The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: New slab lifter  (Read 305 times)

Offline shenandoahsawmill

• Share Post
New slab lifter
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
I always love sawing wide, thick gnarly looking slabs but moving/rotating/stickering them by myself has always been a major pain until now. I invested in a jib crane that has a 16 foot swing arm with a chain hoist on a trolly. I fabricated a device that allows me to pick up a slab that weighs up to 800 lbs, move it anywhere within a 32 foot diameter circle, rotate the slab then set it down on stickers in the reverse order that it was sawn off the log.The device is a horizontal beam (that is fastened to the end of the chain hoist chain) two vertical arms  travel  on rollers on the beam. The vertical arms are pulled open/closed to a common centerline with a hydraulic motor and roller chain. At the bottom of each vertical arm is a piece of angle iron that has sharpened pins on the inside face. The vertical arms/angle iron/sharp pins are pulled into the ends of the slab. Once the sharp pins are embedded in the end of the slab I lift everything with the chain hoist and move it to my stack. I can rotate the slab because I have the angle irons mounted on a shafts/pillow block bearings. All of this is difficult to describe so maybe a pic will help. 

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
Re: New slab lifter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
Ill agree. Flipping 3 thick, 48-50 slabs Is a pain. I just stickered a log of pecan but used my 5tn crane truck to roll the log first, then slid 1 slab off and onto my tractor forks, washed the slab off, then flipped the slab while on the forks and washed the other side. Then stacked and stickered. I was thinking of a way to do all that, with either my tractor or crane, and something similar popped in my head a few weeks ago. But instead of bumping pins in the slabs, using 2 peices of angle and all-thread and bolting the angle to slab/s allowing me to move 1-3 slabs at a time and rotate/flip them. 

1 person operations tend to find ways to make that 1 person, into 2-3, just to make our lives easier and less wear/tear on our bodies. 

Nice set up you got there. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log Lifter.

Started by Ole CB on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 08:54:26 AM
by Ole CB
xx
log lifter

Started by iffy on Timber Framing/Log construction

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 11:25:13 PM
by sawguy21
xx
typical slab thickness, and practical slab lengths?

Started by forrestM on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post December 30, 2018, 11:06:00 AM
by Bruno of NH
xx
bent lifter rod

Started by logman on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 06:37:56 AM
by macpower