The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: diapers on equipment  (Read 1242 times)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
diapers on equipment
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
So we have been cleaning and tracking the cause of a few leaks and other issues that were only half resolved in the winter, these issues are a problem in our neck of the woods a good cleaning, opening all the service doors/panels, even a bit of touchup paint has been in order.  Done as much mechanic work as I'm doing and have a service truck coming to do a couple of repairs but in the meantime have to get back to work.  One issue is trying to catch about  1 quart of oil from 2 different spots that just seep all day.  It has been suggested to put some diapers in floor of service panels close to the weep holes and change every night before leaving.  Has anyone done anything like this?
Liking Walnut

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: diapers on equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
Look into 'pig mats'. We used them in the shop all the time for all kinds of leak and small spills, they come in perf rolls and tear off like paper towels and really soak up the oil. One of the things I miss about working was being able to bring some home from time to time to put under my Mule in the shop. Good stuff and will probably fit your need perfectly.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:56:39 PM »
gotcha, I'm looking at pigmats now, what a strange term.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:14:12 PM »
They specialize in spill cleanup kits. They first started making theses snake like things for putting around a floor spill as containment, but then they got into these mats. We would buy cases of the stuff regularly and had rolls all around the facility. They also make nice pads to sit on during lunch outside on a rainy or very cold day. Good stuff, hope this is helpful to you. Oh, and the promo stuff they send to customers is usually fun stuff.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
Actually  the pigmats  are disposable fibrous pads that act as absorbant bedding for new born baby pigs. Yes you could cut them to fit and a layer or two would catch the leaks holding the oil for the short term. I use them every once in a while around here.

Offline Plankton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
The pig mats are the way to go. I use the white and grey ones. The white ones soak up oil and repel water and the gray ones soak up both. White is great if its wet or oil spill in a bbn puddle etc. I keep a stack of both in my truck at all times.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »
I don't know.  I hear you on the issue of having a leak - BUT - if you burn your machine because Murphy showed up and found a nice oil soaked pad at 3:00, then you are going to have a much larger, negative environmental impact on your hands.  Then of course your insurance company might have something to say about not fixing a known issue and potentially creating the combustion source in the interest of getting back to work.  

How long before the service truck can get there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »
I don't know.  I hear you on the issue of having a leak - BUT - if you burn your machine because Murphy showed up and found a nice oil soaked pad at 3:00, then you are going to have a much larger, negative environmental impact on your hands.  Then of course your insurance company might have something to say about not fixing a known issue and potentially creating the combustion source in the interest of getting back to work.  

How long before the service truck can get there?
Kinda my thoughts with a machine and the fire hazard issue. If it's a quart a day let it leak out of the machine or fix it if you don't like that idea. It would be very tempting to leave them in there if not "full". 
Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:03:51 AM »
@barbender  ask Pekka  :D.  So we've been working to trouble shoot some of these leaks for a while, since we bought it, but couldn't track down.  Turns out some of the access plates were not/are not accessible; took days to figure that out and broken breaker bars and hot tempers and torch fuel.  Lost so much time on the diagnosis that I've blown our downtime and have to get back to work, buyers coming day after holiday so that's not much time to start getting loads on the ground.  Ponsse will have truck here, they're doing right thing it is just timing, top service guys are involved in diagnosing, good commitment and no complaints at this time- hopefully have timing sorted by tomorrow.  We do have a working tested fire suppression system and shut down properly.  

I would drop the plates/doors and pull pads every evening and put new ones in for a week or two.  Pads would beat the mountain of organic soaked material that was there (still is on one diff) previously.  We're going to lose a few days work while they are here and that's an issue so more delay would be a killer.  @barbender pads would go under or over front diff and in rear bunk channel on top of drain holes (see PM for details).  
Liking Walnut

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 08:33:34 AM »
1 quart a day I would just let it drip. Maybe park on a matt or over a pan at night. 

Any sort of diaper soaked in oil is bound to be flammable and I wouldn't want that stuffdd inside my machine. As for the fire suppression system I wouldn't count on it saving your machine. Personally seen multiple machines burn up with a working and deployed fire suppression system.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 09:06:34 AM »
1 quart a day I would just let it drip. Maybe park on a matt or over a pan at night.

