The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: What about this tractor deal  (Read 1914 times)

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: What about this tractor deal
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 09:47:01 PM »
Kubota is 0%, why hand over all the cash you've got, play with someone else's money. Nothing wrong with the sounds of the machine, I've been involved in some dirty repo deals loading iron as the cops show up, depends if that's the machine you want. Normally when we buy a deal I figure the additional stuff at 50% value or roll it in the deal, bought a track skidsteer with 4 attachments, guy knew he had a hard sell, I paid for 1 and got 4, sold the 2 i didnt want, it's all what your looking to buy. Warranty isnt a huge issue but are you ever doing your own wrench work ? 

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:53 PM »
If you have a Rural King any where nearby check out their 39hp tractor. FEL, hydraulics, front bucket, lots of extras, about 22k. Made by TYM Tractor company in Korea that also makes some of the small Mahindras. I found a TYM 396 with grapple and bucket that I'm real happy with. Also, check for local TYM dealers. Solid machines.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »
Buddy of mine has a 55HP LS tractor, also made in S. Korea - at the same facility IH and New Holland are made - exact same machine, just different paint.  It is a very impressive little tractor, he used it Saturday to pick up 4x4 round bales behind me and bring them to the wrapper.  One with the FEL, the other with the 3 pt hitch, didn't grunt one bit.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 11:03:17 PM »
I have asked for bids from dealers today, got one so far. Based on this, the used package saves me about 21%. Not sure that used package price is a super deal seeing it's used, a year's warranty is gone and I have to go through the hassle of paying off a loan and dealing with an individual. The pluses of the used one are it's all ready to go, just drive away with it. I'd save $8k. The seller seems legit, has a good job (big city fireman) but you never know.

Thinking back to the distant past, getting a 21% discount on something used... not a great deal. What do you guys think, is this the way the market is now? Less discount for something barely used than in the old days?
Is the bid that you are getting at 0% financing included. You might want to look into the tractor SouthSide mentioned 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
they must be pretty desperate to keep sales going if theyre lending for free. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
The Kubota deal is 0 down and 0% for five years. To me, seems that they or the dealer should provide a discount to a cash buyer since they don't have to provide free financing. Time is money.

Whoever asked... I would do routine maintenance and easy fixes as far as maintenance goes. My brother and I. Neither is expert but we grew up on a farm.
~~~
Bill

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »
Like all deals, it comes down to your particular evaluation.  Is it the exact tractor you want?  Is the equipment package what you'd buy if you were making a deal with the dealer?  How does it stack up against dealer offers and other brands?  

IF it was what I was looking for, I'd like the $8k savings personally.  I don't consider the one year less warranty to be a big factor.  I wouldn't call that a lot of hours and I would still look at as a new tractor.  That's just me though.  I prefer to pay cash for something like this (cars too FWIW).  There's a case to be made for financing though, just depends on how you like to do things.

The details certainly have to be taken care of with Kubota finance and getting clear ownership.  I would think a call to Kubota Finance could help clear that up as to the best way to proceed.  Tractors aren't titled here, but there would be a UCC filing that has to be taken care of.  Kubota finance may even offer a way to take over payments on the existing loan, if that would be desirable.  Best to ask them about all this.  

It might take eight hours of your time to deal with the details, but you'd be making $1k an hour for your time presumably.  That's a pretty good pay rate, and there's no taxes on money saved.

Good luck with it no matter how you proceed.  Sounds like you're in the market for a new tractor one way or the other.  I could use a new tractor myself.  I'll just settle for new-tractor envy right now.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
The Kubota deal is 0 down and 0% for five years. To me, seems that they or the dealer should provide a discount to a cash buyer since they don't have to provide free financing. Time is money.

Whoever asked... I would do routine maintenance and easy fixes as far as maintenance goes. My brother and I. Neither is expert but we grew up on a farm.
Maybe, but I found that car dealers are just the opposite.  They get something for going the finance route, even at 0%.  Free financing, like free shipping - it isn't really free. 
I kinda think the same way you do about getting a discount for cash, but it seems my thinking is a bit antiquated.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »
I'd finance it and keep your powder dry, 0 down is 0 down.   You know exactly what has been done or not and in a few years the warranty might be helpful.

The second best option, in my opinion, is to do as @Southside suggests and go get the generic tractor made in the same factory as the NH/Case, etc.  Going to be a fine tractor, new, and cheaper if you are determined to pay cash.  

Frankly I hate to deal with situations like kubota finance/owner etc.  But that's  me.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »
How much sales or excise tax do u save on the used machine?

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
I think I will have to pay sales/use tax on new or used. In my state, we are supposed to pay a use tax for something bought out of state. Used package is in Texas, I am in Louisiana. My understanding is that the state is getting clever in "catching" people not declaring use taxes on stuff. For instance, when I title the trailer, they would know about the trailer. But they would not know about the tractor and equipment so easily but they might still catch somebody not declaring it on their tax return.

I didn't know LS tractors have a good reputation. Will look into that. The nice thing about buying new is you can get exactly what you want. Whatever this seller has in his package is okay or maybe even fine but I might choose this and that a bit differently.

EDIT: I think the use tax is same as sales tax. Total sales tax here is 10%. Ouch. State is 4.45% and I know you have to pay them use tax. I dunno if use tax also is due county/city. (Parish is what counties are called here.) Yes, I hate paying sales tax. Say, that brings up a question I have long had... This seller paid sales tax when he bought new. I will pay when I buy it used. If I sell it, that buyer would pay sales tax? Is it never-ending taxes on goods sold, no matter how many times? If so, what a racket.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
Could you get an agricultural use tax exemption? Not sure what the laws are there but from the sounds of it your land and it's use might fit into that box.  Worth looking into that option.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »
Could you get an agricultural use tax exemption? Not sure what the laws are there but from the sounds of it your land and it's use might fit into that box.  Worth looking into that option.  
I did look into it, appears to me it would need to be a 'manufacturing' designation, not farm, for what I do. You have to have income. For me that would be firewood. I dunno if any hay cutters would even fool with seven acres if I got it hayable. After looking into it, seemed quite a hassle. And then I'd have to file reports, which I detest.
~~~
Bill

