The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Log prices  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
Log prices
« on: August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
Are you guys seeing any changes or heard anything? Just curious. 

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Log prices
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
Not in the loop at the moment, but Log Street Journal posted on FB that prices were soaring due to renovation demand. I don't know the validity of that. I may be cutting some nice hardwood this fall if the prices are decent. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
Only good logs info but here it is: RO has popped back up with the exporters% $800 for 2-3 side clear stuff and 1500 for good butts.  Hickory doing ok, WO still strong.  Canadian mills desperate for wood, they'll truck many times- for you guys in MI I bet that's not a terrible option.  All in all yes.  Not sure what Sugar Maple is doing right now, maybe @ehp could chime in.  

Liking Walnut

Offline quilbilly

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
Pnw softwood markets are hot. Hardwood not so much 
a man is strongest on his knees

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
If it's going to get good again October should be the month.  Got a load of r.oak/ash baking here and 'my' buyer won't come for less than a truck and pup.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:39:47 PM »
I can definitively tell you after thursday, hope to ship 3 triaxle load of decent wood. Buyer has told me to stay out of the good wood, real nice maple, after Halloween it's supposed to really come back. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 04:55:00 AM »
Interesting. Seems you here good and bad. Thatís what Iím Iím told here lol  ďWe canít pay a lot but we need it bad when can we get itĒ 

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »
Southern Pine log prices are not increasing.  Plenty of supply.  Lumber market is hot, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 06:36:26 AM »
So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 07:05:54 AM »
So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
I think a lot of that is going on now. Iím seeing a little more iron for sale too. Everyone is working so I think itís just spare machines they want to get sold before the buyers are broke. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 07:12:39 AM »
With money dilution coming on strong in the coming years theyre gonna see their old iron prices double and wish they kept em to sell at the new price.  Same as everyone on earth said about their chevelle or dart or skylark etc etc.   Im not saying an old skidder is worth more but rather the future dollars are worth less.

Id speculate thats whats happening to housing prices.  Despite a very shaky boom bust economy and overall destabilizing national conditions, real estate is skyrocketing.  Im pretty comfident thats being lead by genuine wealth simply buying houses as a hedge against the printing press. Id snatch all the land i could right now.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »
With money dilution....

future dollars are worth less.

Yesterday Deb and I went by a little hole in the wall burger joint that I use to go when I was a kid with my dad.  Burgers then were 10 cents now they are $1.00.  And not quite as good.  Dad bought a New Plymouth for $3000.00.  Now you can get something similar for $30,000.  Probably not as sturdy.  Burgers and cars have went up 10 times.  Minimum wage when I was in school was $1.65.  What is it now?  I donít know.  But if you want any decent help you will pay them 10 times that amount.  That Trent will likely continue.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 08:34:55 AM »
That is the real "inflation" measure.   Which is intentional disinformation itself.  "2 ways to conquer: By the sword or by debt."  Inflation is when more existing dollars of a hard backed currency at a fixed exchange rate are suddenly conjured into an area by an increase in genuine enterprise..and the sudden rush of cash is competing for the same, slow to increase volume of goods and services.  Vendors raise their price in order to modulate demand down to what is manageable for them to produce.  They can only turn out so many widgits once you hit 3 shifts.

You cannot have inflation with a fiat currency by printing and injecting more of it by central banks and direct mailed govt "stimulus."  That is dilution.  The treasury/fed just wont admit it.

BK & Ford didnt water down the whopper or the F350.  The fed watered down the paper we buy them with and weve all become slaves to printing press dilution that really got rolling under 2big2fail and hasnt let up.  Your savings can never keep up so you can never quit slaving.

The only way to fix our economy is to burn the currency, not issue more.  Consumer prices would immediately fall.  

You cant borrow your way out of debt but you can sink a country that way. When they stop minting coins and printing small bills, a revolution is usually soon to follow. 

Offline timberking

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
Second the motion on SYP saw timber still being soft.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Im getting the same as last couple years , good high grade maple donot cut but I cut the rest , if good butt logs but not veneer I have been getting $150/1000 more than before . But I do feel a raise should becoming soon

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 08:02:52 PM »
Long time no hear @ehp, how are things in Canada?  AMEX keeps begging for wood but they don't raise prices very quickly (though they finally are starting to).  Weather been good?  
Liking Walnut

Offline BAN

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Peelers have jumped $100 thousand but pine and Hew haven't moved yet.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
everything is fine here , been a real hot summer . Been doing stuff with my kids and wife plus logging.  Been talking to other mills as they just show up on my landing , all of us feel the same way . Next year its going to suck and everything is going to slow down or stop . Hard maple took a good move up today but the top veneer is still pretty bad . Had another mill email me a price list today but all they want is low grade but the price they put on the price list was so low you would be a fool to cut for that price . I mean it was so low I have never seen log prices like that , well maybe in 1970