Any sort of diaper soaked in oil is bound to be flammable and I wouldn't want that stuffdd inside my machine. As for the fire suppression system I wouldn't count on it saving your machine. Personally seen multiple machines burn up with a working and deployed fire suppression system.
Can't have it dripping at this next site, just can't.  Besides I figure that the amount of material I pulled out of there was way way way worse than a single day's leak, I mean it was ..not good.  So on the whole I'm much further ahead than where we were last month.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
Hes logging the ritz carlton country club next and they truly wont tolerate any machine peeing on the green.

Use ratchet straps and cardboard or even make a gurney from plywood and plank so it can be strapped easily.. Pack the diapers under the machine so you can change them without pulling the panels.  If they get ripped off oh well.  Better than a fire or getting kicked out.  Just get through this one job and get your $$ while u can. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
Mike is just about spot on :D.  The door panels are no big issues, they drop easily.  One access plate requires a transmission jack to catch it so that is, of course, the one area with the worst leak. We'll plug it somehow.  

We have been offered a property right next door to the Ritz, honest to gosh neighbors.  Too much on our plate to take that on for now.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
Aw cmon wyatt.  Just order another ponnse.. Then you can have two babies to feed and change.  

smiley_nananana

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »
Aw cmon wyatt.  Just order another ponnse.. Then you can have two babies to feed and change.  

smiley_nananana
Man I'm over 50, time to stop changing diapers.
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
 :D

Fyi.  I maintained all the pistols ranges at s&w and they fired millions of rounds per year.  These hinges are what we used for the flip up panels to daily access the shrapnel trays underneath.  

McMaster-Carr

Theyll take  .500 or .460xvr rounds all day. Theyll take infinite stumps.   Someday when you have a mobile repair guy over.. Shorten the panels a quarter inch where they engage that lip and weld on some hinges so that can be a two bolt afair out in the woods, sans tranny jack.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 10:12:37 AM »
Great thought Mike.  Thanks for that link!
Liking Walnut

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
I knew a guy with a dodge (dirty oil dripping gas eater) diesel that liked to mark its territory. He had a tree service and many times parked in ppl's driveways. Those ppl he was working for did not like the territory marking so he got a piece of landscape fabric and draped it hanging from the undercarriage. Kept all the drips off the driveways and customers were much happier.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »
Is another forwarder an option? Pay rent yes but get the machine to Ponsse and get your jobs cut without new problems. No down time, fires or loss of reputation/jobs. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
here they will make you change the hdy. oil to oil that has no bearing on soil. Its real costly per drum thou so I pass on those tree hugger jobs

Offline kiko

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 05:30:57 PM »
The longer you wait the worse it is gonna get. Might as well go on and break her down and fix it. Replace every oring and seal that you encounter to get to the ones that are leaking.  

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
If a tree hugger can spot a 1 quart leak spread over more than a 200sqft lot i would crap my pants. What are they going to do when a hose blows? Haha. 

If they are truly magic and can spot that size of leak I would just wait until the machine is fixed and before it starts leaking again. Lol

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »
Put a kiddie pool under it. I sold 4 to some crew just for that reason.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
I used jumbo Modess pads with the sticky backing on my various engine leaks for years in the machinery spaces on my boats. There are also oil absorbent pads , but they are pretty expensive. Nothing is as expensive as failing a Coast Guard examination ,,,,so it is all relative.
  The kid pool idea is also good. A couple of my friends leased a Convair 880 years ago and we had to put kiddy pools under each engine nacelle  or we were not allowed to stay at airports overnight.Don't ask what we did with all the waste oil.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
The longer you wait the worse it is gonna get. Might as well go on and break her down and fix it. Replace every oring and seal that you encounter to get to the ones that are leaking.  
Right now it's just a matter of a Ponsse truck showing up, they are being great.  I'm just a long way from any other customer.  I like the idea to just replace a whole whack of orings and seals :).  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »
I used jumbo Modess pads with the sticky backing on my various engine leaks for years in the machinery spaces on my boats. There are also oil absorbent pads , but they are pretty expensive. Nothing is as expensive as failing a Coast Guard examination ,,,,so it is all relative.
  The kid pool idea is also good. A couple of my friends leased a Convair 880 years ago and we had to put kiddy pools under each engine nacelle  or we were not allowed to stay at airports overnight.Don't ask what we did with all the waste oil.....
So hmm...what did you do with the oil?  and where the heck do you park it if not an airport?
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
If a tree hugger can spot a 1 quart leak spread over more than a 200sqft lot i would crap my pants. What are they going to do when a hose blows? Haha.

