The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Alternative Starting Methods?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Alternative Starting Methods?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
There was a gismo made that hooked to your pull cord and used a drill to pull the cord, I believe it was called the "pull start tool", if I recall it was expensive and you still needed to provide a drill.

Thinking of your vice idea, what if with the vice you also had a vertical post with a small pulley near the top. Run a rope with a loop on one end and a D handle on the other.

Put the saw bar in the vice and have a bumper on the top of the saw engine to prevent the saw from tipping, put the loop around the pull cord handle with the new rope going up over the pulley then down a bit, put your foot in the D handle and push down.

Another option, instead of the D handle, connect a L shaped leaver (think motorcycle kick starter), it would provide a positive direction and not capture your foot like a D handle.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »
There's always an option of a battery saw to get by with .

Offline ~smokey~

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 01:58:34 AM »
There was a gismo made that hooked to your pull cord and used a drill to pull the cord, I believe it was called the "pull start tool", if I recall it was expensive and you still needed to provide a drill.

Thinking of your vice idea, what if with the vice you also had a vertical post with a small pulley near the top. Run a rope with a loop on one end and a D handle on the other.

Put the saw bar in the vice and have a bumper on the top of the saw engine to prevent the saw from tipping, put the loop around the pull cord handle with the new rope going up over the pulley then down a bit, put your foot in the D handle and push down.

Another option, instead of the D handle, connect a L shaped leaver (think motorcycle kick starter), it would provide a positive direction and not capture your foot like a D handle.
Excellent ideas ! Thanks

Offline ~smokey~

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
There's always an option of a battery saw to get by with .
I looked into those their pretty nice, for years I've wanted a 12 volt saw called a Mini Brute, they came as a promotional item with large wood splitters and used a winch motor, I finally located one on ebay but the guy was on the other side of the country and completely ignored my interest, must be steep shipping costs !

Offline ~smokey~

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions, I've changed my mind on using a stationary starter motor and opted to mount the chainsaw in a receiver hitch mounted post vise, as I was pull starting my MS260 in the video due to my injury it hurt like hell !  so my decision to pick up an old used starter cover and modify it to use a cordless drill became even more obvious, the saw has been sitting in the truck for weeks now with cooler temps but still started pretty good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Alternative methods of oiling chain

Started by rasawing on Chainsaws

23 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 02:08:06 PM
by Al_Smith
xx
Alternative Timber Frame Enclosure methods

Started by S.Hyland on Timber Framing/Log construction

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 02:21:41 PM
by ziggy