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »
Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter.
Yeah WI took a hit with the two mills closing.  Sorry to hear about the tough situation there.  Veneer may pick up soon as the cool weather returns (for you in about a month  :D).  We actually hear of overseas demand increasing so maybe that will move your sawtimber and veneer up.  
Lots of Ponsse guys are on the way to Louisiana tonight, looking to do salvage cleanup following the hurricane.  Maybe that will take some supply off the market? 
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
everything is fine here , been a real hot summer . Been doing stuff with my kids and wife plus logging.  Been talking to other mills as they just show up on my landing , all of us feel the same way . Next year its going to suck and everything is going to slow down or stop . Hard maple took a good move up today but the top veneer is still pretty bad . Had another mill email me a price list today but all they want is low grade but the price they put on the price list was so low you would be a fool to cut for that price . I mean it was so low I have never seen log prices like that , well maybe in 1970
Sometimes I wonder what these bottom fishers are doing?  I really can't believe people send them wood.
Liking Walnut

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Yeah itís definitely tough going here. Iím not sure what a lot of guys are going to do. I have a feeling the pulp mills will keep most shut off past September. They are hauling lots of wood from Wisconsin rapids up here so I think they will process that before they open back up. Heard around 20,000 cord they have  sitting in the yard down there. Not sure what will happen going forward. I think there will be some bankruptcies and bank owned equipment for sale in the next few months. 

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 09:21:47 PM »
Stumpage is CRAZY high here right now. Iím not even lookin at bid sales. Donít wanna lose money and work for nothin. If I wAnt excersize Iíll buy a treadmill 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 12:07:41 AM »
Hmm maybe someone knows something we donít.  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
Marketing board here still showing old hardwood log prices since June, so not changing much. The sawmill will likely see the raise because up here they have a steady supply of public owned wood. Without that the mill doesn't get built. The mill sets purchase price for that wood, not DNR. There is no bid process.
Move'n on.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Yeah itís definitely tough going here. Iím not sure what a lot of guys are going to do. I have a feeling the pulp mills will keep most shut off past September. They are hauling lots of wood from Wisconsin rapids up here so I think they will process that before they open back up. Heard around 20,000 cord they have  sitting in the yard down there. Not sure what will happen going forward. I think there will be some bankruptcies and bank owned equipment for sale in the next few months.
Wow...that would mean they'd start the fall/winter really not needing the wood.  Terrible. 
I would expect it is a good time to find some redpine or something that saws into a 2x4 (conifers).  Down here even though the lumber prices are sky high the mills have not budged on pine logs,  somethings rotten.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Cub

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »
Almost impossible to move pine now. Has been all summer. Potlach in Gwinn hasnít been sawing much for studs. And they had a full yard before the virus stuff started. Escanaba pulp mill uses lots of pine. Yard is full. Lots of guys were getting 1 truck load a month for quota. Aspen same thing. Lp mill hasnít taken much to make osb. Running half crew up there. Itís been tough to get rid of anything. Things moved all summer. Just really slow. Itís like what do you even cut. Just donít know how long it will sit on the landing and dry out n get lighter. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 08:48:59 AM »
Something definitely rotten.  

Store beef prices through the roof, but cows are dirt cheep at the stockyard auction and the custom slaughterers have a 2 yr appointment lead now.

Lumber, plywood and osb flying off the shelf at record prices, but the mills arent buying.  

These are some seriously peculiar supply chain anomolies.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
The spf on the exchange made it to almost $900.mbf now it down to $790. and going down.
Ed K

Offline quilbilly

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
Just trying to piece together what I see here, but it seems like where there is some competition for wood from exporters, the market is a bit higher and more reflective of the cost at the lumber yard. 

We have had a huge jump YoY and it's expected to hold through the elections. Went from no work in the late spring to 6 months lined up in a few weeks, at higher rate than normal too. 

People here want to leave Seattle and Portland bad and are buying anything they can get their hands on to start building houses.
a man is strongest on his knees

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »
Commodity pricing is always about supply and demand; but that does not mean that supply/demand is in balance through the entire  production chain. Covid19 caused supply chain chaos. Stuff in the store got wild because demand exceeded supply at the retail level. Plant closures at meat and egg processing plants made shelf ready product in high demand. No reason to buy beef on the hoof if your plant is not running so yes over-supply on the farm and under supply on the store shelf can happen and pricing at both ends of the chain reflect different realities. No conspiracy and if you don't have product to sell you aren't getting rich selling at the new high price because you have little to sell.