If they are truly magic and can spot that size of leak I would just wait until the machine is fixed and before it starts leaking again. Lol
Man when it sits overnight in the same spot for a week the two leaks (both about a quart) are just giant black stains, slick with oil.  Not a great sight and I can see it from 100' away ..so can the property owners.  It's the property owners that matter, not tree huggers per se but very very high end area.  For that matter I mean our forwarder could not work on a utility line project with these leaks.    
Ponsse is being great, they'll get fixed soon.  Just for several days I will change diapers.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
Good idea for when it's parked, I can always take it over to our county recycling landfill.  I have some buckets :).
Liking Walnut

Offline kiko

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
If you go kiddie pool option, you could rig up an electric pump with a filter and just pump  the oil  back in .  Not my idea but have seen that set up on a barko 295 with a leaky swivel.  

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
  The kid pool idea is also good. A couple of my friends leased a Convair 880 years ago and we had to put kiddy pools under each engine nacelle  or we were not allowed to stay at airports overnight.Don't ask what we did with all the waste oil.....
So hmm...what did you do with the oil?  and where the heck do you park it if not an airport?
We also could not self start,,,,,,We just moved the jet every few hours State to State ahead of the tarmac complaints. I ran out of money in Sitka and had to hitch a ride home early on in this venture.The plane was buried eventually in a snowstorm shortly later in Nova Scotia and when the spring thaw came Mr Hughes's folks had the whole thing repo'ed and sent back to the Mojave desert.
 No comment on the oil, about a half case a day for 4 engines......
 More pertinent to this thread are the jumbo Modess pads. ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
Its all fun and games until theres a downpour  :P

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:07 PM »
So Rob I have to ask - what were you and your friends doing with a leased AIRLINER?  Is there a Roadie story here that involves Jerry Garcia?  :D 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
So Rob I have to ask - what were you and your friends doing with a leased AIRLINER?  Is there a Roadie story here that involves Jerry Garcia?  :D
I am going guess fish...sitka and nova scotia...that just smells fishy :D
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
Smells phishy?

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »
I don't know....sounds an awful lot like someone taking all of their winnings and flying up to Nova Scotia to watch the total eclipse of the sun.  Maybe we finally found out that Carly was singing about Rob?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
Yes, the cargo version and to fly fresh fish into the Los Angeles marketplace. Huge lease payments, fuel costs, inability to self start- meaning we had to bribe or beg starts off of bigger carriers (cases of Coors beer) at each airport.
 I tried another similar business with flying race horses and fresh fish (separately  :D ) that failed before it got off of the ground. You need to pick honest partners......
  Then there was the remake of IntroVision, a small movie studio that I got involved with in the 90's . The super Modess pad were useful to ease the hemorrhaging of my wallet. Again you need to pick honest partners and there are slim pickings in Hollywood.
  Someone pointed out last week that my posts are "simply quite ridiculous " I'm back to work.....

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 09:44:43 AM »
Well, theres always wood working...

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »
meaning we had to bribe or beg starts off of bigger carriers (cases of Coors beer) at each airport.
"The problem here, is that Coors beer, you take that east of Texas, and that's bootlegging." (Old movie quote.) ;D

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
Bum bum bum easaasst bound and dowwwwwnnnn loadedupntruckn

Breaker breaker got a picture taker all the smokies at the 43.  Its the truckers joy that japanese toy that everybody calls CB

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
A six pack and a crisp 100 dollar bill is how I started my sawmill business 15 years ago. Beer is a universal happy face commodity that crosses all lines........ 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline krusty

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
If it has a detroit in it and its not leaking daily, something aint right. Pretty sure that the FSM said leaking was part of the normal operation!   ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Value of equipment

Started by D6c on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2019, 07:17:35 PM
by Bandmill Bandit
xx
Looking for the right equipment

Started by zak1983 on Forestry and Logging

33 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 11:13:11 AM
by Piston