The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Windows in shop- yes or no?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
Re: Windows in shop- yes or no?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 07:41:16 PM »
Flatrock,
I love the board and batten with the metal down low to keep the pine (?) out of the splash zone.  That is a good looking building.  Our shop has two 10' roll up doors and one 12' roll up door.  I have considered adding a 4' 220v exhaust fan to get rid of heat and dust but have yet to install it.

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
Windows in my shop. I like dat warm cozy feeling I get working in my nice warm shop in winter, and seeing dat cold north wind blowin' da snow around.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline RPF2509

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 06:53:16 PM »
Two windows 6' up on the south side.  The get buried in snow in the winter.  Gotta have some natural light and see some sky.  If I need more ventilation or more light, up goes the 12' roll door.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
24x32 shop bldg has 7 double hung windows. 5 are really salvage aluminum storm windows, one thats mulled is a  wood window bought as new damaged. I originally had 6 skylights made of white fiberglass corrugated panels. The clear plastic skylight materials stuff hadn't been invented when I was building and the old ones went too dark and I shingled over them long ago.
Natural light is great for detail work.  
CL & Facebook marketplace are absolutely full of windows for sale. For my current cabin build I wanted wood windows not white vinyl as most are now days and bought 4 high end Pella wood windows from a window installer that he'd removed. 
In the past ten years wood windows have become a high end only type of window but lots of plastic ones sell as cheap surplus NOS. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 11:27:41 PM »
  I think it would depend on what your shop would be used for. From my research, if you are a serious Traditional Woodworker, there was much planning in the building to allow the proper sunlight for the hours spent in the building. If a regular all purpose shop and you do not have to worry about power outages then you probably do not have to worry about windows. In the end it will just be a personal preference.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline Trackerbuddy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
Yes
I have my shop in the garage. We replaced the garage door and i had a door installed with windows. Much better 

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:20 AM »
Honestly, candidly spoken, this thread is about a question I'd never even ask. Not for a home shop! Maybe if a commercial building for production purposes. Or for a purpose other than custom woodworking. 
Much related to shop windows: Having great electric lighting matters too. I made a serious mistake towards saving money on my original shop lights which were public school salvaged lights bought cheapo with the tubes in place. I failed to consider the dust that accumulates on the top of the tubes and the difficulty in cleaning them! I did paint my ceiling white for light reflection.
As they wore out over many years I finally pulled them all and replaced with T8's having solid reflectors which still catch static dust but stay much brighter overall. I rejected the idea of going LED after talking to my electrical supplier who'd done that same thing of T8's vs. LED when they re-lighted their own large building. I saved two boxes of my old, big tubes for use in a bunch of shop lights having solid reflectors.  

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »
 rejected the idea of going LED after talking to my electrical supplier who'd done that same thing of T8's vs. LED when they re-lighted their own large building. I saved two boxes of my old, big tubes for use in a bunch of shop lights having solid reflectors.  
I'm surprised to hear this. We've retrofitted all our t8 bulbs to led in our repair shop and are very happy. Local hardware store just did the same. When I built my shop last year I salvaged old t8 fixtures and converted them to led.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
My three adult sons and everyone of the thousands of people who adore LED's will agree with you... :D
LED shop lights on my MC forum may just be one of the most common garage threads. 
I like my T8's just fine. I could care less if it takes a minute or two in cold weather to ramp up. 
I told the truth about the electric supply house choosing T8's and they were not selling me fixtures or bulbs. 

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 07:09:04 AM »
Caveman.  I put the metal on the bottom to prevent rot like i have on my old barn.  I wish I had been able to get poplar to side it instead of pine.  My doors are 13x16 and 12x12.

Here are some pictures inside with and without light.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A little windows 95 help? please?

Started by mike_van on General Board

21 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 11:13:45 AM
by Raphael
xx
Windows of...

Started by HiTech on Forestry and Logging

9 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 07:05:07 PM
by Mountaynman