the alternator. WM parts page says 140 amp upgrade available.

terrifictimbersllc

Magicman

Major changes/upgrades were made to the LT40's in 1997.  The "Super" has 2 hydraulic pumps and I would not replace with anything other than the 140 amp.

mike_belben

I can plow a field all day long i can catch catfish from dusk til dawn..
Praise The Lord

Tom King

Quote from: barbender on August 09, 2020, 06:42:04 PM
Well, what I learned is that my alternator is an AC Delco CS130D, 105 amp. Now, I can't guarantee that the internals are the same, but my mill is currently working great. However, my 01 Chevy Duramax isn't going anywhere until I get done sawing😁 Same alternator😊
That's what I was talking about.  There aren't that many different alternators.
I'm also driving an '01 Duramax, that I bought new in Nov. '00.  The first alternator lasted 115,000 miles.  The NAPA replacement, that I picked up on my way home, without turning the motor off, the day the gauge said it had quit charging, has 241,000 miles on it, and I forget how many years.
When you have to get another one for the truck, check the pulley diameter.  There are three different pulley sizes for those trucks, and either 105, or 140 amps.  Some of them had two 105's in them.  If yours has one alternator, like mine, you'll see the mount for the second one on the other side.

barbender

Terrific, no need to apologize- I suspect your several year newer mill was supplied with the 140 amp upgrade.

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on August 09, 2020, 03:35:22 PM
I have gone the "other" route before when in a pinch, but I don't recommend it.  I would order the correct alternator from Wood-Mizer.
Does WoodMizer make these?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

No, Wood-Mizer buys alternators that meet their specifications.

barbender, my sawmill is a 1998 and came with the 140 amp alternator.  As I said previously, 1997 was a sorta mid-year thing and many changes/upgrades were made that year.   

barbender

Yep, Magic- my mill is the newer style frame, same as yours with the 2 plane clamp. Still has the older Mk 1 debarker. I don't know what other mix of new and old is on there, I guess I can add 105 amp alternator to the list😊

Nomad

I'm late to this party, but just changed the alternator on my LT50 a couple of days ago.  It's a stock GM 140 amp alternator.  My regular vehicle mechanic got it from a local auto parts store.  (I used him 'cuz I got it for his price.)  Exact same as the one from WM.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

barbender

I ended up getting one from my local Carquest. It's their store brand, new manufacture 140 amp and lifetime warranty. I would've just ordered it from WM but I was in a pinch and needed it now. One problem I'm running into, is that the 140 amp puts enough of a load on the engine at idle that it slows it to the point that the alternator output is dropping I think (my hydraulics slow down). I'm going to try bumping my low idle up 100 rpm or so and see how that does. 

Magicman

My idle speed is ~1500 so the alternator is putting out over 14 at all times.

This is wired directly to the battery so I always know what the voltage is.  This 12.6 picture was taken after I installed it and without the engine running.

Thank You Sponsors!