The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: OEM vs Aftermarket Stihl parts  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: OEM vs Aftermarket Stihl parts
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 04:43:12 PM »
not ridicule or disdain.

You are reading something that was never there.
"I,I,I,I" is ridicule. It was to suggest that "I" was overused in my posting and "I" was preaching to do it only my way. Has it come down now to counting the number of times "I" is used in postings to indicate dictatorship? Do "I" get to go back and count the number of "I's" in your past posting to mean something as well?

"I" have no problem with you running a small engine shop and putting in $35 P&C kits for those that want it. Your justification was that the saws are mostly little used anyway, so it's no big deal. And that the owners wouldn't know the difference anyway. All I did was counter that some of us DO know, there are alternatives to the $35 P&C kits and the reasons for such.

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
Am vs. OEM. interesting and not really complex for me. OEM always should be the first choice if available and can be afforded. Period. And this isn't simply related to parts hat effect how a saw runs as well...and example? Chain Brake Levers for MS660's...some of the AM stuff were just to soft. Eventually they would take a permanent new shape....interfering with the top of the muffler....and would "catch" there making it real hard if not impossible to reset the chain brake, now effecting how that saw runs. Because it can't work with the brake on! Another? Bar studs....some AM's were just way too soft. Nothing like being in the woods after carrying that saw and striping the bar studs when adjusting chain tension. How about when a pull start frags while you are working. And my personal favorite, the handle bar bending the first time you have to pull a saw out of a pinch...to the point it looks like skidder damage. So the kind of things that are low risk for AM? Top covers. :) Problem is on some hobby saws, with OEM parts becoming "NLA", in those cases used or AM can be the ONLY option.

Having said that the educational value of de-bugging a kit saw is hard to quantify, same with the fun factor. I really enjoyed developing the kit 660's. But not certain I have the desire to do a 2.0. And now they compete with where I really want to go with the saw hobby....old metal saws colored red, where I started in the hobby journey many years ago. ( Even here, can find some of those rambling from over a decade ago )

And in the Husqvarna world anything but an OEM top end to me is a waste because of Husqvarna's pricing.

To the OP.. for me, the Stihl AM options in fact sometimes are a legitimate option because of price. But that's a qualified "sometimes". And Meteor & Hyway getting cozy muddies those waters as well.

So for me the bottom line is if it is a saw that needs to be reliable...OEM every time.

For hobby and education sometimes AM really works well. Said it for years and nothing has changed my mind on the subject....as I continue to run both "Bling Saw" and my Chinese 372 builds...but always with an OEM build of some sort in the truck as insurance.
Whoa....care to elaborate on the Meteor/Hyway connection....this sounds really dark. franken-smiley

Kevin

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
"I,I,I,I" is ridicule. I

Others may not want what you want.  Others being opposite of I . Simple concept, nothing ridiculing about it.

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »
Well more than one has dumped bar oil in the gas tank .It doesn't kill them but my oh my once they finally get started they do blow smoke a long while .
Now I don't recall ever doing that but I did anti freeze a weed wacker by grabbing the wrong jug .Which didn't occur to me until a few days later I mix gassed my tractor radiator .Things happen you know .
Yeah they do. After a really long day (and I'm a firm advocate not to run chainsaws more than about eight hrs straight), I dumped bar oil into the gas tank. What a mess. I bet that smoke cloud is still hovering over WA somewhere. :)

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
"I,I,I,I" is ridicule. I

Others may not want what you want.  Others being opposite of I . Simple concept, nothing ridiculing about it.
Obviously, and it shouldn't have to be even stated in a chainsaw forum, with everyone giving opinions.

Would it have been better for 'you' if "I" had used "IMHO"? Or does that offend your sensibilities as well?

Kevin

Online Tacotodd

• Full Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
@ZeroJunk and @Real1shepherd , just calm it and go to your separate corners.

Just remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Leave it at that.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline trimguy

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2020, 06:42:39 PM »
Thank you.

Offline joe_indi

• Senior Member x2
  • The older I get the more I learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 10:51:03 PM »
Aftermarket parts are fine for saws that we term as ' beyond economical repair' if it were to be done with OE parts
Similarly, we have situations of saws being wrecked in the hands of careless workers, whether OE parts or AM are used. In such cases AM costs less for the customer
We also get a category of users who are a couple of grades below weekend so warriors. These types use their saws maybe once in two months, or three months and don't bother to drain out the fuel . And for them it is easier for you to replace filters and carbs than spend time cleaning them out. And here the AM comes handy.
But for pros who depend on their saws for their livelihood, OEM is the only option. So also for those non pro users who keep their saws in top condition.
I have tried all types of AM and have found them undependable most of the time, life span unknown.

The joke doing the rounds currently is that for the first time we have got  something from China that has lasted more than 3 months  ;D

Online Tacotodd

• Full Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »
 :D :D :D
Trying harder everyday.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
 :D :D :D That is a good one.
:D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
As general info many manufacturers have moved some degree of their parts to the Asian Pacific rim.Often times the quality has suffered .One   manufacture of orange saws at one time had their carbs made in Japan which were good quality but after moving same to China had many problems .As I understand it that has been corrected .
After working for 29 years for a major automotive company and previously for just nearly all the others .I can attest  those parts come from all over the world no matter if it's Ford,GM or Honda or Navistar .I have no doubt Caterpillar and John -Deere is about the same .

