The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: The vent about your customers thread  (Read 3259 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
The vent about your customers thread
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
I got a call from a neighbor 1 to call neighbor 2 yesterday. Passed #2s house on the way home. He was on his way out but said he had a tractor hydraulic job he was too busy for and wanted to pass off on me.  Call him today for the details.. Tractor belongs to another neighbor i know. Number 3 who i like.  #2 wants me to swap out a hydraulic main pump in a grown up field, that he describes as very tucked up underneath and hard to get at.

Okay.. I know the tractor.  Whats it doin wrong.

Well the batwing mower wont fold and the loader will barely raise.

Whats the system pressure?

I dont need to check, i know its the pump.  

How?

Because i know who owned it before.  That machine's been abused to death, run dry etc. I know its the pump. You can just feel it and hear it whining when you move the valve.  

Have you checked the relief valve to see if its stuck open or have a bad O-ring, broken spring?

No i dont need to check that, its the pump.  

Well do you want me to deal with him or deal with you?

No you dont need to call him, you can just change it for me.  

Uhh.. Okay.  I dont mean to hurt your feelings but thats not enough proof for me to change a pump.  Who pays me if the pump doesnt fix it?

Well thats fine.  I will just tell him he will have to wait for me or find someone else entirely.

This is the same friend that tried to get me to pay him $400 for the referral of a "logging job" that turned out to be a dozen huge oaks leaning completely over a house and powerline.  Where i was supposed to cut and haul the logs then pay the landowner on shares and then pay him out of my cut.  

Im just venting, but man.  Some people. I thinks its better to just stay home doin dishes and laundry than deal with a lot of em.

Revelation 3:20

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Youre doin it wrong.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »
Very well said. I like the logging job also. If it wasn't roadside monsters it would be brush or 20" walnuts measured circumference. The last 2 worn out hyd. pumps I saw had plugged screens. Don't forget to kick back $ to all you friends.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »
Yeah when i saw the tree job i realized they took me for a fool.  First in line for the risk, last in line for pay.  boys where do i sign up?

I told him this was a $10k tree removal job requiring a crane and power company disconnect/rollup.  Go buy some spurs and try it yourself if you think its such a slam dunk job.  Theyre probably full of metal anyhow. 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »
its funny how everyone thinks they are doing you a favor.

I had a guy tell me about this huge pine tree that came down in a storm, asked if I wanted it. He held his arms in a circle to show me how big it was.

I got there and it uprooted, leaning against another bunch of trees, in a swampy area. Oh yea, he also didn't notice the cable that had been on top of the roots when it uprooted and is now exposed.

I got there to find the tree was about 7" diameter and all the hazards above. I walked away. then he took it down and I just picked up the log. Wasn't even worth keeping the log but I already told him I would.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:49 PM »
Got an email today from a guy near me asking me if I was interested in some trees on some land that he had just bought.  I asked him if he wanted to sell the trees, give them away, what?

"Oh, I don't want any money for the trees, I just want you to take them down and remove them and remove the stumps on .6 acres that I need cleared in return for you getting the wood."

I guess that I am doing it wrong for not jumping on that :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
Thats called doin 3 jobs for the pay of none.

I am glad the tractor pump discussion went the way it did.  Today was beautiful,  Kids finally in school.  I caught up on dishes, garden, compost, made pickles, worked on taxes, moved some junk around and got the mason body propped up on my old ford.  

The bummer of it is only then did i realize the hoist i have is from some other truck.  I think the right one is up in mass still.  Called it quits early, made a real dinner, sent the wife off to work with food and put the kids to bed early.  

You know id be just getting home covered in ticks and with some new disaster on my hands if i said yes.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 02:03:43 AM »
Mike I admire your outlook on life, dont let it get to you sometimes 😆 

The last couple years have been a hard lesson about cutting wood, I walk ALOT of wood, some I buy, some I just get back in the truck. Walked one a couple weeks ago, neighbors had been hammered, the people where nice but no clue, I was as honest as I could be, typical hardwood and hemlock, I offered them 1/3 more than I should because I've got a home for the firewood just down the road, looked at me in disgust like i wasn't willing to pay gold weight for their hemlock pulp 😆 

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 06:07:04 AM »
I'm 73 and still doing carpentry work, been at it for close to 50 years. I'm still getting phone calls for work but am very selective about what I will do.
The word ''NO'' comes up a lot. I find it very handy.
My wife likes it that way too. I don't come home cranky,plus I have more time to cook ,clean house and do the dishes.
I ain't sayin' I look good in a skirt, but I'm not afraid of housework.
Good on you , Mike
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 07:31:00 AM »
Sounds like the hydro pump neighbor didn't want your expertise, just a wrench turner. Too bad really because you obviously have a highly detailed knowledge of hydraulics. Like moodnacreek said probably a plugged up screen.

Just to share in the fun, I did a lot clearing job for someone, got paid by the hr for running equipment and also kept all wood (good wood). It was profitable for me and both sides were very happy in the end. Then they said I should call/stop by their neighbor because they wanted a bunch of nice pine taken down.

The pines were in between/over the power lines and the house and the wind couldn't think of blowing without them flopping into both. They were 6" dbh, full of nails and the lady wanted me to do the job for free-- "You get to keep all that nice wood!"

