The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Log prices  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
Log prices
« on: August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
Are you guys seeing any changes or heard anything? Just curious. 

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Log prices
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
Not in the loop at the moment, but Log Street Journal posted on FB that prices were soaring due to renovation demand. I don't know the validity of that. I may be cutting some nice hardwood this fall if the prices are decent. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
Only good logs info but here it is: RO has popped back up with the exporters% $800 for 2-3 side clear stuff and 1500 for good butts.  Hickory doing ok, WO still strong.  Canadian mills desperate for wood, they'll truck many times- for you guys in MI I bet that's not a terrible option.  All in all yes.  Not sure what Sugar Maple is doing right now, maybe @ehp could chime in.  

Liking Walnut

Offline quilbilly

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
Pnw softwood markets are hot. Hardwood not so much 
a man is strongest on his knees

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
If it's going to get good again October should be the month.  Got a load of r.oak/ash baking here and 'my' buyer won't come for less than a truck and pup.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:39:47 PM »
I can definitively tell you after thursday, hope to ship 3 triaxle load of decent wood. Buyer has told me to stay out of the good wood, real nice maple, after Halloween it's supposed to really come back. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 04:55:00 AM »
Interesting. Seems you here good and bad. Thatís what Iím Iím told here lol  ďWe canít pay a lot but we need it bad when can we get itĒ 

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »
Southern Pine log prices are not increasing.  Plenty of supply.  Lumber market is hot, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 06:36:26 AM »
So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 07:05:54 AM »
So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
I think a lot of that is going on now. Iím seeing a little more iron for sale too. Everyone is working so I think itís just spare machines they want to get sold before the buyers are broke. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 07:12:39 AM »
With money dilution coming on strong in the coming years theyre gonna see their old iron prices double and wish they kept em to sell at the new price.  Same as everyone on earth said about their chevelle or dart or skylark etc etc.   Im not saying an old skidder is worth more but rather the future dollars are worth less.

Id speculate thats whats happening to housing prices.  Despite a very shaky boom bust economy and overall destabilizing national conditions, real estate is skyrocketing.  Im pretty comfident thats being lead by genuine wealth simply buying houses as a hedge against the printing press. Id snatch all the land i could right now.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »
With money dilution....

future dollars are worth less.

Yesterday Deb and I went by a little hole in the wall burger joint that I use to go when I was a kid with my dad.  Burgers then were 10 cents now they are $1.00.  And not quite as good.  Dad bought a New Plymouth for $3000.00.  Now you can get something similar for $30,000.  Probably not as sturdy.  Burgers and cars have went up 10 times.  Minimum wage when I was in school was $1.65.  What is it now?  I donít know.  But if you want any decent help you will pay them 10 times that amount.  That Trent will likely continue.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 08:34:55 AM »
That is the real "inflation" measure.   Which is intentional disinformation itself.  "2 ways to conquer: By the sword or by debt."  Inflation is when more existing dollars of a hard backed currency at a fixed exchange rate are suddenly conjured into an area by an increase in genuine enterprise..and the sudden rush of cash is competing for the same, slow to increase volume of goods and services.  Vendors raise their price in order to modulate demand down to what is manageable for them to produce.  They can only turn out so many widgits once you hit 3 shifts.

You cannot have inflation with a fiat currency by printing and injecting more of it by central banks and direct mailed govt "stimulus."  That is dilution.  The treasury/fed just wont admit it.

BK & Ford didnt water down the whopper or the F350.  The fed watered down the paper we buy them with and weve all become slaves to printing press dilution that really got rolling under 2big2fail and hasnt let up.  Your savings can never keep up so you can never quit slaving.

The only way to fix our economy is to burn the currency, not issue more.  Consumer prices would immediately fall.  

You cant borrow your way out of debt but you can sink a country that way. When they stop minting coins and printing small bills, a revolution is usually soon to follow. 

Offline timberking

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
Second the motion on SYP saw timber still being soft.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Im getting the same as last couple years , good high grade maple donot cut but I cut the rest , if good butt logs but not veneer I have been getting $150/1000 more than before . But I do feel a raise should becoming soon

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 08:02:52 PM »
Long time no hear @ehp, how are things in Canada?  AMEX keeps begging for wood but they don't raise prices very quickly (though they finally are starting to).  Weather been good?  
Liking Walnut

Offline BAN

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Peelers have jumped $100 thousand but pine and Hew haven't moved yet.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
everything is fine here , been a real hot summer . Been doing stuff with my kids and wife plus logging.  Been talking to other mills as they just show up on my landing , all of us feel the same way . Next year its going to suck and everything is going to slow down or stop . Hard maple took a good move up today but the top veneer is still pretty bad . Had another mill email me a price list today but all they want is low grade but the price they put on the price list was so low you would be a fool to cut for that price . I mean it was so low I have never seen log prices like that , well maybe in 1970

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter.
Yeah WI took a hit with the two mills closing.  Sorry to hear about the tough situation there.  Veneer may pick up soon as the cool weather returns (for you in about a month  :D).  We actually hear of overseas demand increasing so maybe that will move your sawtimber and veneer up.  
Lots of Ponsse guys are on the way to Louisiana tonight, looking to do salvage cleanup following the hurricane.  Maybe that will take some supply off the market? 
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log Prices

Started by John Woodworth on Forestry and Logging

44 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 05:35:17 AM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
log prices

Started by woodmills1 on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2001, 09:49:06 PM
by Frank_Pender