iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food Plots!

Started by TroyC, August 29, 2020, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

With what little rain we've received since planting food plots it has surprisingly come up however we have a very good deer population and they just keep mowing it off :). Supposed to get 1" total over the next 3-4 days and that should help boost the plants a bit. Oldest grandson hunted opening day of rifle season here at our place and passed on a really nice 8 point because he "wanted to see what else might come along". I'm really impressed with his maturity and he wasn't the least bit disappointed about letting it walk. He did take a better 9 point a couple weeks later at his Dad's place so maybe good karma was at work 8)

TroyC

OK, already planning for next year. My setup was really good this year but want to make it better.

Got 2 things in the works. Soil samples done and I'm going to put in another 1/2 acre plot about 250 yards from the one I hunted this year. I drew in some really nice deer and saw lots of nice bucks in the early season. Elevated shooting shed going between the two plots so I can view a 360 area from a high spot and watch both plots. New plot will be just up from a seasonal creek bed just inside a heavily wooded old growth area that the deer traverse continually.

Two questions:
1. I plant oats and clover. Works great for me, simple, affordable. My soil isn't the greatest, sort of sandy, and the oats are very forgiving. The mixture provides plenty of protein and the deer love it. My friend gave me some chickory seeds. Gonna try that in the new spot to see how it does. Any tips or pointers on the chickory and how it will do in central Georgia?

2. Looking for a new shooting shed. I've made a few, 4x6, 3-5 feet off the ground, simple, cheap, easy to move with tractor forks. For the new spot I want higher, at least 8' to the floor. Been looking at the factory ones made from plastic but lots of people complain about the doors sagging and falling off after a year or so. I'm considering erecting a wooden platform and then building the house on top. I could construct the house at the shop and transport it out or build in the woods. I'd prefer not to build in the woods. My needs are simple, doesn't need heat or A/C, just a dry roof and 360 degree viewing ports with a lawn chair.

So, my two questions- what can I expect from the chickory, and what sort of elevated shooting houses have worked well for you? Metal base, wooden base, factory or homemade shed?

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on November 28, 2023, 05:42:26 PM:) Is my brass on a nail? :)

Yes Sir @Jeff.  I took this picture yesterday evening.  There has only been one buck taken since you got that one in 2018.

The Strawhouse was built in 2000 by PatD and I and yours is the only non-family deer ever taken from it.

I only saw 9 head yesterday.  (Does & young.)   

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

That's pretty neat. Looks like you have a couple nails looking to get filled

Jeff

There I is! Even if I forget everything else, I'll never forget the memories spent with my Mississippi Family.

First memory up. Lynn falling off the porch while eating crawdads. I know'd I I was where I was suppost ta be. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andries

Deer love to pick up acorns under the burr oak trees. No need to plant anything.

The dogs know that there's no chance of catching those speed demons.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

This buck came snuffling for acorns just outside the kitchen window.
Final destination, the bbq in the foreground?
Ironic, eh? 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

newoodguy78

Andries that's one very thick necked buck.

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on December 09, 2023, 04:13:16 PMFirst memory up. Lynn falling off the porch while eating crawdads. I know'd I I was where I was suppost ta be. :D

Yup, I did back my chair too close to the edge  :o  but we still ate some Crawdads.   food6

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

My mouth is watering.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

customsawyer

The deer around here really like messing with Chief. He thinks he is herding them. They think he's not to smart.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

TroyC

If those deer could learn how to kick the ball for him they would get along really well, smart or not.

Thank You Sponsors!