Lumber is the same. Shutdowns that weren't forced by the government still resulted. Some by management scaling back in an uncertain environment, some by labor shortages even with widespread unemployment. Not a single mill I deal with is able to keep adequate workers to maintain full production. Fear and government incentives to not work plays a part. Framing lumber is high because they big mills can't produce enough to meet the demand they didn't expect and don't have the workers to produce. Paying extra for logs that are not in short supply makes no sense. Log prices will not move until log demand exceeds log supply. Producers never set pricing in commodity markets; supply and demand does. Traders had to pay to get rid of crude oil for a couple days but the mini-mart is never going to pay you to put gas in your tank. Not a conspiracy just supply and demand doing its thing. Big prices will either curb demand or increase production.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
I was driving a truck into the same plants i always did through mid May and everything was pumping while toilet paper and hand sanitizer were gone.  

I never saw a "shutdown" anywhere.  Not a sawmill, brickplant, block, mulch, coils, hardie board, pressure treater.  Heck my last backhaul was that hardie board out of plant city FL and there was 7 staging lanes of trucks completely full, trucks all over the entrance road and a flagger waving us away.  Thats atleast 4x more loads booked than normal and they averaged 120 truck loads a day normal.   I got a load of drainage tile out of south georgia to bounce home. Plant looked normal there too.

I read about closures that would disrupt supply chains.  But i saw none. And i probably drove into more industrial locations than your average bear.  The pulp trucks never stopped running on 68 or 127 either.  atlanta journal said the everglades were plowing fruit under but i was there next morning.. No fresh tillage to be seen.  This is the only tractor i ever saw working in 7 trips to south florida and hes mucking irrigation.

The contractor i was delivering to hardscapes for citrus barons.. Said he hadnt heard of this fruit crisis and his projects are in the $ million range.  But how did i get into FL?  The news said theres roadblocks all over?  Nope.  75 was wide open.  Scale and ag checkpoints were even closed.  

Call me crazy i dont care,all i said was somethings fishy.  Just tellin you the honest truth of what i witnessed first hand.  Lord strike me dead if im lying.

These kinda lines to pick up TP and water were a month long. Plants were on mandatory OT.   This demand insanity should always raise input prices under any circumstance.  Youd need a concentration yard the size of rhode island for this much TP demand not to spike pulp prices.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
up here most lumber yards are pretty bare , lots of stuff is sold out and whatever you get the price is up 50% , HMMMM I wonder when my price goes up . 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
OH Logger its the same here , mills are paying crazy prices for standing timber . 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
Now that's a line of trucks!!!   :o
What do you do, wait in line for 6 hours to be loaded?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
 Last week I posted that the price of 1k bf of spf was up to almost $900. I checked yesterday afternoon and it's down below $670. a thousand.
Ed K

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
I donít understand how things can be so different up and down all ever the place. I think itís just uncertainty in the future that is controlling the market right now. I have worked lined up for the rest of the year so I hope it stays that way. My work I mean. 

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
Chinese are still taking it as fast as it goes in the boxes, saw 2x debarkers and iron going the other day filling boxes when I dropped wood off. Decent ash, not the best couple sticks of maple and I averaged 700 straight thru. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:28 PM »
China shut down all containers up here a week ago , said they are full of red oak and ash and walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2020, 12:17:03 AM »
Now that's a line of trucks!!!   :o
What do you do, wait in line for 6 hours to be loaded?
Probably more like 16. Thats why the govt had to suspend the hours of service. 

Offline dnash

• Share Post
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
China shut down all containers up here a week ago , said they are full of red oak and ash and walnut
That sucks...I spoke to one of the bigger exporters over your way a month and a half ago and he said he had just got an order for 30 containers a month of red oak. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
There is a log buyer/concentration yard about 10 miles from me, having a hard time even getting a price sheet from them ::)

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
 China got several triaxle and pup loads of my ash over the last 3 years.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
ya Im pretty sure the guy your talking about is sitting and if you didnot know his Dad had a heart attack couple weeks ago, they put 4 splints in him so he seems ok, the one problem was a certain mill in the prov. besides us sent some containers that had bugs in them . That is a real big no no . So now every container has to be done proper and is inspected . They got so much red oak over there they have no idea on what to do with it and the price shows . The containers guys had another loop hole to ship stuff but that also got shut down hard so we will see 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
But that same guy were talking about is looking for hard maple 300,000 feet and paying very well and its not the high grade veneer , more like rotary veneer grade stuff , its alot more than what the mills here are paying

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
AMEX, canadian mill, has opened a facility in east/central PA to buy logs, looking for WO (like everyone else).  