Offline Southside

• Administrator
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »
Plenty of 7 acre fields rented for every crop one can imagine.  The key will be how close the land is to the farmers next field.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
No sales tax on ag and industrial processing in Mi.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline curved-wood

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
It is worth checking if it is really 0%. On my ATV I had to pay aroung $1500 MORE if I pay cash !!! Yes MORE. The dealer told me : it is the $$ returning from the bank to him if he could get me to sign a contract.  Same thing with the pick-up $500 rebate if I finance with them. But sometimes there is a rebate if you pay cash so it is not really 0% interest. If the give $1000 rebate if you pay cash, this means that if you finance even at 0% you are still paying $1000 more. What I am trying to say is we have to ask all the questions about what is really the price and the conditions ....could be surprising

Offline livemusic

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
Wow, John Deere has zero-zero for 84 months and the package prices seem pretty amazing compared to this used Kubota package.

Here is what appears to be a close/same horsepower equivalent to the Kubota in this thread...

John Deere 3038E - 37hp 4wd tractor
  • John Deere Loader
  • 6-ft Frontier Rotary Cutter
  • 6-ft Frontier Box Blade
  • 20-ft Trailer
  • All Fees & Insurance for the term
  • No Cost, 6-Year Powertrain Warranty**
  • FREE Load Retention Package Includes: 2 chains, 2 binders and 2 ratchet straps.

$339 for 84 months = $28,476
(doesn't include taxes)

I don't know if there are any gotchas there.

What I don't understand is here is another JD package...

$349 for 84 months = $29,316

John Deere 3043D - 43hp 4x4 tractor
  • John Deere Loader
  • 5-ft Frontier Rotary Cutter
  • 5-ft Frontier Box Blade
  • 16-ft Trailer
  • All fees & insurance for the term
  • No Cost, 6-Year Powertrain Warranty**
  • FREE Load Retention Package Includes: 2 chains, 2 binders and 2 ratchet straps.

I don't understand why they have 6 ft cutter and 6 ft box blade on the smaller tractor and 5 ft cutter and 5 ft box blade on the one with more hp.

Nice thing is about this is I need a box blade and I do not need a hay spear. The used Kubota package has a hay spear but no box blade. I also would prefer to have 43hp rather than 37hp.

I just noticed that the second JD package above is a 16 ft trailer and the first JD package has a 20 ft trailer, same as the Kubota used package. Def need 20 ft.
~~~
Bill

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
Interesting. Buying stuff ainít easy when you get down to the details!  Youíve got some homework to do. 

43 hp is better than 37 in my book. Details?!

20 ft trailer is way better than 16ft. I have a 16ft and I found out itís ALMOST long enough. Looking forward to trading it for a 20 ft. 

Keep digging!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »
Maybe they send you home with the 6ft blade so you come back in and buy the tractor thatll pull it.   ;D

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
The kubota is bigger, heavier, longer wheelbase, hst (jd is manual trans).

Apples and oranges. All depends on wants and needs. 

Personally Iíd be looking at full size, a few more hours maybe. Something out of the m series kubota or similar. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bark removal prior to removing. Big deal? Little deal? No deal?

Started by Roy Beauchamp on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 07:44:21 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Husky 365 special deal or no deal? Help!!!!!

Started by Ironmower on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 06:09:44 AM
by Ironmower
xx
FORD 860 Tractor 6V or 12V & Other tractor Questions

Started by Gilman on General Board

25 Replies
Last post November 13, 2005, 06:25:25 AM
by Lud
xx
Not a bad deal.