The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Log prices  (Read 3627 times)

Offline dnash

• Share Post
Re: Log prices
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
China shut down all containers up here a week ago , said they are full of red oak and ash and walnut
That sucks...I spoke to one of the bigger exporters over your way a month and a half ago and he said he had just got an order for 30 containers a month of red oak. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
There is a log buyer/concentration yard about 10 miles from me, having a hard time even getting a price sheet from them ::)

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
 China got several triaxle and pup loads of my ash over the last 3 years.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
ya Im pretty sure the guy your talking about is sitting and if you didnot know his Dad had a heart attack couple weeks ago, they put 4 splints in him so he seems ok, the one problem was a certain mill in the prov. besides us sent some containers that had bugs in them . That is a real big no no . So now every container has to be done proper and is inspected . They got so much red oak over there they have no idea on what to do with it and the price shows . The containers guys had another loop hole to ship stuff but that also got shut down hard so we will see 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
But that same guy were talking about is looking for hard maple 300,000 feet and paying very well and its not the high grade veneer , more like rotary veneer grade stuff , its alot more than what the mills here are paying

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
AMEX, canadian mill, has opened a facility in east/central PA to buy logs, looking for WO (like everyone else).  

Anyone have any quartersaw log news?  My current buyer is good but this project could cover him up, especially in the larger chestnut oaks (who knows what they'll look like once dropped, CO is notorious for staining).  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
amex gets very few logs around here , I know guys that have tried them for a couple loads but go back to the normal mills here

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
amex gets very few logs around here , I know guys that have tried them for a couple loads but go back to the normal mills here
Yeah the pricing is not so great, international scale on small walnut is good though.   They have a competitor I hear, don't know who they are..V something?   
Northwest Hardwoods rumors continue to abound, they closed the export facility operated at the inland port of Virginia in Front Royal (last season).  Put a lot of smaller exporters in VA in a hard spot.  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
there is a couple bigger mills over in Quebec buying hardwood  , there is not alot of good hardwood left over there so thats why their looking everywhere to get more. There is a area that has good yellow birch just east of ontario border in Quebec and its a fairly big area and yellow birch is the most common tree . Lots of birch veneer in it 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
Rift WO veneer pricing is in at $ 3-7/bdft.  We'll see how some do, not really happy on the wood quality but we've got size.
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
I donít understand how prices can be all over the place. I mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 08:03:13 PM »
Mills pay the same price at their yard, but it costs a LOT more to ship logs 500 miles vs 5 miles,  Difference shows in the value of the logs on the landing. 

Here in NZ you want your forest within ~50 miles of a mill or port, otherwise the trucking starts to eat up too much of the value. 

Rail is more cost effective over longer distances, but it still means double handling and increases the costs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs

Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
Takes a big wo to get that price.  But if you have them ask for it.  This is one tree.  

Other pricing news:  poplar is at $600 for butt logs, way below the prices of 2 years ago but better than this spring.  

Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »
ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
some nice looking trees in that picture standing

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
I mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Federal Milk Order sets the price on how milk is paid and I am not kidding when I say there are only a select group of several people who know the magic formula and decide on how it will be applied this month.  If you sell commodity milk to a co-op then you are stuck with this system.  In some cases you have to buy the right to get the top price, or any price sometimes, and the "credits" (the name varies with the State you are in) you own are not worth the paper they are printed on as nothing stands behind them and the State can simply ignore them tomorrow should they choose. Not something you want to see in the timber industry.

Maine has it's own commission that sets the price on milk so it's not part of the FMO, but it's a mess just the same.  

Oh - and the farmer pays the trucking, then the milk plant pays a fee to the State and Fed for every gallon of milk processed, for advertising you know.  This is above and beyond sales taxes, local taxes, income taxes, fuel taxes, etc.  It's along the same lines as the Forest Use Tax I have to pay for every log I buy or harvest then put through the mill.  

Keep the bureaucrats out of it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »
Sorta off topic but one thing i did hear first hand about covid was a milk hauler dumping a tanker load for the first time in his long career.  Just no place to haul it when national school demand suddenly stopped.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »
ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking
I think $4 is about what that butt brings (center bottom).  The veneer mill should pay the trucking.  Are there any veneer export buyers?  Right now light is right.  I was talking tulip poplar, yellow poplar.  It had fallen to $400.  Guys were so desperate they were selling fine logs at $40/ton for yellow poplar peelers, peeling mill was just flooded.  Those logs should have sold for $80/ton.
I'll post some more pics in the cutting thread.  It is a pleasure to be on this site.
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
OWB Prices

Started by Logging logginglogging on Firewood and Wood Heating

13 Replies
Last post December 05, 2012, 07:26:14 PM
by sparky1
xx
ERC prices

Started by Beavertooth on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 08:05:33 PM
by shelbycharger400