Offline joe_indi

• Senior Member x2
  • The older I get the more I learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2020, 02:44:15 AM »
Al, the OE manufacturers moving manufacturing from their countries to the Asian region is understandable ( maybe not acceptable in their home countries since they also pull jobs in the process), since it is for reducing over heads. But they manufacture using the same molds and dies. The AM supply is done with molds and dies made by reverse engineering. So precision may be lost. Also raw materials used may not be virgin, instead metal scrap is recycled. This is where the problem lies.
Many Stihl users may recall the white mark on the muffler. Do you see it anymore in your countries? I don't see it here anymore

Offline Air Lad

• Wood is good
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 04:04:32 AM »
Our Fujitsu and Daikin brand of AC's come with PRC and Thailand on the boxes.
Japanese parts but. 
Still the top of the tree for quality around here.
What that means I dunno  say_what

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »
K1 and deisel are most likely in my shop AL. Don't think I ever saw the antifreeze trick. Along with the water that is quite common, the refrain is: "I don't know how that got in there." There's plenty of talk about the superiority of pro saws on these sites and often looking down our noses at the plastic homeowner saws. But those poor saws have to endure a different kind of abuse that pro saws rarely see. Some of the clowns who run homeowner saws don't really know enough about them to even own one. It's scary considering the dangers involved vs say a weed wacker.

3/4 of homeowner saws come in with a droopy chain. As in like a suspension bridge droopy with drive links well below the bar. Nearly all of the chains are dull beyond belief. Those chains are black along with a blue/black patina on the clutch drum testifying to the amount of heat that was present as the operator insisted on forcing that dull chain to cut. But if you really want to generate heat, how about running the saw with the brake on wondering why the chain isn't moving? That trick will melt the case and trash the saw. "No, I'm afraid that isn't warranty." Homeowner saws do not lead an easy life. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 08:37:30 AM »
 :D Let me explain the anti freeze .At that time I kept my 2 cycle fuel in old anti freeze plastic jugs because I had  a lot of them .It wasn't a good idea .The anti freeze and the color of the mix oil was about the same which caused me to over look things .Things like this happen when you get in a hurry .
On the saw thing believe me I've seen tree trimmers saws more abused than occasional user owned .
A few years back this area was the hardest hit during a monumental once in a blue moon ice storm in the entire USA .Because of a rush to get enough saws the trimmers bought a bunch of less expensive Stihl saws like 029's and 039's .They lasted about 1 to 2 years under that abuse and I have a box full of them,parts in my shed .They just couldn't stand up to that kind of treatment .
When the storm hit the dealer I do business with supplier in Cincinnati sent two semis full of saws etc .and they were gone in less than one week .They stayed open 20 hours a day during the clean up that lasted about 3 or 4 weeks .During that time I had previously  ordered some parts and bless their hearts I got a phone call about 3 days later they were in, in spite of how busy they were .That's why I do business with them .--more>

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
I know the owner of that business which is the largest Toro showroom in the entire USA .About 6 years ago I bought a new Toro Titan 54" zero turn and the owner delivered it .He took a look at my shed which has maybe 20 Stihl saws along with maybe 30 more of different makes .Of course some are modified which as a dealer he can't do with franchising regulations .I'm not a dealer so I have no rules .I told him a few tricks in case at some time he wanted to build a hotty on the QT . ;) 

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Just another thought, the difference in color between road taxed diesel and Stihl HP Ultra doesn't exactly jump out at you.  Wonder why they didn't dye it some funky color ?

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2020, 02:25:43 PM »
Al, I have a logger friend that loses, runs over and just goes through gas cans. Hates the spill nozzles, not to mention the price of the cans. Solution is whatever jug is laying around. Bar oil, trans fluid, laundry detergent, whatever works. Laundry jugs do have some nice pouring spouts ya know. :D

On the homeowner saws getting beat up, I hope I didn't imply that they live an easier life than pro saws. Just that they see a different form of abuse from inexperienced users. My tree guys really hammer their saws too. ANY saw will lose a battle with gravity. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
Al, I have a logger friend that loses, runs over and just goes through gas cans. Hates the spill nozzles, not to mention the price of the cans. Solution is whatever jug is laying around. Bar oil, trans fluid, laundry detergent, whatever works. Laundry jugs do have some nice pouring spouts ya know. :D

On the homeowner saws getting beat up, I hope I didn't imply that they live a harder life than pro saws. Just that they see a different form of abuse from inexperienced users. My tree guys really hammer their saws too. ANY saw will lose a battle with gravity. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »
What few home owner saws I work on most time if they don't start they just buy a new one .Then eventually sell them to somebody and then here they come saw in hand .Usually it's just a carb rebuild .Once though it was filter so clogged up it couldn't breathe .I'm sure we've all seen our share of real doozies .
My bud the trimmer replaced his whole fleet about two yeas ago and hasn't had enough time to beat them up yet .When he did replace them I added to my collection about 6 more saws which BTW run just fine after I tinkered with them .He's such a Stihl loyalist I even got a fairly nice 281 Husky on that haul which really is a nice older saw .Alas though it has just became another shelf queen . 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Aftermarket Stihl Saws/Parts

Started by Lumberjack84 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 08:54:26 PM
by johndamps
xx
Aftermarket saw parts

Started by ohiowoodchuck on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post December 27, 2015, 08:35:21 PM
by ZeroJunk