Anyone have any quartersaw log news?  My current buyer is good but this project could cover him up, especially in the larger chestnut oaks (who knows what they'll look like once dropped, CO is notorious for staining).  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
amex gets very few logs around here , I know guys that have tried them for a couple loads but go back to the normal mills here

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
amex gets very few logs around here , I know guys that have tried them for a couple loads but go back to the normal mills here
Yeah the pricing is not so great, international scale on small walnut is good though.   They have a competitor I hear, don't know who they are..V something?   
Northwest Hardwoods rumors continue to abound, they closed the export facility operated at the inland port of Virginia in Front Royal (last season).  Put a lot of smaller exporters in VA in a hard spot.  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
there is a couple bigger mills over in Quebec buying hardwood  , there is not alot of good hardwood left over there so thats why their looking everywhere to get more. There is a area that has good yellow birch just east of ontario border in Quebec and its a fairly big area and yellow birch is the most common tree . Lots of birch veneer in it 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
Rift WO veneer pricing is in at $ 3-7/bdft.  We'll see how some do, not really happy on the wood quality but we've got size.
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
I donít understand how prices can be all over the place. I mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 08:03:13 PM »
Mills pay the same price at their yard, but it costs a LOT more to ship logs 500 miles vs 5 miles,  Difference shows in the value of the logs on the landing. 

Here in NZ you want your forest within ~50 miles of a mill or port, otherwise the trucking starts to eat up too much of the value. 

Rail is more cost effective over longer distances, but it still means double handling and increases the costs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs

Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
Takes a big wo to get that price.  But if you have them ask for it.  This is one tree.  

Other pricing news:  poplar is at $600 for butt logs, way below the prices of 2 years ago but better than this spring.  

Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »
ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
some nice looking trees in that picture standing

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
I mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Federal Milk Order sets the price on how milk is paid and I am not kidding when I say there are only a select group of several people who know the magic formula and decide on how it will be applied this month.  If you sell commodity milk to a co-op then you are stuck with this system.  In some cases you have to buy the right to get the top price, or any price sometimes, and the "credits" (the name varies with the State you are in) you own are not worth the paper they are printed on as nothing stands behind them and the State can simply ignore them tomorrow should they choose. Not something you want to see in the timber industry.

Maine has it's own commission that sets the price on milk so it's not part of the FMO, but it's a mess just the same.  

Oh - and the farmer pays the trucking, then the milk plant pays a fee to the State and Fed for every gallon of milk processed, for advertising you know.  This is above and beyond sales taxes, local taxes, income taxes, fuel taxes, etc.  It's along the same lines as the Forest Use Tax I have to pay for every log I buy or harvest then put through the mill.  

Keep the bureaucrats out of it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »
Sorta off topic but one thing i did hear first hand about covid was a milk hauler dumping a tanker load for the first time in his long career.  Just no place to haul it when national school demand suddenly stopped.  

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »
ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking
I think $4 is about what that butt brings (center bottom).  The veneer mill should pay the trucking.  Are there any veneer export buyers?  Right now light is right.  I was talking tulip poplar, yellow poplar.  It had fallen to $400.  Guys were so desperate they were selling fine logs at $40/ton for yellow poplar peelers, peeling mill was just flooded.  Those logs should have sold for $80/ton.
I'll post some more pics in the cutting thread.  It is a pleasure to be on this site.
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
veneer does pay trucking but they take it off the top to start with, hard maple use to get good money but not right now $7 to $8 a ft was about normal here for the high grade 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »
Iíve never heard of prices like you guys are talking. Best Iíve ever heard was $5 for hard maple going to China and that was a few years ago. Now $2-$3 is great if you get it. And best ever heard in number one was $1.20. Years ago. Milk gets dumped everyday FYI. Know one knows it though. Always has. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »
ya like most veneer buyers will tell you , right where I am is the best hard maple veneer that grows , the heart is a pencil dot and snow white in color. Biggest problem here is cause it was worth so much guys would go in and just cut the top veneer and leave, next is the sap suckers . They can ruin a tree in 1 spring

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
for a good bigger butt sawlog thats hard maple I get $1.15 per ft , big white soft maple its .70 a foot . Same as before 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2020, 09:10:25 PM »
we will see if the prices come up any , its getting colder out here so they should, if not I will not cut any good stuff , I will let it grow 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2020, 07:44:24 AM »
we will see if the prices come up any , its getting colder out here so they should, if not I will not cut any good stuff , I will let it grow
Big test for us today.  Last spring we survived on cutting a diet of WO, our ash salvage work did not even pay the bills, just helping out a timberframer.  Walnut is zig zagging but we may cut some walnut as well.  
I'll update with RO news.
Liking Walnut

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
Iíve got some big red oak coming up. But itís mills wood so price donít matter to me🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
$1.2-$0.6 for export RO.  Lots of rejects due to this or that..truthfully they had some issues but there were a few head scratchers.  Overall, a bit lower than I'd like.  

WO remains strong and multiple buyers are committing at $3-7 for these rift qs logs.
Liking Walnut

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
Thatís about what Iíve heard around here. Closer to the .60 side though

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
gas prices

Started by Lyle_Brumm on General Board

0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2005, 09:37:11 PM
by Lyle_Brumm
xx
ERC prices

Started by Beavertooth on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 08:05:33 PM
by shelbycharger400