I took a hard pass and nothing happened with those trees for months. Then someone with a minivan and a chainsaw showed up, cut the two of them that were between the power lines and the road instead of the lines and the house, and let them lay there. Again nothing for months. Finally went by almost a year after the initial call and a local tree service was there with a bucket truck writing her the big bill she deserved 8)

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »
Mike B. Whose children are those in my yard?   Oh sorry, that ford truck is not mine either. it's to new.                                                  I always enjoy your posts.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
Well not to brag but i do have a pretty nice figure.  Not all skirts are flattering on me though, some give me muffin top and a beer gut.  I made some kinda leftover bacon sausage squash onion chard spaghetti sauce and provolone hodge podge last night.  Wasnt bad.  

Those brats are mine.  The boy is getting real tough to handle, im worried about it.  That flat spot is thankfully mine too.  When i moved here nothing was flat.  I cherish that flat spot.  Weve lost track but im gonna say its 220-240 triaxles of fill, demo, concrete, rebar..  Ive burned 2 houses in the back yard that came by dumptruck. Atleast 20 loads of gasifier char and wood chip that i composted and pushed out where the fruit trees should go eventually.  Being home to receive and push out free dirt has been my identity for a long time. Brough half an acre up about 9 feet.  The kids treehouse has become a deck with a basement!

I hope to setup a small specialty concentration yard here in the future, start buying semi loads of stave.  I think me and wyatt are gonna take a hard look at it maybe this fall.  Ive got the loader and ive had the bigrig in here plenty of times.  The wood is getting cut all around me and hauled a good ways off.  

Talked to one cutter working on my deceased friends 1600 acre tract.  He pays 50/50 shares on hardwood and 5% on pulp.  And boy he hauls a lot of pulp.  Shes given away half a forest.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
Mike, not many flat spots here either, had to make the one for the mill. Sawdust,slabs and rocks, sinks all the time, just add more.  I know it's non of my business but that boy should have more common sense that the average adult in today's times so keep up the good work.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
These posts are precisely why I am getting out of business,albeit on a much smaller scale than you fellows. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »
So WDH, you are gonna fell, buck, clean up then mill for his valuable timber and you didn't bite? Geesh!! :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:10 PM »
 Anymore if there isnt 8 to 10 loads on a job I charge plus keep the wood its too much riggin to move for small jobs without getting paid on top. Many people dont understand tho they figure just cause we can pay good money for wood on a regular woodlot and then wonder why there 5 pine trees on there lawn arent worth the going stumpage rate... Ive gotten to the point if theres not money in it I dont do it Im done with the break even/go behind jobs. Not to say I wont do a favor for a friend or family tho just not for the general public
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 09:56:43 PM »
Well, i got the call today on the tractor.  Its my job to diagnose tomorrow.  Hopefully good weather and i dont make a fool of myself.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
Suppose they checked to see if there is any hyd oil in the tractor?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »
So WDH, you are gonna fell, buck, clean up then mill for his valuable timber and you didn't bite? Geesh!! :D
While back a fellow had a bunch of yard trees blow over.  Lets them sit a few months, then says he wants them hauled to the mill on 50/50 shares.  Well i was home with the kids from school closing over covid and it was a job i could bring them on, easy one for me.  Any money better than no money when the cupboards get bare.  
Yeah sure ill start tomorrow.
Oh no its gonna take a while, ive gotta cut em all first.  
Nah dont worry about thatyou dont need to do a thing, ill bring the bobcat and saws and get them all on the trailer tomorrow. 
No i dont wanna do it that way.  Im just gonna cut em all to 14 feet and pile em right here.  Probably take a few weeks. 
Uhh.. Well by then white oak will lose grade from the blue ring.. And theyre only gonna pay for 13 feet if u dont leave on trim.  besides they need to be cut for best grade at all different lengths to make any money.
Oh well theres not gonna be much money in this.  
Yeah...   (In my head thinking 'youre making dang sure of that.')  
...think i'll pass. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »
Suppose they checked to see if there is any hyd oil in the tractor?
Fixn to find out soon

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »
Ive gotten to the point if theres not money in it I dont do it Im done with the break even/go behind jobs.
My father stopped up to my clearcut job, I've got a brush pile that's pushing 20' high, 50' wide and will be 200'+ long, first good snow I'm throwing a match on it. Sit in the stroker and shovel it as high as I can, piles of 4-5" straight pole wood, "we have to save that", I'm like have at it, for yrs I've offered wood to people off the landing, block piles, last job I about begged people for 1 month to come get it, finally took the 850B and pushed it over the bank. I'm done with the small jobs, let someone else over pay and get nickel + dimed to death by the landowners. Yrs ago I avoided bid jobs, foresters, now it's the only way to go, I pay LESS for wood, 1/2 the headaches and if the landowner gets funny I tell him to call the forester.
I'm getting more and more of these jobs that got highgraded 30yrs ago, everything is beat, scarred, I've got a 246 acre job to walk this weekend, as much as these guys love that CTL these landowners want a clean swept woodlot. These private jobs that have been hammered 1x I dont even hide it, I'm going to go in and basically level what's not going to be good. 
I need to come see your chipper, I'm at the point of having to buy a bigger one. After another 648 / newer stroker 😆

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need to Vent

Started by Woodboogah on Forestry and Logging

32 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 11:31:14 AM
by Mbunten
xx
stihl oil vent

Started by terizea on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 07:30:30 PM
by Texas-Jim