The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: saw mill barn rafters are on!  (Read 2747 times)

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
saw mill barn rafters are on!
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:36:31 PM »
put in a good 11 hours today but was able to get the rafters up and purlings with the help of a few guys

!!!  hopefully next Sunday the steel will be going up.  can't wait to just be able to mill again.. the barn is 28x48 with a 20' opening in the center for log loading and a 12' wide door on the gable end to get other equipment in in out. 

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: saw mill barn rafters are on!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »
Nice.  

When that steel goes on the roof you'll be dry.  Steel on the walls too?  Or B&B?

That will be a real comfortable and useful structure.  Nice place to saw.  You can start sawing out stuff for your next pole building.   :D :D
HM126

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
Looks good!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
Awsome
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline A-z farmer

• Still learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »
Very nice sawmill building 

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 09:50:01 PM »
Thanks! I'm doing black roof steel and 3 feet on the bottom as well. The rest will either be board and batt or lap siding. 

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
That shed is heaven sent. What i been trying to have my entire life. 
Revelation 3:20

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
That shed is heaven sent. What i been trying to have my entire life.
Thanks Mike.  I've been lucky and have had alot of good opportunity to make enough money to be able to cover the materials for projects like this.  I enjoy building and making things most of the time as well.  its not perfect by any means but I feel good about all the materials coming right off my property and being milled by me.  the only thing I purchased for material was the LVL beams for the 20' opening and the steel.  I will update post again once I get the steel on the roof. 

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »
Most if the steel is up!! A few more hours this week and it will be good to go! 

Offline stanwelch

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 04:28:10 AM »
Very nice building!  Do you have electric source close?  Being able to saw out of the weather and sun heat is a blessing. Good job
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Nice. Will it get a floor?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
picking up the 500' of 350 URD wire today for 200 amp service along with meter pan disconnect combo and all conduit and stuff.  I had the pole set with electric company and transformer installed on it back in January..  should have power in a few weeks.  for now the barn will have a gravel /bank run floor and the rest of the driveway and area in front of the building will as well.  once you put in concrete they really hammer you on taxes!!  my current home also has a pole barn similar to this that I build back in 2016 and they raised my assessment by 45K which jacked up my taxes by 1500 per year..  after calling and complaining the assessor said " well you have a concrete floor right?" and I said no... which he came out to verify and then lowered my assessment by 25,000 dollars. 

so ya.. for now and until after I build a home on this land in the next few years I will not do concrete.  I will just use the tarp trick when I start milling in the building that i've seen on here or youtube.  then once I'm done milling for a day or 2 I will drag out the tarp that the sawdust sets on and dump it. 

Offline boonesyard

• I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »
picking up the 500' of 350 URD wire today for 200 amp service along with meter pan disconnect combo and all conduit and stuff.  I had the pole set with electric company and transformer installed on it back in January..  should have power in a few weeks.  for now the barn will have a gravel /bank run floor and the rest of the driveway and area in front of the building will as well.  once you put in concrete they really hammer you on taxes!!  my current home also has a pole barn similar to this that I build back in 2016 and they raised my assessment by 45K which jacked up my taxes by 1500 per year..  after calling and complaining the assessor said " well you have a concrete floor right?" and I said no... which he came out to verify and then lowered my assessment by 25,000 dollars.  

so ya.. for now and until after I build a home on this land in the next few years I will not do concrete.  I will just use the tarp trick when I start milling in the building that i've seen on here or youtube.  then once I'm done milling for a day or 2 I will drag out the tarp that the sawdust sets on and dump it.
Excellent job, great looking building. We're finally going to be able to start ours in Sept. as well. I'm going with packed class 5 as well, and haven't had any issue cleaning up our sawdust right off the class 5. I tried the tarp thing a couple times and got tired of that real fast. We've been cutting and cleaning up for a couple years on the packed gravel, works pretty well. 
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln
JD 4520 w/FEL
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
very nice work.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »
thanks gentlemen!  finished the roof, rake edge and ridge vent tonight!  now I gotta finish a few mill jobs this week and then onto the black wainscot for the bottom of the building and the electric install from the road.  gonna be a busy few weeks but I will be very happy in a month or 2 being all dried in milling when its raining!!!  :) like I said, its not perfect but for only needing to purchase the LVL and steel I am super happy with my own milled lumber off the property.  it feels good!!!!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
Whoa. You need some low rafter ties down close to wall plate level before snow load piles up on that. There isn't enough to keep it from toggling and spreading as it sits.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »
Whoa. You need some low rafter ties down close to wall plate level before snow load piles up on that. There isn't enough to keep it from toggling and spreading as it sits.
what do you mean Don?  what is a low rafter tie?  I still need to install the wind gurters at my 6x6's and put in the 2x6 braces in between the double top plates that will be fastened to the ends of the rafters.  i'm also gonna take some 2x6x16s and run them on angles from the exterior wall across multiple rafters in a zig zag pattern. (not sure if i'm explaining that right. ) 

Offline 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »
I would guess he means another "collar tie" similar to what you have now at about the upper third of your rafter "run" and they look to be about 12' long. I noticed that myself but your peak is tied also. Metal sheds snow well and while I'm no engineer, I think you'll be good. Besides another lower tie will be a long son of a gun. An alternate solution would be to run a cable from beam to beam at corresponding posts if that works out. Your "zig zag" I guess will be on the bottom of your rafters right? Just remember that you love triangles, buildings do for stiffness (racking).
Very nice building, I just got my first mill a few weeks ago myself and am thinking about how to lay it out. I'd love to have access from both sides (I think ;D).
I'd think about sawing out enough 1x to put on your bottom wall girts under your metal. With machines, logs, slabwood fllying around, and snow coming off the roof, and the resulting snow removal, you'll thank me later. That also provides a nice change in the "plane" of the wall and an opportunity to have a nice flashing transition to your b&b above.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 08:03:14 PM »
Collar ties are in the upper third of the rafter and prevent uplift of the rafters.  Rafter ties are in the lower third (many times at the top plate) and prevent spread.  (Just standing in for DonP on an easy question.  Thanks for all the knowledge you share DonP.)
HM126

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 08:42:00 PM »
Glad y'all did, I'm running long the past few days. If you do get a heavy dump on the roof those high ties and the connections are going to be under tremendous tension, carpenters call it thrust because the rafters want to push out the walls.

I'll work an example on this calc to show the difference in tension;
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/raisedtiethrust.htm
Assume a 24' wide building with a 4/12 roof pitch
The single rafter span is 144"
If the rafters are all tied, so ties on 2' centers and you have a 30 lb snow load the load on the rafter is 720 lbs
at a 4/12 pitch the ridge is 48" above the plate
Assume the tie is at the plate so 48" from ridge to tie.
The tension is 1080 lbs

Now assume the tie is 12" below the ridge and run the calc again, the tie tension then is 4320 lbs. It is also putting that bending strain into the rafters at that point, a high tie is also called a "rafter buster".

Hopefully not being a party pooper but sure don't want to see that nice roof on your mill after a blizzard. As I drive around after big storms I'll usually see a few roofs that have "snapped thru".
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Red Barn, White Barn, Brown Barn, Blue?

Started by kwendt on General Board

56 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 03:50:59 PM
by Don_Papenburg
xx
need a canoe to get to the mill / barn

Started by Po-Jo on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:14:07 AM
by bandmiller2
xx
Need help re: barn doors (mill shed)

Started by roger 4400 on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 07:51:58 PM
by Tom King
xx
Choosing mill to resaw barn beams...suggestions?

Started by Rooster on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 07:57:15 AM
by bandmiller2